Genego

Rigger Packed Main

You drop off your rig for a semi annual repack. The rigger returns it and tells you that he inspected the main and reserve, and he has repacked the main. Do you jump it or repack the main first? And why? (Really bored this cold 7 degree afternoon.
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

You drop off your rig for a semi annual repack. The rigger returns it and tells you that he inspected the main and reserve, and he has repacked the main. Do you jump it or repack the main first? And why? (Really bored this cold 7 degree afternoon.

I have no problem jumping the main packed by my rigger.

I think that if I would want to Re-do the work of a particular rigger in dealing with my main that I certainly would not trust him to pack the reserve.

Have Rig will travel ...

Hugh? Why on earth would you repack the main? I'd say "Thanks dude, it was really cool that you inspected my main, and I sure appreciate the main pack job as some outstanding customer service."
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I've had many people over the years tell me not to repack their mains, that they would do it themselves.

And in my opinion, inspecting the main is or should be part of a normal repack, it's not outstanding customer service in my mind to do so, it's just the right thing to do.

Some people feel that reserves are "generic" and there are specific instructions for packing them. They also feel that their main is different and that they know the opening characteristics of their main better than their rigger. Which may be true.

And 10000 reserve pack jobs doesn't mean that you can pack a main either :P

I've got one here now same thing. had some container mods done fresh repack of reserve and main. I looked over the mods, checked all the pins, checked the bridle routing. I can't wait to jump it. As said earlier why waste a good pack job? I feel that ANY certified rigger can pack at least as good as I can or better.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

I just don't get the point of the question. Thank the rigger and go jump.

Many jumpers hand their rig happily off to a virtually unknown "packer" who doesn't hold any ratings, and likely hasn't been in the sport very long. These packjobs are often illegal because they aren't supervised by riggers are required by FARs.

Why would someone feel safe with a packer, but worry about the rigger? Riggers have made big investments in their ratings, and have likely been in the sport for years, if not decades...?

Also, you trust them for your reserve, but not your main...? Odd.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Does it have anything to do with "Well, if the main mals, that means my reserve was packed by the same idiot!" line of reasoning? :S:D

I like to tease my rigger friends about that when they have cutaways.

I would definitely jump any main packed by any rigger that I trust to pack my reserve. :)

I wouldn't pop the main and repack it any more than I would pop the reserve and ask a different rigger to do it again.

Silly.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I know a rigger who only has ~100 jumps, and 2 reserve rides under his own pack jobs....

That being said, 2 of my hardest openings were fresh from repacks... but as someone mentioned earlier, it isn't really their fault, that was just not knowing the opening characteristics of the canopy, which would be a legitimate reason to repack the main right when you get it back...
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Does it have anything to do with "Well, if the main mals, that means my reserve was packed by the same idiot!" line of reasoning? :S:D

I like to tease my rigger friends about that when they have cutaways.

Sorry, but I lost my sense of humor on that a long time ago.
My last conversation involved a huge, angry, (retired) army sargent-major using lots of profanity and trying to blame me for his mistakes.
This is the same guy that collided with Roger Ponce under canopy.

I know a rigger who only has ~100 jumps, and 2 reserve rides under his own pack jobs....

My rigger has over 12 reserve rides on his own pack jobs. He packs my main too. :o:P

Shit mine has like 25!! i think most of those were back in the good ole days before he was a rigger. (also before they put very much thought into packing mains!)
BASE 1384