surfbum5412

Do you ever smoke weed before jumping?

Nope. The image of a someone hitting the pond at the same time as their canopy, followed by a detailed reading of the toxicology reports present a very clear picture.

It's really quite simple.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=147

_Am

:S Yeah, that skydiving as well as HP landings are dangerous.

How many times do you think this man smoked and successfully completed this maneuver??

Fact of the matter is weed effects different people in different ways.

That's true, but the fact of the matter is:
-use of illegal substances effects the sport in the same way...negatively.

AND the real question is, would he have been able to complete the maneuver, that last time before he bought the farm, had he been 'clean'?
~I don't know, but the 'general public' sure thinks he would have, and most of our DZ's are located in their world, so like it or not...their opinion counts!

-my sister is in state government, and lives in the next county over from SDC, she told me what was goin' on when those fatalities went down...let's just say it was a real dog & pony show with the Illinois states attorney talking about setting up investigations, raids and sting operations to prove things that were only conjecture... but believed true, because of a couple of negative toxicology fatalities and Roger's past.

How would YOU feel if the DEA showed up at your DZ with sniffer puppies, checking your car and gear???

If one cares anything at all about the sport they should do what's necessary to see that it's not put in a bad light...period.

I don't care what anybody puts into their body, as long as it doesn't effect ME...when some-one's illegal drug use becomes an issue with others, then we have a problem.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nope. The image of a someone hitting the pond at the same time as their canopy, followed by a detailed reading of the toxicology reports present a very clear picture.

It's really quite simple.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=147
------------------------------------------------------------ I agree one hundred percent!!!
I am a pilot as well as a skydiver, if I see you using drugs or drinking, or if I think that you are impaired you will NOT be getting on the plane, wether I am flying it or not!!!!
save it for after your through jumping.
I have alot of time and money invested in my achievements and I don't need some asshole taking it all away because he wants to get high on dope!!!!

_Am

:S Yeah, that skydiving as well as HP landings are dangerous.

How many times do you think this man smoked and successfully completed this maneuver??

Fact of the matter is weed effects different people in different ways.

That's true, but the fact of the matter is:
-use of illegal substances effects the sport in the same way...negatively.

AND the real question is, would he have been able to complete the maneuver, that last time before he bought the farm, had he been 'clean'?
~I don't know, but the 'general public' sure thinks he would have, and most of our DZ's are located in their world, so like it or not...their opinion counts!

-my sister is in state government, and lives in the next county over from SDC, she told me what was goin' on when those fatalities went down...let's just say it was a real dog & pony show with the Illinois states attorney talking about setting up investigations, raids and sting operations to prove things that were only conjecture... but believed true, because of a couple of negative toxicology fatalities and Roger's past.

How would YOU feel if the DEA showed up at your DZ with sniffer puppies, checking your car and gear???

If one cares anything at all about the sport they should do what's necessary to see that it's not put in a bad light...period.

I don't care what anybody puts into their body, as long as it doesn't effect ME...when some-one's illegal drug use becomes an issue with others, then we have a problem.

Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Butters

It doesn't matter because in this sport being unsuccessful even once can lead to serious injury or death.

Yeah for sure!! Not arguing that one bit! My point is that I don't believe that you can point the finger solely at the pot in his system. I mean, has every hook turn gone bad been a result of smoking pot??

Yeah maaaaaybe if he wasn't stoned he could've pulled it off or aborted in time to save himself (we'll never know) but my guess is that a turn too low typically has the same result. Serious injury or death.

Cant' argue this either. :)
If your gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

Your mom goes HandHeld

Often in the plane I think to myself

"Is this real life?"

My morning ritual is, take a bong hit, go pour some cheerios into a large bowl, look in the fridge and hope there's milk. If not, orange juice or Kerr will do just fine. Then, shower and enjoy the near scalding water until I realize I've been in the shower and haven't moved for 20 minutes then get out. Pink feet... nice.

Another bong hit is always nice.

Anyway, sometime after, I go to work at the Private Catholic high school and tap the 18% alcohol communion wine and get ready to work on the computer systems.

