CMiller

Jump Tickets, how high before you quit?

Oil prices are down, but it's not going to be that way for long. Maybe this poll applies more to younger jumpers such as myself, who will inevitably see the day when oil becomes scarce and probably face this dilemma in our lifetimes. At what point would you stop jumping due to the price of a lift ticket? All figures in US dollars.

i picked no response due to a few factors, its hard to decide what my financial responsibilities will be or my financial status will be in however many years, look at the jump tickets when skydiving started out, 3, 4 dollars for a lift, now its 25 to 30 in places. for me to answer that question truthfully i would have to see the raise, not just hear about it.
JewBag.
www.jewbag.wordpress.com

i picked no response due to a few factors, its hard to decide what my financial responsibilities will be or my financial status will be in however many years, look at the jump tickets when skydiving started out, 3, 4 dollars for a lift, now its 25 to 30 in places. for me to answer that question truthfully i would have to see the raise, not just hear about it.

I've got to agree. There will likely be so many things going on in the future, I have no way to say.

I voted no response.

As with other posters... although I voted $50, it may before OR after that! My passion for life leads me to experiences that are hard to put a price tag on. Skydiving is one of those things that will ALWAYS remind me that I am alive and kickin'.. so its something that I want to do as long as I can.. no matter what the price! Of course that will be determined in the future! blue (cheap) skies!
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

Oil prices are down, but it's not going to be that way for long. Maybe this poll applies more to younger jumpers such as myself, who will inevitably see the day when oil becomes scarce and probably face this dilemma in our lifetimes. At what point would you stop jumping due to the price of a lift ticket? All figures in US dollars.

It depends on inflation. If it's bad enough that wages have gone up 10X I'll still be jumping with $500 tickets. Depends on what else I'm spending money on - it'll be nice once the kids graduate from college.

The end of cheap petroleum needn't be a problem.

Turbines will run on bio-diesel. There are already STC conversions putting turbines (Soloy) and diesel (Thielert) engines in Cessnas.

Piston engines can be modified to run on cellulosic ethanol.

Arbitrary carbohydrates (turkey crap, agricultural waste, etc) can be converted into hydrocarbons using thermal depolymerization or genetically engineered micro-organisms (LS9 in the Silicon Valley is making bacteria or yeasts which eat carbs and poop oil).

There's also the potential for using electric power via fuel cells or better battery/alternative technology like carbon nanotube ultra capacitors.

look at the jump tickets when skydiving started out, 3, 4 dollars for a lift, now its 25 to 30 in places.

Something else affecting the cost of modern day skydiving...
From what I have read of skydiving history, most drop zones that charged $4 per lift in the old days were flying 5-6 jumpers in single engine Cessnas. Now days, we ride up in half the time in big, fast climbing turbine airplanes that are much safer to jump out of, all the other variables being equal.
Speed (and safety) costs money, so the age old question is-How Fast Do You Want To Go?

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

look at the jump tickets when skydiving started out, 3, 4 dollars for a lift, now its 25 to 30 in places.

Something else affecting the cost of modern day skydiving...
From what I have read of skydiving history, most drop zones that charged $4 per lift in the old days were flying 5-6 jumpers in single engine Cessnas. Now days, we ride up in half the time in big, fast climbing turbine airplanes that are much safer to jump out of, all the other variables being equal.
Speed (and safety) costs money, so the age old question is-How Fast Do You Want To Go?

just lets not forget to adjust for inflation.

$4 in 1965 is worth $27.50 in 2008

discuss

If they get that high I dont think Id quit but Id slow down. And no more wasting jumps IE: like when you go on a jump that you know wont work but you go anyways or jumping with someone just off student status who wants to learn to sit fly. I think I would be a lot more selective on which jumps I go on.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

I'M am getting very tired of the DZO's being made out as the bad guys. Most DZO's are doing everything possible to make skydiving as cheap as possible for everyone. DZO's are not the bad guys they are only trying to survive and maybe make a few dollars. Personally I will always skydive regardless of the cost as I personally love skydiving and I know the DZO is trying as much as possible to make it affordable to me:P

Kirk
He's dead Jim

Even if the price of fuel gets out of hand, there will always be a way to jump. Perhaps not the recent era where you could go to a place like Perris and do 10 jumps in a day, but the sport will still be available.

Anchoring a balloon over land, or perhaps a natural span to get the height easier means a pretty easy way to get enough altitude it's no longer a base jump. Free floating balloons and blimps remain an option - not sure how much of the cost is the fuel versus the airship cost. We can always befriend gliders to take us up to high altitude. Or embrace the BASE side, of course.

