Hazarrd

Reasoning for getting rid of Cypres flawed?

My 4 year service requirement has come up for my Cypres and I'm giving thought to just selling the device. The main reasoning is that I don't really feel that a.) I need the device and that b.) It is worth the money to keep it updated for the 2/4 year services.

Is this the same as saying that I value my life at $250 (or whatever the cost is for the service)?

I'm curious if anyone else has sold their Cypres for similiar reasons. As of now I'm having the Cypres sent in for the service and when it returns I will make my decision to keep or sell it.

.-.

Up to you. They've saved a lot of people; they haven't saved others. If it is a choice to use the money to either stay current or refit the cypres, then staying current is a better investment in terms of safety. But if you can afford to do both, that's the safest option.

Well if you're paying to have the service done anyway, might as well keep it for another 4 years at least.

Have you changed your mind about AADs for some reason, or did you never feel it was necessary? What makes you think you won't ever need yours when so many others have needed theirs?

Course the vast majority of cypres fires occur during/right after pulling the main. That's why so many people think AADs INCREASE your overall risk. It's been proven over and over and over again that when skydivers go low, they go for their main.

Personally I'd rather take my chances with 2 out rather than nothing out.

Dave

Is this the same as saying that I value my life at $250 (or whatever the cost is for the service)?

It means that you don't think it's worth spending the money it takes to avoid the added risk.

I keep a Cypres in my main rig - when it needed maintenance I repacked my birdman and main rigs and put my second Cypres into my main rig. I own one for the birdman rig I flock with, haven't been doing that lately, and will wait to put it back in until I repack that.

I also have a big rig for jumping BASE canopies out of airplanes. It doesn't get used for relative jumps where altitude awareness loss is most likely, a Cypres wouldn't fire where that happened on a birdman jump, and the rest of my jumps on it are all hop-and-pops. I wouldn't buy one for me but have been more careful than I otherwise would for my fiancee's sake and might put one in for that reason.

i jump at a small dz, and am still a student, so i'm not getting a cypress installed on my rig i'l jump when i get my license. when i get good enough to go to another dz, i'll get one installed then. not too worried about ever having 2 out, i have a round reserve. my opinion is it never hurts to have one, like bigun said. just an opinion.

i jump at a small dz, and am still a student, so i'm not getting a cypress installed on my rig i'l jump when i get my license. when i get good enough to go to another dz, i'll get one installed then. not too worried about ever having 2 out, i have a round reserve. my opinion is it never hurts to have one, like bigun said. just an opinion.

Are you saying that immediately after you graduate and get your own gear, you don't plan to have an AAD, but after you continue to jump for a while, then you'll get one?

AADs help when something totally unexpected and usually unpredictable happens, or when the jumper loses altitude awareness. Both these things can happen to anyone at any time, but there are certain risk factors, and I would think having 100 jumps would be a big risk factor.

I have a second rig I am not jumping right now basically because I haven't bought an AAD for it. I'm not saying I won't jump without an AAD (I have done this when demoing gear*), but for my own rigs my rule is if an AAD is appropriate, I can't afford to jump the rig until I can afford the AAD.

(* I realize that demoing gear is a risk factor. It made me sweat. I compensated by simplifying my dives, preparing for and planning them harder, and doing only a few.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

That is true, but it can help (to the certain degree) with cutaways. Some people freeze up and never pull reserve. My last cutaway was more then 1000 jumps ago. I practice EP every time before I jump but that does not make me an expert. I think this is a good reason to keep AAD.

>Some people freeze up and never pull reserve.

Yikes! A cypres will NOT "pull your reserve" for you if you cut away too low! I did the math a while back, and if you cut away below about 800 feet, you will not reach activation speed before you reach disarming altitude. It MAY help you if you cut away high enough, though.

>Some people freeze up and never pull reserve.

Yikes! A cypres will NOT "pull your reserve" for you if you cut away too low! I did the math a while back, and if you cut away below about 800 feet, you will not reach activation speed before you reach disarming altitude. It MAY help you if you cut away high enough, though.

Sounds about right, although your vertical component of velocity could be significant before you chop and that could affect the outcome.

Arthur Jones was the eccentric, self-made millionaire who invented the Nautilus weight-training equipment. He was also an ex-mercenary who always wore a Colt 45 on his hip. A reporter once asked him why he still carried a gun. His answer:

"A handgun in like a tourniquet: You hope you will never need, and you will probably never need it; But when do need it, you need it badly, and you need it now!"
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

My 4 year service requirement has come up for my Cypres and I'm giving thought to just selling the device. The main reasoning is that I don't really feel that a.) I need the device and that b.) It is worth the money to keep it updated for the 2/4 year services.

I'm curious if anyone else has sold their Cypres for similiar reasons. As of now I'm having the Cypres sent in for the service and when it returns I will make my decision to keep or sell it.

You will not save anything.
The value of your cypres depends on the lifetime left on the unit and the lifetime of the battery and the maintenance.
A 4 year old cypres has more value with mainenance than without. The difference is the maintenance cost.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

If you can afford one, I'd keep it.

Cheap insurance for being really stupid.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Cheap insurance for being really stupid

What he said. If you really, really can't afford the maintenance, and have one that you have to sell to eat or skydive, well, maybe. But you've already made the big investment (buying one in the first place).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You messed up. You posted your April Fools post a day early.

I would reconsider your approach to skydiving and safety if you expect to continue jumping. This is a highly dangerous activity we're involved in here. Thanks to the stupidity and mistakes of the jumpers from the 'good old days' we have the knowledge to jump for many years and many thousands of jumps without injury.

The primary reason fo this is that the equipment has prgressed to a point where a safety minded jumper can count on his equipment to perform as intended, leaving the bulk of the respomsibility on the jumper themself, to make good choices, and only put themselves in situaitons where the deck is stacked in their favor.

Removing a Cypres from your rig is stupid. The track record for the Cypres is outstanding. No, it's not perfect, but I would put it's safety/performance/reliability record up against any other consumer product, and expect the Cypres to be far ahead of them all.

Furthermore, any prudent jumper wouldn't have themselves falling faster than activation speed below firing altitude. But it happens, and thats the point. When you need your Cypres, you won't know that you need it. You'll be doing something else, and then, there's your reserve. Look up, figure out what happened, look down and get ready to land, your on final, and then you're on the ground. Your brain is still thinking about your hard pull, or lost handle, but your ass is on the ground in one piece.

Two years and 200 jumps has you convinced that you've seen it all, and could handle it all with no problems?

There are some DZ's, and the number is more likely to go up than down, that require an AAD.

I encourage you to keep it. Mostly because I think the insurance premium is worth it. I don't even know you though, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have you live than go in.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I wanted to say thank you to everyone (well most of you) who posted constructive feedback for me. Also thank you for the PMs from those of you who know me personally.

I've thought it over and decided it just isn't worth it to get rid of the Cypres. Money shouldn't even be a factor on my list of reasons for getting rid of the unit. After looking carefully through other threads on AADs and the posts in this thread, I came to the right decision.

Thanks again; feel free to continue the posts in this thread if you feel it should go on so others can see.

-Darren

.-.

I have not read all of this thread. Consider if you are travelling to another country that requires an AAD for your license. As it would suck going on holidays and not being able to jump your own rig for this reason.