cesslon

Failed AFF 3

Some how I didn't fail in AFF, BUT I failed a lot of IAD levels first. I moved to AFF from a DZ that was a IAD mill because I had to keep repeating first the practice pulls, then the clear and pulls, then the 10 second delays ---- I just needed a different method.
HANG IN THERE! When yo get your license few people (if any) will ask how many levels you failed.

You did NOT 'fail'! You are learning to skydive and therefore, some lessons may need to be repeated. Remember, it still counts as a jump in your logbook. 999 jumps from now, just as when you were in first grade, it won't matter that you had to repeat a lesson. It WILL matter that you are still having fun, being safe, and SKYDIVING FOR GODSSAKES!
Purple Skies, D.
Attitude is everything!

He,He, Welcome to the wonderful world of skydiving my friend.

We all go through exactly the same things that your going through but you will only appreciate this in six months time and smile to yourself like I'm doing now, when you see a bouncing young AFF Virgin like yourself niavley thinking "Well if I learn to skydive this week, then wingsuit next week, Oh and does anybody have a BASE rig for sale?"

Firstly, you didn't fail. You landed in once piece which is the ONLY thing that matters. Between now and qualifying you will do most if not all of the following....

1.Have crap jumps when you don't do something right the first time you try it i.e. PRP, turns, dive exit, Backloop, barrel rolls etc....

2. Feel like a C@*t

3. Have AWSOME jumps when you nail that thing
that youv'e been beating yourself up about.

4. Feel like a F#%*ing skygod.

5. Bore everybody stupid gibbering on about that thing you nailed, "geeze, ya should have seen it, dja wanna watch it on video, i'll just go get it"

6. Get your arse chewed by the Chief instructor for just about anything and everything.

7. Get real tired of all the criticism from know it all instructors.

8. Get in a huff for getting your arse chewed by Chief instructor once more and call him a miserable old C~@t under your breath.

9. Decide that once you finish learning to skydive here you will go jump elsewhere, where your skygod talents are appreciated.

10. Realise the importance of getting your arse chewed when he stops you running round the corner of the hanger and into a spinning prop.

11. Realise that your instructors do know everything, it just takes time for your tiny mind to absorb it all whilst it is trying to overcome the fact that a rather hard planet is screaming towards it at 120MPH!

12. Decide that you'll never jump elsewhere as these are the best friend you'll every meet.

13. Jump lots of other places and meet lots more best friends.

14.Forget how a wind sock works and land downwind at what will feel like 500MPH.

15. Buy lots of beer.

16. Have lots of beer bought for you.

17. Have the piss constantly ripped out of you for everything you do until you have at least 10,000 jumps.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that you are going to have lots of highs and lows along the way,
down let it get you down, i promise you its worth it in the end.

Oh, and by the way, once you Qualify AFF you will then realise that you haven't actually even started learning to skydive yet.

Enough of the BS, back to your jump. Two things you have realised yourself here.

1. You improvised and tried something again because you thought you'd not done it right. Your instructor is expecting you to do things in the order that he told you too, he is watching you like a hawk and will tell you if you did it right when your safe on the ground. If you start doing your own thing he is going to be on his guard because he can't predict what your going to do next. Think sheep, BAA, BAA, BAA, follow the drill to the letter.

2. You showed confusion at the signals, again your instructors would have picked up on this.

1% of you instructors job is to teach students how to skydive, the other 99% is to make sure they don’t kill themselves in the process. You did a good job on the jump and your instructor would have probably been 95% sure that you'd pull OK. However, because you'd shown a little bit confusion and fumbled your handle he wasn't going to take any risks and removed that 5% chance that you'd fumble again/get more confused/panic

Everyone seems to get bruised and battered to some extent by the student gear, it's the size of a house and the harness has to adjust to take all shapes and sizes and hence will never be a comfortable fit. Get someone your size to let you try their nice small rig on. WOW huge difference right! Now give it back! you ain’t gonna be needing that for a long time yet, your just gonna have to put up with that instrument of torture for a while longer.

You have lots of things in your favour, including.

1. You are VERY excited about skydiving. Even when you have these bad days, you'll be back for more.

2. You live in OZ for F~*s sake, try learning to jump in England where its ALWAYS raining,cloudy,windy, or freezing, and generally all at once.

You have one thing against you.

1. You are VERY excited about skydiving. Calm down and RELAX, there is no rush.

You have one thing against you.

1. You are VERY excited about skydiving. Calm down and RELAX, there is no rush.

I can't say it any better. Me, too. Don't rush. I've had to repeat Level 2 and now Level 6. To be honest, I felt that I was falling behind since Level 4, and wanted more time to get used to freefall. Now I get to do just that. It caught up with me, and I am lucky to have had an instructor who saw the anxiety in my soul apart from technically passing the level. Don't worry, hang in there, this is skydiving for goodness sake. I'm with you! Skydiving is in the eyes, not technical performance.

The solo exit spooked me. It felt much different, but the rules are the same, arch hard, get stable. I did that on my own in freefall after tumbling the exit, so why not right out of the airplane? Hang in there, you are exactly where 90% of us are technically, and 100% where we are at emotionally. Feel free to PM me if you have any other concerns or questions, OK?

Bob your fellow newbie
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

No worries! I failed AFF 4 spectacularly -- only saw one finger of 'legs out' and pulled at 8500. This sounds simple but deep breaths, and I mean serious, tantra-style deep breaths, on the way up helped me slow the dives down and not outthink myself.

