lilchief

Measuring brainactivity on skydivers

Has it been done during ff? is it possible to get a mobile measuring device small enough to get graphics on a brain in freefall?

It would have been interresteing to compare the data, if possible to measure, to other activities and see if there is some nourological reason that some people mangage skydiving and others not.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

You ask an interesting question. I know there are numerous psychological papers on Type T personalities (interlaced with Jungian Classification Sytem). I think it would make for a great Master's thesis if one could tie the psychological assesment of those personality types with a physiological measure of brain activity (pre, during, post).
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I'm not sure about EEG (electro-encephologram) readings, (which is brain activity), but I have heard of people measuring things such as BP, HR, and skin conductivity during different phases aof the skydive. I can't quote a source on this, but what I heard was that in more junior jumpers, there was a large spike in physiological reaction just before exit, and then again at deployment time. The interesting part was that in people with thousands of skydives, the pre-exit spike was gone, but the pull time one remained. Again, don't quote me on any of this, I can't cite a source.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

My research over the past ten years at various boogies indicate that there is very little, if any, brain activity occuring at such events.

Heehee. I was going to say along the lines of that same thing. Especially when the beer light comes on? :D
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

but what I heard was that in more junior jumpers, there was a large spike in physiological reaction just before exit, and then again at deployment time. The interesting part was that in people with thousands of skydives, the pre-exit spike was gone, but the pull time one remained.

I can support your statement having read the same thing, but cannot cite the source also.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

My research over the past ten years at various boogies indicate that there is very little, if any, brain activity occuring at such events.

Yes, but you hang out with the swoopers and freeflyers:P

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hi lilchief,

Back in about '67 or so I read an article on something like this (PARACHUTIST or SKYDIVER magazine, don't remember which). The results were that the highest moment of anxiety was just at pull time.

The author (doing the study and who hooked the gadgets up to the jumpers) felt that it was because of the uncertainty as to whether or not the main canopy was going to open.

Now personally, I have always felt the highest anxiety at the moment of launch. I have never had any concern ( that I was aware of, and I might be brain-dead :S ) as to whether my main would open or not.

These things seem to just keep popping up,

JerryBaumchen

The author (doing the study and who hooked the gadgets up to the jumpers) felt that it was because of the uncertainty as to whether or not the main canopy was going to open.

I wouldn't say "whether or not" but how. Every time I pitch I cringe a little and thinkg "Ok, what's it gonna be."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

...reason that some people mangage skydiving and others not.

Some would argue that a simple IQ test would be an indicator. The lower down the scale, the more likely you would skydive. Can you say "wuffo"?

I know for me that your EEG would show similar results in that the spike would be at opening time. That and when laying a base for a student while teaching them docking for the first time. ("That was really good! Next time you may want to try to slow down 15 ft in front of me instead of 15 ft behind me.")
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I wouldn't say "whether or not" but how. Every time I pitch I cringe a little and thinkg "Ok, what's it gonna be."

Exactly.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I'm currently studying Psychological well-being in partipants of extreme sports as part of my thesis/dissertation in psychology. If I come accross any research I will let you know.

So far the only the thing I have found relates to heart rates in novice and expert parachutists, from a study done in 1997. The paper is: Breivik, G., Roth, W. T., & Jorgensen, P. E. (1998). Personality, psychological states and heart rate in novice and expert parachutists. Personality and Individual Differences , 25, 365-380.

If anyone has the time to complete a questionnaire as part of my study, I have posted a message on this board with a link to an online questionnaire, see "Psychological well-being and extreme sports" in this forum.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3058230;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Cheers.