mdrejhon

Goal of 100 jumps and "B" rating in October - safely realistic or unrealistic?

Hi,

Question about timeline of Training.

For this year, my inspiration to get 100 jumps this year (if budget allows) is because I might want to participate in an event that requires 100 jumps and a "B" rating (CSPA/USPA).

(The event is DWR2005 - "Deaf World Record Attempt 2005", which would be something like a 15-to-20-way attempt)

I am now most of the way through my PFF program and am at 12 jumps.

That event would be a little over 5 months from now.

Assuming I go to my dropzone on average two times a month (after I complete my PFF training), do you think this goal is something realistic for me to aim for -- simply a money issue -- or unrealistic?

If not, I'll aim for the 2007 attempt, but nontheless, it is an inspiration since I believe I would be the first participating deaf Canadian.

How did other beginners get to 100 jumps in one year, without spending 5 figures? Used rig, etc? Joining a team? Going every weekend? Going to Otter boogies and jump their mind out? Etc?

which would be something like a 15-to-20-way attempt

At 100 jumps? I guess it could be done safely if you focus on RW and get a lot of coaching between now and then...

Depending on the dz you jump at and how thick your wallet is (or how much available credit you have), 100 jumps by October is doable. Don't give up on your dream to be on a record jump if you can't get those numbers in time. Those special jumps will come around again (said with feeling as I wish I was going to be on the upcoming womens world record jumps but won't be this time due to lack of fundage... there's always next time though).

On a good weekend... I can easily get 10 jumps in 2 days... and that's without really pushing too hard...

at that rate you should be able to get 20 per month and finish in 5 months...

Like lisa said focus on RW and get coaching... Good luck.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You could hit your first 50 benchmark by the WFFC... then you can get the other 50 in ten days where there are a lot of 20 way organizers to help you.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Focus less on getting the jump number required and more on getting the skills required.

I'm sure if you put the time (and money) in you will the skills and jump numbers required... there is time.

But like I said - don't be affraid to scratch off the dive if you'd be a liability in a 20way. Spending money on coaching will reduce the chance of that happening.

Thanks for the feedback. Lots to think about. Keep it coming.

There's a few-day training camp in October included for the 15-to-20 way attempt (wind tunnel training and training jumps). The number is based on the fact that the last attempt was a 15-way and that is to be exceeded for the deaf record. This will determine whether or not I am able to participate or not. Don't worry, they won't let me on if I don't pass the training camp prior to the attempt.

It will be all out of a single jump plane as well (a 30 person rear-exit jump plane, forgot the name) rather than from multiple planes.

I'll ask around at my dropzone too, as soon as I graduate "solo certification", to find out what my next steps should be. Definitely objectives the "A" and "B" ratings, and RW type stuff.

If I don't feel ready, I'll go for the 2007 attempt but their published guidelines are 100 jump minimum and "B" rating, which looks like is doable in 5 months if I wanted to spend the money...

Keep the opinions coming. I'd like to hear more before my next dropzone visit.

Don't I need coaching for various objectives to accomplish an "A" and "B" ratings? Plus, various RW coaching? I don't think I'd be safe for a 20-way attempt if I don't get any further coaching. Unless I had lots of willing RW 2-way, 4-way, and 8-way invitations this year. It's a Cessna dropzone with about 3 otter boogies a year...

Also, I have 1 more prepaid jump and I have to pay $130 for a repeated PFF level (Mainly because of my unstable pull on my last jump)

something to remember...
88 jumps at $18 a jump would be $1584.

if you don't pack for yourself add on $440.

this is assuming you have your own rig, and never pay for coaching.

I did 46 jumps in a day, your record is reachable if you want to make the sacrifice. Save your money, talk to the dzo and see if you can arrange a deal and go jup your ass off. Try and make every load if not every other.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

4000 jumps in 6 years, wow... (No wonder you did 46 jumps in 1 day.)

Not possible at a Cessna dropzone that only has a few Otter boogies a year, but I know at least one did 10 jumps in 1 day during the Otter weekend. I will be trying to make all the Otter weekends nearby.

It's absolutely possible to get a hundred jumps and a 'b' rating by October, if you've got the funds.

What will be more challenging will be getting some good experience in 15-20 way RW jumps, since your dropzone is very limited in the planes it flies. Make sure to be there for all of their "Otter weekends", and maybe consider making a few trips to larger dropzones as you approach the deadline.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

quote]Not possible at a Cessna dropzone that only has a few Otter boogies a year,

Mark

Never say never.........

If you ask some of the people at the dropzone you are training at i.e. that small cesna dropzone called Gananoque, you would find out that it is indeed possible. Not only that, it's not un-common

When I started jumping (1st sport jump at Gananoque) I did 120 jumps & bought gear in my first 5 months (packing is hard work, but it helped offset costs)

Kara did "well" over 100 jumps in her first few months (again packing, a big commitment, and love for the sport)

Gilles, Trevor, Will, etc etc etc

Where there's a will, there's a way.

There are many of us who happen to get 500 to 600 + jumps a year at this small DZ. And many of us did 17 to 20 jumps on just "one" of those Otter days.

Yes, those are extremes but it is possible.

Again: Maybe ask some of the people you are already jumping / hanging out with. You'd be surprised what they can teach you & and information they can pass on, in person. There are even some national and world record formation holders at Gan. I think they may have an idea of what skills you need and may even be able to help you to attain some of those skills.

Once you are finished the course and on your own (so to speak) you can jump as much as you can afford to & we will be there to jump with you.

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Hey, thanks Fuzzy.

I'll definitely be bringing all of this up at the dropzone next I go this weekend.

[Edit: With just 1 more PFF repeat and 1 graduating jump, (if done successfully) it looks like I could be solo graduated on time for the first Otter boogie two weekends from now. That could give me a good surge of jumps.]

Mark,

If you make sure you have people and/or coaches willing to jump with you to better your RW skills for what's supposed to be a pretty simple one-point formation (I know, it's not always as easy as it seems), you would be reasonably skilled enough to jump on the Deaf World Record. We had two jumpers that were on the 15 way at Perris who had less than 100 jumps each. We put them on the base. I was launching those 5 way bases off the Skyvan (a smaller tailgate airplane than the Casa). The launches weren't very pretty in the first several jumps but for the most part we managed to hold them together. ;)

I would like to see you practice a lot on free flying exits and flying your body into your slot. If you can make it in your slot without going low, or over-shooting, or docking hard enough to warp the shape of the formation or take people out, you should be good to go. Again, that's what the couple of days of training jumps before the record attempts is for, to find out if you have what it takes. We can always put you in the base if necessary, provided that you know how to track and pull on time, and fly your canopy safely in a lot of canopy traffic.

Keep me posted on your progress! B|

Billy
DWR Co-organizer
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I would like to see you practice a lot on free flying exits and flying your body into your slot. If you can make it in your slot without going low, or over-shooting, or docking hard enough to warp the shape of the formation or take people out, you should be good to go. Again, that's what the couple of days of training jumps before the record attempts is for, to find out if you have what it takes. We can always put you in the base if necessary, provided that you know how to track and pull on time, and fly your canopy safely in a lot of canopy traffic.

Good to know some key areas of training I'll need to do.

My first attempt to track did not go well. I messed up and I had an unstable pull as a result. Although I did 3 excellent fast on-heading backflips on my first attempt and a great 360 on my last PFF. I am getting much more relaxed above 5000 feet now. But I am not relaxed enough at pull altitude (4000 feet)... YET! I've pulled pretty well a few times, but I was unstable a couple of times (especially my last PFF jump). That's my priority to fix first. I didn't want to spend too much time restabilizing myself and end up pulling too low.

Once I nail that, graduate solo, I'll definitely look at praticing 2ways and such, to pratice my docking. And go from there...

I was on a 32 way with under 100 jumps, and was a late diver! My experienced friends were quite willing to take a risk.:)
The prerequisite isn't jump numbers, it is skills. So if you can approach a base with control and dock soft, hover in place waiting for your slot, and very important - tracking away fast without so much diving down -flat tracking, watch some good RW video and you'll notice who can track well. You should be able to have awareness of where the others are as you are tracking away fast.

If you can do that on 3-4 ways, then go for it! Just make sure the organizer is aware of your esperience and abilities in the areas I described, that's what they care about and will pick an appropriate slot for you

edit - I guess you already got in with the organizer - already being recruited, how cool is thatB|
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yet another thing to consider is to get some tunnel time. Although this will not increase your jump numbers it will increase your skill level dramatically. Consider that 1 hour of tunnel time is like making 60 RW skydives! You can easily do a total of 1 hour of tunnel time spread over two or three days. Increasing your skill level is what you are really after if you want to be on any sucessfull record attempt. I realize that there are jump number requirements to get on the record attempt jump but if all you got is the jump jumbers and no good RW skills then you will still not get into the formation. You need the jump numbers and the skills.

As far as getting a 100 jumps in the time frame you specified I am sure you can get it as long as you have the will and the cashola.

Lastly remember not to forgo any safety aspects as you are going for you 100 jumps. It is easy to get caught up in trying to reach a goal like this and start skipping on safety aspects of skydiving.

--
Mark N

Being in Northeast a little above the border (Canada, in Eastern Ontario), tunnel time is a luxury I will have to get while I'm travelling elsewhere - it's at least a flight away, unless there's a tunnel near Boston I can use, then it just becomes a 1 day drive.

There is some tunnel training included in the DWR attempt. (Orlando Skyventure, probably)

I may try a detour and make the Appalachian Amusement Center (I'll be in Virginia this summer), but it depends on my time and budget.

Wish there was a wind tunnel nearby!