I love the slingshot approach too, but with a bit more altitude than that success at Perris.

Here at my home dz we are paying actual 36$ for 11483 feet (3500m) and the prices will never go lower. [:/]

In a few years skydiving will be in the most cases a hobby for higher-income earner.

most of my jump buddies, with over 70 jumps per year are
university graduates or self-employed or make payed jumps.
[:/]

Turbines will run on bio-diesel. There are already STC conversions putting turbines (Soloy) and diesel (Thielert) engines in Cessnas.

No way to cover the demand without to affect on the food prices.
Starvation in the 3. world would be one result.

no response. i'd just adjust my jump budget accordingly and jump fixed objects a lot more.

and what's with the doom and gloom about oil scarcity? there is research going on for alternative fuels and engines for anything that currently runs on petroleum based fuel, including planes.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I'M am getting very tired of the DZO's being made out as the bad guys. Most DZO's are doing everything possible to make skydiving as cheap as possible for everyone. DZO's are not the bad guys they are only trying to survive and maybe make a few dollars. Personally I will always skydive regardless of the cost as I personally love skydiving and I know the DZO is trying as much as possible to make it affordable to me:P

I'm just sayin if 100 people go into a car dealer and tell them they were willing to pay $2000 dollars over sticker price how long do you think it would be before the price of the car went up? Not that I think that the DZO's will raise prices based on this thread I was just makin a joke. :P:)But it would be nice to see prices fall on everything oil related. when price went up on oil everything followed pretty quickly. It would be nice to see the same happen as oil prices fall. But that's a different topic altogether.
I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

Ive feel lucky that i have been able to have lodi as my home dz, $13 jumps to 13k , $5 hop'n'pop's
$25 jumps at another dz already feels to high, but i guess i would pay whatever the cost to jump but maybe just have to cut back a bit, maybe when the prices skyrocket (hopefully not) I will have to learn how to base jump......

Im interested in seeing if the electric powered planes make it into our sport, hopefully the cost is cheaper....

>In a few years skydiving will be in the most cases a hobby for
>higher-income earner.

While I think that costs will go up, I don't think it will be a big change. The airline industry will be affected far more than we will be, since at turbine DZ's it's generally a little over a gallon per person per load. So even if it goes to $10 a gallon (which would nearly shut down the airline industry) that's only an additional $6.

>No way to cover the demand without to affect on the food prices.

True - but that's true whether you jump using oil (oil costs directly affect food costs) biodiesel (competes with other crops) or eat meat (1 lb of meat requires 16lbs of corn.) That's a better topic for Speaker's Corner though.

At my current jump numbers, I would pay up to $100 AUD, that's taking into account a decent amount of time elasped/financial crisis and a large oil prices.

They're $40 to 10k, $45 to 14k at the moment.

I'll pay whats fair. Fuel prices are down over 1/3rd in the past few months, I would like the prices to drop.

So says someone who pays for maybe 10 jumps a year:P

It really all is relative when it comes to price. I took a helicopter ride around Manhattan and it was about $250. It was cool, but nothing like a skydive. I just payed about $40 to take my family to a stupid movie. Payed $250 to rent a car for 3 days.

When I think of it that way, $30 seems pretty reasonable for a skydive.

I voted $80. I'd still jump at 50, 60 dollars, but much fewer jumps. What is a lift ticket at a ski resort now? Around $75?

Yeah but at a ski resort your skiing all day long, including rides to the top. Can't really compare the two

Maybe thats how you see it. For me, when I go to the drop zone, I stay all day long (just like skiing). I do all kinds of things from jumping, to learning to socializing to drinking beer. So I CAN compare the two.

Yeah but at a ski resort your skiing all day long, including rides to the top. Can't really compare the two

Maybe thats how you see it. For me, when I go to the drop zone, I stay all day long (just like skiing). I do all kinds of things from jumping, to learning to socializing to drinking beer. So I CAN compare the two.

Easy killer no need to get all capital CAN on me. Of course you CAN do whatever you want. I just don't see how the two relate. When I go skiing I'll take at least forty runs, Hang out at the lodge, drink, socialize, Mmm chili bread bowls, hot tub at the end of the day etc. Damn I wanna go skiing now.

But I really don't feel like getting in a debate I'm tired from studyin all day. If you see the relevance more power to ya.

Both sports are great and i won't stop doing either. I think the price right now for both are not so bad. Though I do remember when you could get a all day ski pass for $20. :)
I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.