bocabruce1

Am I too old to jump?

I did my first tandem on my 50th birthday last May.

Sunday I went to the DZ in Lake Wales and signed up for my AFF. She suggested, because of my age, that I come and do my first level and pay for just that ($289)

Then I can evaluate the program and the instructors can evaluate me. Sound like a good plan, but not real sure.

Was a little disappointed that I might not make the cut.?.

Am I too old to begin an extreme sport like skydiving?
bocabruce

I don't think you're too old, but maybe that's just because I'm only a few years younger than you are! :ph34r: There's a "Skydivers over Sixty" organization, so I think you might have a few good years left in you if you're healthy. I hope you pass every level on the first try and show them what you're made of!

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My dad started at the age of 55, he's now 57 and has his A-License. It's was something that he's always wanted to do. Go for it!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

There's a "Skydivers over Sixty" organization, so I think you might have a few good years left in you if you're healthy.

What about JOE? Jumpers Over Eighty?

Admittedly JOE is a much smaller group, but they exist and there is enough of them to want to have a group, so...

You are not too old to jump.

You need to keep in mind that skydiving is what it is. This is not Disneyland, where the rides are designed so everyone can have fun. There are areas in skydiving that you may or may not be compatible with.

Skydiving requires a certain degree of physical fitness and flexibility. If you are unable to get into and out of small airplanes while wearing a 30lb. parachute pack, you will have a problem.

If you cannot maintain an arched body position in freefall, you will have a problem.

If you cannot bend your neck in such a way that you can see the emergency handles mounted to your harness, you will have a problem.

If you are unable to handle the impact of jumping off of a picnic table, you will have a problem.

None of this is to suggest that you personally will have any trouble, but all of the above are part of day to day operations in skydiving. I'm sure you can see why a DZ might be inclined to suggest that you take it slow, and see how it works out.

The good news is this, I know many skydivers older then you and they have no problems. The other good news is that you have to admit it's a good sign that the DZ did not just take the lump sum for the full AFF program and worry about the outcome later.

Maybe the lady is right, maybe you only pay the 289 for the first Cat. A jump. But before you do that, maybe you could slide up to the windtunnel in Orlando for a few flights in the tunnel and learn a good body position & some control. After that then go to the FJC and learn stuff and don't bring up the tunnel time in class.;) Hell I bet you could even find some half starved DZ ghetto rat to give you tunnel traning for the flight time and some McDee's.:D

The funny thing about old farts learning to jump, Ya know, is, they really are test engineers for depends under wear, and in Florida, the drive to the DZ really is the most dangerous part.:D:P

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I'm an AFF instructor and have worked with a lot of first jump students decades older than you are :P Age isn't a factor, your physical shape is. If you're not flexible or not active on a regular basis, you'll have a harder time than someone who's older but is in better physical condition. Of course, skydiving is a great reason to increase strength and flexibility if you need to... yoga, hitting the gym, whatever strikes your fancy.

Age is just a number, remember that. Definitely not a deciding factor. Heck, one of our AFF instructors started skydiving at 53 and got his rating at 55.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Some good information has already been posted. I agree with all of it.

I am in my late 50's and started 4 years ago. I have not had any problems related to my age.

One thing I do leave for the younger guys is swooping and base jumping. I break a lot easier than they do, and take longer to heal. I have tried all the other disciplines except for CRW.

My one cautionary note is that I would not recommend taking up the sport unless you are in fairly decent shape to begin with because you you can count on having your share of rough landings during the first year.

Let us know how it goes.
... Marion

My first jump was a 50th birthday gift to myself. Never looked back. I jump most weekends now.

In some ways empty-nest age forlks are in a better situation for jumping... often more $$ than the 20yr olds, often more free time than the folks raising young families, often a more cautious approach to learning to skydive.