On weekends, some of that ritual comes into play but once at the dropzone, I usually get stoned in the parking lot before walking into the hangar. After an AFF jump or 2, it's time to mellow out again and I'll find Robbie John and Sarah for a round from a joint. Sarah rolls perfect joints.

A burrito is good right about now... maybe 2.

Next round, I hope it's a reserve side level 2 so I don't have to let go unless I funnel the exit.

What were we talking about?

In case someone actually believes that, the real answer is no. The entire story is fabricated
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I just wanted to see how common this is. Haha, I don't smoke, but the longer I'm in this sport the more I find out that a lot of people have no problem with lighting up before skydiving.

No, I stopped smokin the stuff a while back, mostly because I feel totally useless for about a day and a half after.
Pot doesn't seem to effect everybody the same was as me though. I know a few people that do it occasionally.

Given the lipophillic nature of THC, it has dramaticly different wash-out time than alcohol. A good dose of THC the night before is NOT going to be all gone in the morning. Whether it will be enough to affect performance is subject to many variables. However, it will almost certianly be enough for the medical examiner's gas chromatograph to find during an autopsy.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

There was a time - and yes it was in the 80s - that I was pretty much stoned on every jump. But then I was pretty much stoned all the time. Fair bit of beer was consumed as well. Thank god for 'Clear Eyes' and 'Listerene'.
Got through my 'experimental' stageB|.......almost.:S

2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

You make a good point, it looks bad on the dz, the sport, and could possibly affect the pilot, and that is reason enough not to do it right there. However, from a purely self risk point of view, I think it is up to you to decide if you want to add extra variables to the equation. Sort of like downsizing to a smaller canopy, things get more challenging.
I have a couple friends that I ride motorcycles with, and we usually are riding at very high speed through mountain roads, pretty dangerous. Several times throughout a day's ride, they will pull over and smoke weed. (I no longer smoke, and when I did I never did while riding) Since this is the regular routine for these guys, they have become very, very good at handling themselves. In fact, I would say that I am more comfortable, and confident in their ability while they are high then when they are sober.
If a jumper is a complete stoner and is high all the time, they are probably going to be more relaxed and comfortable doing what they do, even in the air. Just keep it safe. You know your limits, don't push them while risking other people's lives.
For the record, when I did smoke, I would only do it after a day of jumping. I found to prefer it over drinking considerably, a great way to end a great day. But for me, getting high before jumping would take something away from it. Allowing yourself to be sober and completely receptive makes the skydiving experience that much better. Besides, you get higher that way once you do smoke B|

Did anybody notice that weed was not the only drug in the tox report?

"A toxicology report was positive for cocaine, marijuana and Ecstasy."

Geez, this guy was on another planet if these were used that day, especiall the Ecstasy. Hell, all of it. :P

Weed probably just made this guy feel normal.

Often in the plane I think to myself

"Is this real life?"

My morning ritual is, take a bong hit, go pour some cheerios into a large bowl, look in the fridge and hope there's milk. If not, orange juice or Kerr will do just fine. Then, shower and enjoy the near scalding water until I realize I've been in the shower and haven't moved for 20 minutes then get out. Pink feet... nice.

Another bong hit is always nice.

Anyway, sometime after, I go to work at the Private Catholic high school and tap the 18% alcohol communion wine and get ready to work on the computer systems.

On weekends, some of that ritual comes into play but once at the dropzone, I usually get stoned in the parking lot before walking into the hangar. After an AFF jump or 2, it's time to mellow out again and I'll find Robbie John and Sarah for a round from a joint. Sarah rolls perfect joints.

A burrito is good right about now... maybe 2.

Next round, I hope it's a reserve side level 2 so I don't have to let go unless I funnel the exit.

What were we talking about?

In case someone actually believes that, the real answer is no. The entire story is fabricated

TIMMaaaY!!!

One thing to consider would be those of us that benefit from good ol' proposition 15 here in California. I have a state-issued license to purchase,hold, grow, and smoke at my leisure.

That being said, I don't smoke during the day (when jumping). I feel that's unfair to the tandems I am filming and the others around me. Even if I think/know I can function perfectly, including skydiving, I do it more for the sake of those around me, and the reputation of the dropzone.

