jclalor

Sport skydiving on history channel 9/19/08

I watched the show with my wife, who is supportive of my hobby and as soon as she gets some health issues taken care of is going to do a tandem, and my mother, who is less than enthusiastic about the sport. I don't think my mom felt a lot better about what I do, but then again she was making repairs on my jump suit while watching so all is not lost.

Over all, I liked it and will show it to several of my friends who wonder about this thing we do. Correcting the mistakes as we go.

And I did learn a thing or two.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

They gotta keep this show interesting, so even though 4-way is very challenging in it's own right, it's not as "extreme" as b.a.s.e or wing suit flying. Overall good show.

It wasn't about "extreme" skydiving - just "skydiving". So there was no reason to focus only on the extreme aspects of it, to the exclusion of the mainstream aspects.

they did a good job of portraying it as a safe fun loving sport full of good people.

They also spent some time talking about the adrenalin rush, with a silly graphic of fluids coursing through the blood vessels of a body. And then from there, they said that since the adrenalin rush dissipates as you gain experience doing it over and over again, that skydivers are driven to push the limits ever farther in order to obtain the same rush. Which leads them to B.A.S.E. jumping, etc. While that may be true for some, I don't think it represents the majority of skydivers, who are never motivated to take the next step to B.A.S.E. jump. They portrayed skydivers as people who are always doing ever more dangerous stunts for the sake of a thrill.

I thought this show sucked, I did not see any explanation about what attracts people to this sport other than we are just adrenaline crazed junkies. Nothing about what makes this sport challenging. I would have thought some AFF vids or RW work would have been nice.

I was the instructor and there was zero chance of him falling out of that harness...jackass

Please refrain from personal insults. You can disagree with me without resorting to name-calling.

Since there have been several incidents of people falling out of tandem harnesses, the odds are not zero. The odds can be extremely unlikely, maybe one in millions, but they are not zero.

By pointing this out, I am not disparaging your skills as an instructor. I'm simply making a comment on the statistical odds.

You are right I apologize...I could have disagreed without resorting to name calling. I was frustrated by the fact that you NITPICKED a show that truly portrayed skydiving in a positive light. They could have gone the whole "real tv" route and shown carnage. Belive me there was no shortage of carnage at the DZ that day. But, they took great pains to avoid that. As far as the chances of him falling out of the harness...the y-mod on the strong harness makes the chances of him falling out of an intact harness ZERO. Had the harness failed then I guess there would be a chance of him falling out. I could have explained all of that to him when asked about the chances of falling out..but really only a jackass would have taken that route.
---you should seriously consider removing yourself from the gene pool---

On a completely off-topic note.... Is Orange currently flying Van Pray's Desert Express? Or was that jump done somewhere else? Was just curious when I saw that plane above lush green - an indeed foreign land for that bird.

Sorry for the thread hijack! ;)

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Can't answer you about Orange...

I thought the show was one of the better ones done. There were some minor errors but considering the audience, the overall theme didn't shed a negative light on the sport, in fact quite the contrary. I think it showed how much fun we're having!

My favorite part was when he was by the pond in a lawn chair for some swoop demos and he spilled beer all over himself when the first guy went by. He yelled something about an awesome spectator sport and foamed himself. That was a cool enough maneuver for me! Beer + excitement for skydiving= Good.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

My favorite part was when he was by the pond in a lawn chair for some swoop demos and he spilled beer all over himself when the first guy went by. He yelled something about an awesome spectator sport and foamed himself. That was a cool enough maneuver for me! Beer + excitement for skydiving= Good.

Totally agree.....great scene. Not my favorite scene because I more enjoyed the ones I was in but a great part nonetheless. :)
Scrumpot, filmed at Pepperell.

I thought that was the worst part of the show. total alcohol abuse shamefull. seriously though those were sweet swoops and it was cool to see him get so pumped
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Totally agree.....great scene. Not my favorite scene because I more enjoyed the ones I was in but a great part nonetheless. :)
Scrumpot, filmed at Pepperell.

You WHORE! I'd definitely say the same thing if i was on TV...
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

On a completely off-topic note.... Is Orange currently flying Van Pray's Desert Express? Or was that jump done somewhere else? Was just curious when I saw that plane above lush green - an indeed foreign land for that bird.

Sorry for the thread hijack! ;)

Hey Grant, in case you didn't see the other (indirect) reply to you, yep, it's Van Pray's Desert Express...but it's now in residence at Skydive Pepperell in Massachusetts (since Cal City closed). Definitely looks a little weird. There's another thread open about it.

And for those of you who missed the show but don't mind paying $2 for it, it's now available for download on iTunes.
Signatures are the new black.