I found that improving my RELAXATION & FLEXIBILITY made a huge difference in my skydiving performance and enjoyment. I also found that getting the RIGHT jumpsuit (for fall rate control) and a full face helmet made me a much happier jumper.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

No one is going to tell you you can't continue training after one jump. At least they shouldn't. But seeing if it's for you isn't a bad idea.

Everyone has talked about physical agility needed. There is some mental agility needed also.

I jumped with or helped train two jumpers who began somewhere older than you are. Both were dedicated to becoming skydivers and wanted to have as much fun as the younger folks. But both were a danger to themselves and others. One was never very stable in freefall, even with a 100 plus jumps. His canopy flying skills were iffy. And when faced with an emergency, most likely of his own making he didn't execute his emergency procedures well and ended up severly injured. He just wasn't getting it and was somewhat nervous as a jumper. (more than normal) He also switched dropzones a couple of times because he was open to constructive feedback.

Another jumper who became a friend of mine started in his late 50's. Everything was fine on the ground, he demonstrated go knowledge and awareness. But in the air he was always 2 steps behind. He had a blank look on his face like he didn't know what was going on. He very often didn't execute the planned dive. Doing so he had a freefall collision out of a helicopter and broke his femur. The other guy was sore and landed under his reserve. He opened under me once again on an unusual jump where he was overwhelmed and forgot the plan.

These guys were intelligent men who had active professional careers. But for some reason skydiving was too much overload for them.

I'm fifty now but have been jumping since I was 21. Whether I'd want to start now, at my weight (mainly do to an old injury), at my level of physical fitness, or my somewhat seemingly slowing mental acuteness I'm not sure.

I've known several other jumpers who began when they were older. They never seemed to get it either. Of course I know other jumpers who began when middle aged and were great.

Maybe it's that younger folks don't know enough not to take up skydiving. And the older ones that should but don't shouldn't be doing it anyway.;)

It is very dependent on you. Check my signature line.;) If your 'normal' or younger for your age and active in some kind of physical sports my guess is your good to go. But not everone is, NO MATTER WHAT THEIR AGE. There are some people that should just take up golf.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I just turned 50 last May 17th. I never played sports in high school or college. My health is ok. I am a 1997 cancer survivor and had 1/3 of my right lung removed. I am in total remission. No cancer!! I have had brushes with death and though I respect the sport of skydiving and know seconds count, I have no fear. I feel capable.

I know I can relax and breath. I have complete awareness in freefall and canopy ride.

I'm going for it!

I wanna SKYDIVE
bocabruce

I did my first tandem on my 50th birthday last May.

Sunday I went to the DZ in Lake Wales and signed up for my AFF. She suggested, because of my age, that I come and do my first level and pay for just that ($289)

Then I can evaluate the program and the instructors can evaluate me. Sound like a good plan, but not real sure.

Was a little disappointed that I might not make the cut.?.

Am I too old to begin an extreme sport like skydiving?

Only 50? ;) I did my first jump, a tandem, at age 57 (Oct 2007). I started AFF in Idaho in winter the next month. It took me until May to get my A license. Things picked up since then. I've got 335 jumps now. B|B|
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I did my first tandem on my 50th birthday last May. Sunday I went to the DZ in Lake Wales and signed up for my AFF. She suggested, because of my age, that I come and do my first level and pay for just that ($289) Then I can evaluate the program and the instructors can evaluate me. Sound like a good plan, but not real sure. Was a little disappointed that I might not make the cut? Am I too old to begin an extreme sport like skydiving?

Everyone's already told you that you're not too old. So I'm going to focus on the 2nd part of your question about payment options, that everyone else has overlooked.

She may just be exercising wisdom to save you money, because many people who start AFF, give it up after a short while. And if you pay for it all up front, but then don't finish the program, you may be out some money. So she's probably just offering a "go slow" approach to allow you to try it out and see if it's really for you, before you jump in with both feet and a fat wallet. I think she's giving you good advice, and she's being straight-forward honest by not trying to take a huge chunk of money from you, knowing that there are some odds that you won't use it all.

Paying for it in an up front lump makes it cheaper overall if you finish the whole program. However, if you drop out, there may be some non-refundable portion. Paying one jump at a time as-you-go is more expensive in the long run, but if you drop out early, you've gotten exactly what you paid for, with no worries about losing money you didn't use.

Paying for it in an up front lump makes it cheaper overall if you finish the whole program. However, if you drop out, there may be some non-refundable portion. Paying one jump at a time as-you-go is more expensive in the long run, but if you drop out early, you've gotten exactly what you paid for, with no worries about losing money you didn't use.

Quite a few of the lump sums, and particularly the one I did, make it more expensive as you're committed to one place. Mine was good for the 7 levels, not 7 jumps. I think the loss of flexibility is too much for people at any age. In any event, one should certainly do AFF-1 by itself first, unless there is a complete refund of any jumps beyond should the person decide not to proceed.

Quite a few of the lump sums, and particularly the one I did, make it more expensive as you're committed to one place. Mine was good for the 7 levels, not 7 jumps. I think the loss of flexibility is too much for people at any age. In any event, one should certainly do AFF-1 by itself first, unless there is a complete refund of any jumps beyond should the person decide not to proceed.

Yes but OTOH I would be a little put off if I definitely wanted to buy the whole package and were told I had to pay jump-by-jump--potentially paying more in the end--because they didn't believe I would stick with it.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

If it bothers you that someone has suggested that you may be too old to jump--just go somewhere else. Florida is full of great DZ's!

Started when I was 51. My learning curve is still slower than your average young guy/gal. I'll never be a swooper, but I'm starting to get somewhat profcient in CREW. Skydiving is a great sport. Don't let some wuffo manifest chick get you down. And, BTW, have you checked out Static Line progression? Much cheaper and slower, not so much overload as AFF.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

Am I too old to jump?

I would say you're too old NOT to jump. If you love it and you have the means then DO IT. ;)B|:)
This might ease your mind a little. At my dz when I was a newly licenced jumper the only ones who would regularly jump with me were the 'old' guys (well older than you I might add) who only ever did belly rw. Now I have a couple hours of tunnel time and can free fly pretty decently, BUT if I'm ever faced with the decision to do a free fly jump with the 'cool guys' vs. doing an rw jump with the 'old guys' Ill do that rw jump every single time. Hope that helps. Im just a young guy who learned all his belly skills from 'old guys'.
Muff #5048

And, BTW, have you checked out Static Line progression? Much cheaper and slower, not so much overload as AFF.

I was going to suggest the same thing. For example, I'm pretty sure Palatka offers static line progression. Consider it.

Skydiving requires mental agility under stress do keep from getting injured or killed. It's impossible to tell over the internet whether or not you possess it. The better your physical shape, the easier skydiving will be. Your tandem pic (nice grin, btwB|) shows that you might be carrying some extra pounds, or "natural arch", as we sometimes call it. Start jogging, drop a few pounds, and it will make any jump easier.

Skydiving can be a lot of work, but can be very rewarding too. Good luck. :)

I did my first tandem on my 50th birthday last May. Sunday I went to the DZ in Lake Wales and signed up for my AFF. She suggested, because of my age, that I come and do my first level and pay for just that ($289) Then I can evaluate the program and the instructors can evaluate me. Sound like a good plan, but not real sure. Was a little disappointed that I might not make the cut? Am I too old to begin an extreme sport like skydiving?

Everyone's already told you that you're not too old. So I'm going to focus on the 2nd part of your question about payment options, that everyone else has overlooked.

She may just be exercising wisdom to save you money, because many people who start AFF, give it up after a short while. And if you pay for it all up front, but then don't finish the program, you may be out some money. So she's probably just offering a "go slow" approach to allow you to try it out and see if it's really for you, before you jump in with both feet and a fat wallet. I think she's giving you good advice, and she's being straight-forward honest by not trying to take a huge chunk of money from you, knowing that there are some odds that you won't use it all.

+1 :)
One Jump Wonder