katzg08

No one wants to jump with a newbie :(

If you are wanting to stay in the midwest-try the KC area-several DZ's are within a couple of hrs. All are friendly. Plenty of nursing jobs. In fact if you are an ED looking for work PM me. There are more great DZ's with good folks than there are less than desirable ones. Keep trying. SDC and Archway are also good choices. My daughter and her friends (college kids) travel to DZ's and do it cheaply. Lot's of options as long as you keep with it.
"You can't teach what you don't know and you can't lead where you won't go"

Fucking A right, Skydive Chicago! Come out to SDC, I'll introduce you to some people who you can jump with. We have a full time (on weekends) r-dub organizer as well as a team who dedicates themselves to jumping with new people. Then on top of that there were almost 40 graduates from last season most of whom seem to be sticking to the r-dub track.

Did I mention 2 otters and just added for this season a caravan. :)

Thanks guys! It looks like Skydive Chicago is closed for the season but I'll certainly check it out when it warms up again.

See you there. You won't have any trouble finding people to jump you with.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Thanks guys! It looks like Skydive Chicago is closed for the season but I'll certainly check it out when it warms up again.

Good choice. It will be quite a bit different than doing solos at a Cessna DZ. Make sure you explain your situation when you show up, and request an instructor/local to show you around the DZ, go over aircraft procedures, landing areas and landing patterns. Start off slow with two ways for your first few jumps.

Otherwise, plan on staying for the whole weekend, and having a blast.

What he (and most of they) said! ...And, if you ever do travel out this way, to the east coast, feel free to stop on in to Skydive Delmarva. As you travel, you will notice and experience many different "vibes" of a DZ. One of the things we pride ourselves on at DMV, and you should notice right away, is the moment you walk on the dropzone, and find your way towards manifest, you WILL be WELCOMED and assisted by one of the best groups of fun jumpers you would ever want to meet. You will not be "lost", left to wander and just figure things out on your own, or lost in the crowd either! We're a "big" dropzone amenities (we have our OWN full-time Twin Otter, AND a C-182) kind of place, yet still with the "small dropzone" openness, welcoming and FAMILY feel!

We would be happy to make your acquaintance, and get you jumped WITH OTHERS at levels and #'s you feel most comfortable with. Travelling visitors are always welcomed with OPEN ARMS! Every on-season weekend there is also something going on too. A good traditional DZ Bonfire and plenty of libations are the minimum order to every apres-jumping day weekend. I've personally picked up travelers and provided absolutely free shuttle to/from BWI airport for those of who fly in, and there are plenty of "us" on this side of the bridge (Chesapeake Bay) that if I am not available, would do the same.

Anyway - that's enough for my home DZ shameless plug. :) Travel around if you can, and experience some variety too as you progress. There's no need to feel "stuck" in a place where you don't feel ever either comfortable and welcome.

Good luck in your jumping progression, and I look forward to someday maybe even jumping with you (any time, anywhere I ever may be)!

Blue Skies,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

If you're for real, let's plan to meet half way at one of the DZ's and I'll buy your jumps for the day, and I will jump with you. I hate to hear of anyone getting kicked around like that. Again I say, IF you are real and this is a REAL problem you've encountered.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I know a little about what you are saying. Being a little on the shy side, i had trouble finding people, or more accurately asking successfully, to jump with. Fortunately for my my DZO watched out for me, partnered me up with people, and still does. It took me time to find a group of peope to jump with. Now I ask if there are any new people I can jump with, though I am not that good yet. It is a lesson I am trying to remember.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Are you sure ? Rook used to put the 182 up as long as there was enough people for a load, and they were willing to do more than one load. Even on weekdays. Although with the current crop of limp-wristed metrosexual skydivers in that area I could see how getting together a full load might be a problem. :|
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Are you sure ? Rook used to put the 182 up as long as there was enough people for a load, and they were willing to do more than one load. Even on weekdays. Although with the current crop of limp-wristed metrosexual skydivers in that area I could see how getting together a full load might be a problem. :|

Rook has mostly been gone with the otters this season.

OK, maybe I am weird, but I like jumping with someone who I can teach something. It feels good and makes me think I do something to propagate this sport.
Where do you jump?
If you are in Wisconsin, once snow is gone, I'll jump with you. I know I would've learned zip if guys with hundreds-to-thousands of jumps didn't step up.
Keep trying! Congrats on A lic!;)

Igor is totally right. It is imperative that people be willing to jump with new skydivers in order for them to learn-- Hell, I wouldn't be half the fast falling, flailing incompetent skydiver that I am today if it weren't for his and others' help! ;)

You just might be a little weird, it probably depends on who you're around at the time. It's a shame you moved but maybe I'll get to jump with you again in Chicago. I still have your old Vector, it's my back up rig now though.

You might be able to persuade Rook into flying the 182, he does have a real house to pay for now :P. It's a nice 182 too, it's a '56 with the tall landing gear so you can actually stand up on the step. Okay, that's not really why Cessna made the tall landing gear, but it sounds like a good story.

"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Is it time to throw in the towel? I love skydiving, but I don't even want to go to the DZ anymore because I hate all the rejection. (Did I note, I'm a super cute blonde, so it's not the looks...lol) I feel like I'm never going to learn anything! Suggestions?