Once the last load is on the ground, I will find the time for a 'nature hike.' I have an extremely fuc*ed up back and hips, and after a day with 6,7,8 jumps and hard openings and abuse, I am hurting pretty bad. Some time to 'lax on the couch in the hangar and let my bones/muscles settle is verrrrry nice.

And yes, I've jumped high, and as excited as I was to do it, I found the instant sobriety that came with leaving the aircraft made the effort not really worth it for me. It did make for a much less mundane ride to altitude, though. I prefer to save my greens for the end of the day.

Also, I prefer a stoned group of skydivers to a drunk group. Don't wanna turn this into a SC conversation, but I find the "stoner" skydivers are much more prone to being on the sunrise load than the drunk skydivers, who aren't usually fully functional til 11 or 12 and a meal [:/]

It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Geez, this guy was on another planet if these were used that day, especiall the Ecstasy. Hell, all of it. :P

He and Duane weren't known as the chemical brothers for nothing. I quit smoking back in High school, long before I started jumping. I think the drugs are much more common with the old timers from back in the day.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Hi Rover,

The RW team from Issaquah many, many years ago were not called Clear Eye Express for nothing. :P

JerryBaumchen

~remember Mirror Image? ;)

Oh, wow!:o
I bought Jim Captain's old team Vector, and jumped for several years with "Mirror Image" on my mudflap. I had no idea I was corrupting our youth.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi Rover,

The RW team from Issaquah many, many years ago were not called Clear Eye Express for nothing. :P

JerryBaumchen

~remember Mirror Image? ;)

Oh, wow!:o
I bought Jim Captain's old team Vector, and jumped for several years with "Mirror Image" on my mudflap. I had no idea I was corrupting our youth.[:/]

Well you might of been, and old rig can make ya do some things.... :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

"If one cares anything at all about the sport they should do what's necessary to see that it's not put in a bad light...period. "

That was a quote from airtwardo. I'm not going to argue the fact that jumpers shouldnt get high before a jump. BUT! this quote is unrealistic. the truth is that skydivers are humans. Humans will do dumb things in whatever they are involved in. Then people will do the other thing that humans do. They will generalize and stereotype all skydivers as the same. Quite frankly they wont be totally wrong. There are alot of scuzzbucket skydivers out there. Have you reflected on your own self lately? I can name about a dozen dropzones and big names in the sport right off the top of my head that have done things to "blemish" the sport. You want me to name names? You already named one. Roger Nelson. Do you think that he didnt care anything about the sport?.............

Lot of interesting reading here. Good points. Silly stuff. Useless stuff. Valuable stuff. But what I'd like to see is every poster tell us their own smoking habits/practices. The history and the current state of activity. I only ask because I feel it validates opinion. I'm sure a number of those who fall on the "anti" side probably don't smoke at all or much or have never or have since stopped or never smoked much to begin with. Not everyone on the anti side, just the greater majority. By contrast, I'd wager anyone who is in favor or doesn't mind or see anything wrong is likely a frequent smoker or has been ... you get the point.

Also, I'd like to see the discussion address the OP's question which I think asks about being high while skydiving rather than ask about legality, responsibility and consequences, which are all valid discussions, don't get me wrong. (Unless the broad question is meant to encompass everything. Don't really know.) But I think some of these opinions are addressing, say, the legal or responsible by being anti, but are not addressing the simple question of being high while skydiving. I think that were the answers focused only on that, we would find a few more in the "pro" corner than we've seen here. Just an early morning guess.

Id rather have someone completely baked next to me than someone completely pissed out their head.

I'd rather have neither. I'd rather have people who are heads-up on the same load as me. Do what you want after the beer light goes on, but don't add another way to take out your fellow jumpers into the mix. Aren't there enough already?

Edited to add: in direct response to Kimemerson: i smoked a bit when i was younger, i've "grown out" of it now (family responsibilities yada yada), but I don't have a problem with other people doing it. As long as they are not doing it in circumstances that it could endanger the lives of others.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Read the article again - the line you quoted refers to someone else. Are you smoking something?! :):P
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.