ripcord4

Broken Fibula

On December 29th '09 I broke my right fibula in a non-displaced fracture. I have been in a boot since then. When can I plan on returning to parachuting?

When your doctor says you can run and play contact sports like rugby or football.

Sometimes things heal quickly. Sometimes things don't heal like they should.

well .... since december of '09 is still a few months from happening ... I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet ... maybe it won't really happen ... ;)

seriously tho ... heal well!!

As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

If you changed the year to '06, that would be the day I broke mine, displaced spiral fracture.

6 screws, 1 plate and 17 weeks later, I was jumping again. The ortho wanted me to be able to run down the hallway in his office and hop one footed on the injured leg without any discomfort before he would clear me to jump.

My recovery time table

1 month in hard cast non-weight bearing
1 month in walking boot non-weight bearing
1 month in walking boot weight bearing
1 month in street shoes restricted duty

When you start physiotherapy, do it faithfully.

Don't rush to jumping. A few extra weeks giving the leg time to heal is worth it.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Yes, I crashed a very porous, very aggresively short-lined PC onto a runway. Yeah, I know...DUMB!

5 years ago was the last time I jumped my old Pap.

~ and it was definitely the LAST time...we ain't 20 anymore! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Very true (the we-ain't-twenty-anymore comment).

Funny reminder of it again last night. We got a nice dumping of snow last week. Started a nice sledding chute down the hill by our house; just packed it down a bit with a couple runs with the plan to let it harden and come back. Shoveled up a nice pile halfway down to make things interesting.

Last night we went back to it. The run had hardened up nice; a very fast looking groove with a good sized jump. I of course went first just to make sure it was safe. Got within a couple feet of the rampo/jump and thought "Wow, this really is fast!"

Up in the air, separated from sled, down hard on the hip and elbow. I laugh at myself now, but that really smarted.

i don't bounce up like I used to.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I broke tib/fib and ankle bones October 12th.

First surgery was October 13th. I was in a boot (they never put a hard cast on) and was non weight bearing until second surgery that removed screws that were holding tib and fib together in place.

Second surgery was 2nd week of December. Weight bearing at that point. I jumped the 3rd week (roughly) in January. I kinda did a butt slide in just in case.

I currently have a plate (6 screws in there) and another 2 screws in some part of my ankle)
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

i don't bounce up like I used to.

Funny how over time your 'wealth' of knowledge as far as conservative decision making, is supposed to make up for the ever increasing loss of flexibility and injury resilience...B|

Then the adrenaline factor jumps in and skews the whole thing up. :S;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes, I crashed a very porous, very aggresively short-lined PC onto a runway. Yeah, I know...DUMB!

5 years ago was the last time I jumped my old Pap.

~ and it was definitely the LAST time...we ain't 20 anymore! ;)

Ain't that the truth!

Your OS would be the best one to ask. I'm kinda surprised you haven't asked already. My first check up after I got home (broke it in FL and had to get emergency surgery there) I asked my post care doc how long. I was told 12 weeks if all goes as planned. My physical therapist told me not until I can hop up and down on it repeatedly without pain or discomfort. I broke mine (tib and fib) on 1/1/09 and should be back in April. 1 plate 10 screws (8 in the fib and 2 in the tib). B|

Somebody mentioned sliding in. Thats probably not advisable. I mentioned to my physical therapist sliding in to be safe and he said thats a bad idea. Apparently it doesn't take a whole lot to mess up the alignment of your spine. If your tailbone gets hit wrong your whole spine can be screwed up for life. He even went so far as to say if he were me he'd rather try landing on his feet and break his ankle again than land on his tail bone and throw his spine out of alignment for the rest of his life. If you are afraid of hurting it on landing I would PLF. Just something to think about.

Talk with a sports doctor, not your average orthopod. Most docs are way more conservative than they need to be and consider skydiving so dangerous, they will never "clear you" for it.

I'm still waiting to be medically cleared to jump from a broken left pinkie. Seven years ago!

find someone knowledgeable in sports medicine and get a consult. May improve your pt as well!

Jump more, post less!

I broke my tib and fib on May 10 2008, had surgery May 14, had 6 screws and a plate put in. No removal of hardware as of yet though as soon as I have the money they'll be coming out. Was out of my cast and into a walking boot June 22. I started jumping again August 6th 2008. Listen to your doc, do hyou physical therapy and jump when the doc says you can and when you feel your ready, don't rush into it, the sky isn't going anywhere!

Pick exactly the right conditions for your canopy - non-gusty, non-thermally, nice gentle breeze just perfect for your 370 sq. ft. monster. A nice easy flare and a one-foot stand up landing to follow. If not just right, a PLF (remember them?) to your good side.

Don't push it. Check your horoscope, check your bio-rhythm charts:D, you will know when you're ready.

Have a good one!:)