Da_SKiES_R_BLu

Im 16 And I Want To Jump...

Well Im 16 years old and i'v been going to the Dz with my dad fopr a couple months now. I never thought about skydiving as a hobbie or even as a sport for that matter. But once i watched my dad jump It was something i've been Dying to do!! I've been going nuts aboutthis idea since last Christmas so my dad made a deal with me. I have to have a 3.7 GPA to jump....and i have to pay for my jumps. Well, i did a little math((and believe me , i hate math)) but i found that in order to have a 3.7 GPA id have to have straight As and a C in Chemistry.. Um yah... Never goin to happen!! So he was understanding and sain i could get a 3.5 and a C in chemistry. So im working Hard for the past 2 1/2 weeks and my grades have ALL come up but not to these standards.... Im not sure if ill ever get to jump....what should i do??? Or say???

Im not sure if ill ever get to jump....what should i do??? Or say???

Uhhh, if you're paying for it, then that's one thing. If your parents are paying for it, then do what they want you to do. It really is that simple. If the DZ will even let you jump prior to turning 18.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Just replied in your other post but you can jump at 17 with a parents permission.

That all depends on the DZ, local and state laws.

For instance, in Texas you can not legally enter into a contract until you are the age of legal majority. What that means is that the waiver would be null and void if you signed it and were under 18. Also, guardians are not able to enter into a contract for their underage children which would directly effect the children's legal rights. So that means that the parent's permission wouldn't matter either.

This has been discussed at length more than a few times. Please use the search function!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah the drop zone will allow me to jump at 16 but i have to jump as a student, and i have to have parent permisssion. And the thing about paying for it is ii can pack shoots all day and earn the money to jump but i still have to have parental permission and he probly wont let me jump cuz of my grades.... However i do have a 3.1666 as of today :D

Actually I was wrong according to USPA it's 16 with a notorized waiver of parent permission. I wasn't aware of any state laws that would prevent this. Wish I had my copy of the FAR's handy. Anyway she'll get there sounds like she's a good kid and dad wants the best for her. wish I would have had that much.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

If you keep working hard and proving yourself he will let you jump. We are not all 4.0 students I left H.S. with a 2.1 gpa then after working a few years went to collage and held a 3.8. Keep working and you'll have your day trust me.B|

ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Well Im 16 years old and i'v been going to the Dz with my dad fopr a couple months now. I never thought about skydiving as a hobbie or even as a sport for that matter. But once i watched my dad jump It was something i've been Dying to do!! I've been going nuts aboutthis idea since last Christmas so my dad made a deal with me. I have to have a 3.7 GPA to jump....and i have to pay for my jumps. Well, i did a little math((and believe me , i hate math)) but i found that in order to have a 3.7 GPA id have to have straight As and a C in Chemistry.. Um yah... Never goin to happen!! So he was understanding and sain i could get a 3.5 and a C in chemistry. So im working Hard for the past 2 1/2 weeks and my grades have ALL come up but not to these standards.... Im not sure if ill ever get to jump....what should i do??? Or say???

If you write better I'm sure you'll grades will improve.

If you keep working hard and proving yourself he will let you jump. We are not all 4.0 students I left H.S. with a 2.1 gpa then after working a few years went to collage and held a 3.8. Keep working and you'll have your day trust me.B|

Get those grades up girl and go pak my chute for sunday

Here in NZ they'll take you as long as the harness fits. No age limits it seems.

Having said that, my ex wife (former student of mine in the 80s) will not let our daughter jump till she turns 18 this month.

Guess what she's getting from me for her birthday.:)Haven't jumped myself for years now but in honour of the occasion I plan on doing a couple on the same day, hopefully one on the same load with her.

Before anyone jmps to conclusions, I do not expect to getting out close to her on her tandem or docking on her or any such thing.:D

Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Uhh DER!!!

what do you think i've Been Doing Silly old man...((jk your young as you want to be, dont hold that against me :D )) :D
But you gotta admitt coming from an F to a 67% D+ In one week is pretty much BA. Expecially with cheerleading going on....

BTW... Theres a HUGE cheerleading Competion on saturday At the Denver Collaseum if any one is interested. $10 for adults & $8 for ages 5 and up. Children under 4 are free.

right now you live with your parents so their rules are pretty much what has to go....but even if you don't get to jump...go to the dz and learn as much as possible. watch everyone land....learn how to pack....absorb as much as you can from the instructors. it may take patience and time but you will get there....there is always the tunnel to go and spend money on to work on your skills.....some of it will transfer when you get into the air. enjoy your adventure...it is a great one and skydiving can change your life...i know it changed mine.;)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Money… Pack! Do a really good job and be nice and you will likely get tips. If you are a cute cheerleader, pack well and the tips will come flowing in. Search this forum for info on what makes a good packer.

Permission... Assuming your state law will permit you to consent: Study hard, do chores at home, be nice. Don’t be a spoiled, bitchy cheerleader.

Preparation
Hang out at the DZ.
-- Watch lots of landings (much to be learned by that).
-- Learn about gear. (When there is a weather hold, befriend the rigger.)
-- Listen to jumpers talk about jumping (both what went well and what went badly).
-- BEWARE of the land sharks at the DZ!

Read section 4 of the SIM. http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section4/tabid/166/Default.aspx

Spend time (and $$$) in a vertical wind tunnel with a coach.

Watch the all malfunction videos on www.skydivingmovies.com. This will give you a feeling for how quickly malfunctions develop, and how quickly you must resolve them. This ain’t bowling… If you screw up you can kill or maim yourself OR OTHER PEOPLE.

Random Abuse

Just because English is your "best subject" doesn’t mean that your written English is good. :|
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Get your grades up. Keep them up. Then you can jump. The other advantage is that keeping your grades up gives you lots of other advantages down the road, too - more choices for college, and better choices for jobs when you start working. Really. Not to mention that the better classes are more interesting.

Yeah, it sucks when you're not already there, but it sounds like your father has both your fun and your best interests at heart. So keep it up. It won't happen in a week, but, ya know, that's ok -- generally only bad things happen really quickly; good things take some time, preparation, and being ready.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So im working Hard for the past 2 1/2 weeks and my grades have ALL come up but not to these standards.... Im not sure if ill ever get to jump....what should i do??? Or say???

Spend less time on the internet complaining and more time studying. Two and a half weeks of dedicated effort? Wow. :S Suck it up cupcake, get out the books and bury your head in them for a few months. ;) Trust me long-term payback from education is much more important that your desire to jump. Your father seems like a reasonable guy and has your best interests at heart.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

What are the grade requirements for high school cheerleading in Colorado? Where I grew up, it was really strict. We would have been put on the bench if we had a C in any subject let alone an F for any length of time. This was district wide regulations not just recommendations. I'm not saying that's the way it is there, but I am curious...
At my school, the cheerleaders had some of the best grades simply because they didn't want to get put on academic probation.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Whell things have really gone down hill but at my school weere trying to bring back tradition...

According to CHAASA We cant have two F's or we are benched but according to my coach we have to have C's and higher. Below that and we get two demerits. For each game were benched we get two demerits. At 8 demerits we get kicked off the team... Shes strick but we need that because the past two years weve fell apart. I have all C's and up but i have to get a 3.5 to jump

I have all C's and up but i have to get a 3.5 to jump

That's a shame. With better academic priorities for competing sports, you would have been much closer already to your 3.5 so you CAN jump. Good luck! I'm sure you'll achieve it. I hope to see you in the air some time. :)
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity