Da_SKiES_R_BLu

I need Some good Questions to ask!!

My instructor is a really cool guy. And i appreciate him letting me jump even tho im way young for this adult sport so he gave me quite a bit of homework.
He wants me to come back and i need to have a bunch of questions for him...
Im not really sure what kind of Questions to ask since im new to this sport...any ideas on what to say?? Thanks!!

Here's a radical idea...

READ what he assigned!!! (I know.... I said this was radical) As you read, mark things that don't make sense or are confusing. Take those things to him as questions.

Of course, if all else fails you could ask "Will you help me join the mile high club?"
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Ok, so why not download the SIM and read it. Then ask questions about any part you don't understand. For some reason reading your post I feel like you're asking us to do your homework for you.

So in school if you don't make a passing grade you can probably take it again. If you fail to understand something in skydiving and don't make a failing grade there you may not live to retake that test.

-Michael

Like my friend above says, the SIM is a great place to start. Just to get you going I'll drop some idea's your way which I think will be useful to you. Ask about things such as landing patterns, what are they and at what altitudes, what is the difference between F111 and ZP? What is the difference between 7 cell and 9 cell canopies. Are reserves the same material as the mains and do they work the same way? What is an AAD and how does it work. Ask about turbulance, thermals and dust devils. Ask about wing loadings, what it means etc. Does a rigger need to be certified? What is the FAA and what role does it play?
I'm sure there's loads more things you'll want to ask as you get more involved in it. I have a funny feeling this post is as much making friends/networking as it is anything else, which is useful, skydivers are a good source of information - both good and bad!
Just to add - learn about how to handle different types of emergencies - always useful :)

umkay thanx....

i really was just looking for a place to start tho.

that IS a place to start you dont know ANYTHING so the SIM, is exactly where you should start.
If you dont like that answer,
Change the question and pose it elsewhere.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

why are you being so mean all of a sudden?? you were nice to me before.....

I'm not being mean, you asked a question here and got several people telling you the same thing. but that's not th answer you wanted to hear.

Get the SIM and read it, once you start reading it, if you have questions raised from there, like things you dont understand, then ask those questions here. or to your INstructor.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Im not really sure what kind of Questions to ask since im new to this sport...any ideas on what to say?? Thanks!!

Would a buying a velocity 79 for a first canopy make me cooler and more socially acceptable a the dz?

Which wingsuit should I get for my consoles? A GTI or a V2?

How do I get into Style?

What's the best camera for me to use to film my jumps?

Can I breathe in freefall?

Do you go up when the parachute opens?

Your profile says you are a cheerleader (I think). Ask how skydiving is like or unlike cheerleading (I'm serious about that, the objective should be to have him help you relate skydiving to other things you do in life).

Or...

How safe is this sport?

What are the three things that cause the most injuries in skydiving, and how can they be prevented?

What are the three things that cause the most injuries among skydiving students, and how can they be prevented?

What should I do if I stall the parachute too high?

How low is too low to make hard turns? How about gentle turns?

What do I do if I'm going to land off the airport?
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I appreciate that you are trying to help her, but don't you think you should let her come up with the questions? If we give her questions, she probably won't care about the question or the answers and therefore won't bother to remember them. In skydiving you should want to learn. I started jumping 6 months ago and I still ask way too many questions. I'm pretty sure the instructors are annoyed at how many questions I ask. But I'd rather ask too many than not enough and get myself in a bad situation or do something stupid that could kill me (like i asked one of my instructors if it was ok for me to rent a 190 instead of a 210).

If you can't do a little reading on your own and come up with some intelligent questions, again, on your own,maybe you should come back when you are a little older.

This, assuming you are not trolling.

I tend to agree that if you don't care enough to read and come up with some questions, you probably won't care about the answers to the questions that are given to you.

Congrats on your first jump!

Having said that, you have just experienced one of the reasons WHY this is considered an adult sport: You are required to think for yourself 100% of the time, and take 100% responsibility for your actions, because you will only have yourself to rely upon when it counts.

Two publications I can personally recommend are "The Skydiver's Handbook" by Dan Poynter, and the SIM (Skydivers' Information Manual.) Both will help you formulate proper questions.

Don't take what others say as "mean" - they've been around the sport for awhile, and we ALL have seriously injured and DEAD friends. It's not that they are being mean - they have learned to recognize attitudes and mindsets (a good number of folks here ARE instuctors, after all.) Some attitudes will get you killed - no joke. I'm not saying you have a bad attitude; you have a noob's attitude, and you've complicated matters just a bit by being so young. But that's OK.

I know you're new to the sport, and you're making an effort, but the first thing you did after your instructor told you to have some questions was come here hoping to receive those questions. To some of us, that's a red flag. Think for yourself, and study your ass off. Dropzone.com will still be here.

Again, congrats on your first jump!
T.I.N.S.

everyone is telling you to read the S.I.M. this is a really good idea.

what they failed to mention is what the S.I.M. is, or where you get it.

the S.I.M. = Skydivers Information Manual

it is located here, it is a free download. http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/Downloads/Man_SIM_2008.pdf

after reading it, you will have plenty of questions to ask.

Ok, you got some good answers and some not-so-good answers. Being totally new, you can split the questions into two groups - procedure related, and other. Procedure related is the stuff in the SIM, and what you will learn from your Instructors, like altitude awareness, how to pull, how to fly the canopy, the PLF, etc.. "Other" is everything else - what if I get dizzy, what if I puke, do I need gloves, helmets, goggles, what are the "beer rules", etc. See what I mean?

Sit down and carefully visualize a jump from start to finish, and I'll bet you will have questions popping up all over!
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

call me what you want but i never did anything to you..... Please stop being rude like this...

But you trashed some of us pretty hard in your first thread, and a lot of those people, including me are his friends. One thing you will find out hopefully sooner than later is that the "family" bond amongst skydivers is really strong.