Cute blonde having a hard time finding someone to jump with?! As I'm sure previous replies have stated, go to a different dropzone. It's a shame that there are people out there that think they are skygods, but shit happens and they will regret it one day. Whatever you do, don't throw in the towel!! The more cute blondes we have in our sport, the better! I'm sorry that was your first impression upon joining this sport, but that is not how every dropzone is. I started to realize(after visiting a couple other dropzones) how fortunate I was to start skydiving at my home dropzone(CrossKeys). When I started skydiving, I never really had a problem finding anyone to jump with and I still don't have a problem(only problem I do have now is price of jump tickets). There is always someone (or a group of people) willing to jump with new jumpers there. And again, whatever you do, don't throw in the towel because the people you will meet in this sport WILL BE the coolest and best group of people you will ever meet in your life! I consider the people at my dropzone to be my second family. I saw you mentioned you were fairly close to Chicago, so jump there. I have never jumped there, but have jumped their planes and with other jumpers from there and they seem like a pretty cool crowd! If you ever plan on heading to Crosskeys, I'll jump with you! Hope this helps.

My Version of A Tale of Two Jumpers (with apologies):

Once upon a time two jumpers started at about the same time at a small Cessna DZ. I'll call them Ann and Betty. Both were far from ugly, were fun to hang out with, and got through AFF without much trouble.

Ann decided to try a larger DZ with more opportunities, so she went to Perris Valley in California. Blown away by the facilities, she was at first taken back by the sheer scale of the place. Compared to where she came from the jumpers had a bit of a So Cal jock vibe but after a few drinks at the Bomb Shelter (poured by this wonderful bartendress with an unintelligible Chicago accent) she met some people to jump with. The reserve handles in the fountain reminded her of how seriously this sport must be taken, and she soon developed a love for the discipline and focus of four way relative work.

Ann decided to move to Southern California to pursue her love of jumping. To support her jump habit she took a job in the purchasing department of a large defense contractor. Ann ended up jumping less than she expected, as staff cuts kept her cubicle overrun with an endless amount of paperwork.

Betty decided to try a larger DZ with more opportunities, so she went to The Blue Sky Ranch in New York. Surprised by the Vietnam era style of the facilities and the disheveled look of some jumpers, she was at first taken back by the scene. However, upon entering the hanger she was greeted warmly by manifest, introduced around and when she bought a case of beer from the local Mobile station she was (literally) embraced by everyone.

Betty learned that while safety is taken very seriously, not much else is serious at The Ranch. After logging 200 more jumps she began learning how to free fly, and realized that those same jumpers she thought of as disheveled were actually some of the best free fliers in the world. She loved the freedom of vertical relative work, much like she loved snowboarding instead of skiing.

Betty started expanding her horizons around the fire. Rediscovering the Grateful Dead, she moved on to Ornette Coleman and other things that opened the doors of perception to her. She took a break from jumping to study Terence McKenna and on a trip exploring Mayan shamanism she discovered a plant that cured Alzheimer's.

This allowed her to retire, so she moved to the beautiful Hudson Valley to skydive full time. While Betty never lost her love for skydiving she ended up jumping less than she expected as she realized that life is all about balance.

Notice that both Ann and Betty found many friends to jump with – just don’t give up :-)
www.wci.nyc

A Tale of Two Jumpers

Once upon a time two jumpers started at about the same time at a big Socal DZ. I'll call them Ann and Betty. Both were far from ugly, were fun to hang out with, and got through AFF without much trouble.

Ann got off student status and started looking for people to jump with. She would occasionally get on the "organized" zoo loads, but wasn't too keen on them, since they were, well, zoo loads. She'd show up on Sunday at about 10am and walk around to people asking "so what are you doing? Will you jump with me?" Generally these were the AFF-I's she knew, the 4-way competitors there, the people doing video for teams. And generally they had no time to jump with her.

Betty got off student status and got some coaching. She did a few zoo loads too, and found she didn't like them either.

So she talked to one of the 4-way competitors there who was also a coach and asked how to get on a 4-way team. They set her up with two other people at about her level and did a few player-coach jumps with her. Then they found a fourth for a while and did some beginner 4-way.

This, of course, meant showing up on Saturday morning at 7:30am and making a commitment to the other people on the team. It meant scrambling around to get a video guy on days when most of them were working for the school. It meant working with the competitive team to see when they could do some coaching. It meant blowing a dozen exits before they figured out how to launch anything.

But fast forward six months, and Ann is still asking people to jump with her. Betty is on an intermediate class 4-way team and turning 4 points in time.

It can be done, but often you get out of it what you put into it. And it's not always easy.

I've been thinking about this for a few days as I had a little difficulty with the story. Given that I don't jump anymore, can I ask - don't people just fun jump anymore?

Is all jumping now team orientated? What happened to rocking up to the DZ and slinging together a jump out of the people that were there at the time? :(

...don't people just fun jump anymore?
What happened to rocking up to the DZ and slinging together a jump out of the people that were there at the time?

Nothing happened to fun jumping with any experience level, jumping with newcomers is alive and well here in our corner of the world.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I've been thinking about this for a few days as I had a little difficulty with the story. Given that I don't jump anymore, can I ask - don't people just fun jump anymore?

Is all jumping now team orientated? What happened to rocking up to the DZ and slinging together a jump out of the people that were there at the time? :(

Where I jump we are all mixed up. Teams doing serious training, team members fun jumping, fun jumpers fun jumping, zoo dives, tandems, AFF, wingsuits, CRW, FF, swoops, H&P's, etc. A little of everything and a lot of fun.

We got it all.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley