Braz933

COP's?????

Are cops generally accepted into the skydive lifestyle\community?

Braz

Sure. The other skydivers will even understand when after a long day of jumping they're passing around a marijuanna pipe and you have to leave the room.

We don't care what you do (we even like skydiving lawyers). You just can't be dangerous to other people, be "that guy" who's going to end up crippled or dead due to consistently stupid behavior (no point starting a friendship that's going to end in grief), or have farts that smell too bad (think about small enclosed spaces, windows that don't open, and what happens to the gasses in your intestine when the air pressure outside drops with altitude).

There used to be quite a few in Elsinore back in the day. They even did an all cop eight-way at one time. And there was also a cop four way RW team that was competitive. The day they were going for the 8-way record I remember one officer was running late, so they were considering just flagging down the first cop driving by the DZ to fill in. Some old-timers will remember Carl Aggie from the LAPD who was on that team.

Then some years later over at Perris something really strange happened . . .

A couple of Los Angeles Sheriffs Deputies went through AFF. They got so excited about skydiving they went and talked their department into completely funding a Sheriffs Demo Team from scratch. They recruited another half dozen wuffo Deputies to begin their AFF training and placed a huge gear order at Square One for matching rigs, jumpsuits, the whole nine yards. I guess they took advantage of the fact that who ever doled out the money didn't know much about skydiving, much less demos. I think the name they picked for themselves was, "The Shooting Stars" or something like that.

I was working at Square One at the time and was the one who took their order. It was getting close to $18,000 when they got done buying every jumping do-dad there was. I recall one asking, ""What's these yellow things?" And I said, "Those are wind drift indicators. On a demo you throw one out the door on the way up to check the winds." "Okay," he said, "We'll take a hundred of those."

And it was kind of hysterical as these two guys had maybe 10 jumps each and the rest of "the team" is just beginning their AFF level ones. So I went to Kate Cooper and said, "What do we do with these guys, they haven't a clue?" Without batting an eye Kate said, "Well then, hurry up and process their order before someone gets a clue."

It was mid-summer and with every custom option available and all the cop embroidery it was going to be a while before all that gear came in. In the meantime the Sheriffs kept jumping. Several replacements were made as some going through AFF realized skydiving wasn't for them, but they just kept plugging in new guys. After a while it started to become a way to make a free first jump for a lot of them.

By this time several of them had 40 or 50 jumps. Then one day one of them went in. I don't actually recall now if he lived or died, but that was the end of it. They all quit jumping, every one of them. Then their gear started coming in with all their logos all over it, and as far as I know most of that stuff is still sitting on a back shelf at Square One. But from then on the "Shooting Stars" were forever known as the "Bouncing Badges . . ."

NickD :)

The other skydivers will even understand when after a long day of jumping they're passing around a marijuanna pipe and you have to leave the room.

Most considerate jumpers are polite enough not to light up or make transactions in front of their LEO friends.;)

And, how many of you remember the day that an entire contingent of LEO skydivers held a formal press conference at the last (next to last) Quincy denouncing the lack of professionalism the skydivers had experienced from the Quincy PD?

Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

No.

We also shun offshore (but not onshore) oil workers, pet shop owners, insurance salesmen, and the Zulu nation.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

No.

We also shun offshore (but not onshore) oil workers, pet shop owners, insurance salesmen, and the Zulu nation.

Jakee forgot teachers, paramedics, firemen, doctors, nurses and non-profit workers basicly anybody that contributes positively to society is not welcome in skydiving.

I used to be a cop...before the doping craze came into use.

Best job in the entire country.......the only exception is skydiving for a living which is what I eventually did, and then piloting commercial hot air balloons and building full scale aircraft.

Bill Cole D-41

No.

Jakee forgot teachers, paramedics, firemen, doctors, nurses and non-profit workers basicly anybody that contributes positively to society is not welcome in skydiving.

If they're all banned from the DZ, and then you frap in and nobody qualified is there to help you, wouldn't that suck? :P

I know it's a joke.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nick, I saw a "Shooting Stars" jumpsuit on the rack at Square One a while back and started laughing. Those guys didn't want any help from anyone with any experience.
They figured the police academy had them ready for demo's into the Rose Bowl!B|
Damn you have a good memory for an old fart!

http://www.floridaskydiving.com/FloridaSkydivingCenter/tabid/36/ctl/Details/mid/421/ItemID/53/Default.aspx?selecteddate=1/7/2009

25th Anniversary 25-Way Sky Dive for C.O.P.S. is being planned for January 8-11, 2009, at the Florida Skydiving Center in Lake Whales, FL. Experienced law enforcement skydivers will freefall at 120 mph to bring awareness and help raise funds for C.O.P.S. as they did in 2004 for the 20-Way Sky Dive held for C.O.P.S., during C.O.P.S.’ 20th Anniversary. For more information and how you can donate, contact coordinator Gregg Knott at [email protected] or you can visit the web at www.jumpforcops.com for further information.B|
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467