It's worth saying again: the punishment is the same as the reward. You get to jump again!
blue skies-
W

It was afterwards... my JM and I both landed off and a had a nice invigorating walk & agriculture lesson: walk *down* the cornfield rows. Walking across causes crop damage. It's such a multidisciplinary sport...;)

blue skies -
W

----------------------------------------
'Of course it hurts. The trick is not *minding* that it hurts.'
- T.E. Lawrence

Don't feel bad, I failed (sorry...I mean, "must repeat") AFF3 too. I jumped on 1/17, passed AFF2, went up for AFF3, all going good until...they let me go and I started a slow spin to the right. Instead of correcting it the right way, I turned at my waist and set myself into a spin (which by the way was a lot fun but definitely not what I was supposed to do :P).

Yes, it sucks but you'll (and I'll) get next time. My biggest problem is that I just have to relax and "feel" the jump. Good luck :)

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

You didn't die.
So you didn't fail.

You however did not meet the Targeted Learning Objectives.

Don't do that again.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ive been thinking this all over the last few weeks

1 thing ive realised also is
im writting this as it might help other students

was useally i get bad bruising that last 3 weeks and well this time i didnt really get any visible brusing although i felt bruised
now i contribute this to 2 things
1 a diff rig
2 reading on here every1 telling me to tighten the straps as tight as possible
which i did but i think this also made the jump bad for me
as on the ground i remember reefing the leg straps tight and it tightening the whole rig with me shoulders getting pulled forward each time lol
all i could think was just worry about not brusing ya legs lol
so anyway my shoulders were bent forward and i couldnt arch as easily
as im guessing this is why i was going more on a head down angle and not belly first

like i wasnt upside down but i could tell i was on a angle as i was waiting for a few seconds for me to have leveled out but i never leveld out as fast as before
then my instructor shook me and i arched hard at the chest and as i couldnt the shoulders and i leveld out more
i think this shoulder foward bit at the start really through me off when i let go and wonderd why it was taking longer to be level

so to any other newbies be sure to test ya arch on the ground first
ill be sure to next time
:D

Ive been thinking this all over the last few weeks

There is your problem right there.

1. Dont think.

2. Try to do as many levels as you can in one day. The AFF process is so much easier this way. (Sorry if this is a repeat but I didnt feel like reading the post.)

no more then 1 jump a week is physcially impossible

well technically i could do it but it would rip my legs clean off

i have trouble moveing for a week after jumping up untill this recent jump my last 2 took 3 weeks for the brusing to heal where as this jump i was sore in the hips as useal but no bruising

its more the hip damage that prevents me then the bruising

and i did what every1 here told me about tighter leg straps and it worked as i was capable of jumping within 8 days of my last jump

but the tight straps were also a hinderance like i said above

:)

It sounds like you're getting some really hard openings. Skydiving should not be incapacitating. If they insist on packing you slammers then I have a suggestion.

Cut out a rectangular piece of foam. Something relativly thick. cut out part of it so your package will fit and put the damn thing in your pants to absorb some of the opening shock.

Looks funny but man... it sure helps. I had to use this for a couple weeks after my level-5
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

dont worry. it took me 16 jumps to get through aff. 7 of them on the last day. lol.

when an instructor shakes you it means EYE CONTACT, not arch. next time you get shook make eye contact with main side instructor.

keep it up.
namaste, motherfucker.

Every one hits a wall as a student. mental preperation and lots of ground practise for muscle memory saves time and money. never dwell on mistakes or you tend to repeat them. fix it in your mind and move on. easier said than done but it works. I fell out of the dam plane on my first jump.
IAD not AFF.

I failed my first attempt at Level V (I probably should have failed Level IV) and I was 1/2 way towards failing my 2nd attempt when the light in my head clicked. I wouldn't say that skydiving has been easy for me, but ever since that moment, things have made sense. Relax and it'll come to you as well. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It is an instructors job to ensure that the student has been adequately prepared. Based on your narrative there appear to be several instances where they must have failed in their obligation to you, one of the more serious, allowing you to use a rig that was unfamiliar.

One of the most difficult tasks of an instructor is also to teach the student that they, the student, are responsible for making the decision to skydive. If you are not prepared, don't agree to go. The tough part is, how as a student, are you qualified to make that decision. Start by using common sense. The details are important, more important than your desire to get in the air again.

Exactly where the line of reponsibility for a student's skydive is drawn between the student and instructor can be debated endlessly and I will leave that to others. You need more resonsible instructors and you should have learned a lesson. Take more reponsibility yourself and don't jump if you are not prepared.

That is a lesson that needs to follow you as long as you jump. A good example can be found in the thread on night jumps. If you are inexperienced at night jumps, you might not want to go to a large resort DZ and get on an Otter with 20 or so other people whom you probably don't don't know just because it is being done. When you do have some experience, you will know how dangerous it can be. When you find yourself shouting "fuck you" at someone, maybe you should be asking yourself why you were on the load with that person in the first place. I hope you can see my point. I'm not trying to pick on anyone here, just trying to point out that we need to start learning more about reponsibility and we need to do that starting with the first jump. A good instructor makes that part of each and every lesson, at laest in my opinion.
alan

(I had pc hesitation) the JM said he had to pick the bag off my back to get it to deploy.

I'm probably all wrong on this because I've only had to deal with a pc hesitation on a student a few dozen times, but in those times, just dipping the students legs a little always cleared the pc for a normal deployment.

"Picking the bag off" while a pc and bridle are flopping around seems a bit extreme and in my opinion, adds an increased element of risk, especially of entanglement. Maybe it sounded pretty cool during the debrief though: "Ya, you had a pc hesitation, so I had to pick the bag off your back." Very heroic as opposed to just tipping your body a little.

At any rate, you surely received some remedial instruction on deployment procedures and now know how to identify a pc hesitation and clear it on your own.
alan