bocabruce1

Am I still a Skydiver?

I can imagine how different the answers would be if bocabruce was bocabetty with a huge rack. Catching a bit of an elitist vibe here.

You're saying everything we've all said here is just plain wrong? And that we would have said different things if the op were a female? Then I have to suppose you're intimating that to the female we'd be lying. And to that I take umbrage. I don't lie and the woman in question would get the same insight regardless. Frankly I find your comment a tad sexist by itself. If I were to lie to a woman, the size her breasts would not be a factor.

Still? Who said you where one in the first place?:|:D:ph34r: Shit call yourself what ever you want. But be forewarned that if you go telling that to everyone you meet you may say that to a skydiver one day and get called out:P:D

JohnDeere:
Agreed.
A number of years ago I was getting gas and I saw a DZ bumper sticker on the next car. Turned out I knew the woman from around town, from before I'd started jumping. She really didn't know I had been a skydiver a few years by then. So I asked her if she'd done a jump (where I'd been an AFF I at the time) and she said, yeah, I'm a skydiver. I figured I would definitely know if she'd been a skydiver. So I asked if she meant at my DZ. Yep, she said. I asked how many jumps. She said she did the tandem. That's it. One. Never again. I never let on that I was a skydiver too, only with several hundred jumps. I just filled up and bid her good day. Next case!

Bruce:
I was a Boy Scout Too. I am now neither boy nor scout.
I was a married to a woman I divorced. (Ok, she divorced me.) I'm no longer her husband.
I was a cook at a few restaurants. I am no longer a professional cook.
I once lived in Florida, Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Rhodes Island, Connecticut, Massachussetts & Italy. I now live in New York. I am not a Floridian, a Texan, a Virginian, a Carolinian North or South, Rhodes Islander, Connecticut Nutmegger, Massachussettsian (whatever they call themselves) nor an Italian.

See a pattern?

If I don't jump again am I still a skydiver?

No, honestly, if you don't jump again you were a skydiver. If you don't jump again you are a veteran of skydiving.

Ditto

I'm a washed up, has been, x fun jumper and don't have a problem saying it.

It is what it is.:)
One Jump Wonder

Let's see.....I'm a former skydiver.
Why because I frapped in back in 2004 and haven't been able (physically) to do it since then...and I never will again.

Too much physical disabilities to mention plus the risk/reward is not worth it to me.

You broke both ankles jumpin?
Well I broke many other bones jumping and this was the end result...so you can be whatever you want to be

It's your story tell it how you want too:|

Bry

--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

You're saying everything we've all said here is just plain wrong?

No, the answer is correct. The tone I question

And that we would have said different things if the op were a female?

yes-a much more positive reassuring vibe

Then I have to suppose you're intimating that to the female we'd be lying

No-being less terse with the responses

Frankly I find your comment a tad sexist by itself

It's my opinion based on much observation. If you don't think tits are a free pass in a lot of situations in this sport either you haven't been around long or you've got a set.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

If you don't think tits are a free pass in a lot of situations in this sport either you haven't been around long or you've got a set.

And if you've been around awhile and have a set, you know that they are good for three things - (1) a free pass to do things that you may not be ready for but one or more penis owners want you to do, (2) getting extra altitude so you can all start the dive hypoxic and (3) as placeholders for handles (find the boobies and you found the handles. It's easy).

Personally I'd happily give up those "advantages" if I could be treated the same as those with penises are...

[reply
If you don't think tits are a free pass in a lot of situations in this sport either you haven't been around long or you've got a set.

That's an illogical conclusion. a.) I've been in the sport 20 years. b.) I don't have a "set", another sexist label. I also don't recall saying anything about breasts not being a "free pass". I'm simply calling into question your assertion that any tone or answers would be any different were Bruce a female. Some might. Others might not. Gender plays less a role here, I think, than does each individual's general approach to responding to questions. Someone predisposed to insults will generally spread them around regardless while one predisposed to courtesy will do so evenly. Also, women more than men tend - or seem to - take a kinder approach to responses than we men do.nMany men have been brought up to show a different level of courtesy toward women than we allow ourselves with other men. So it may not be so much a matter of giving a free pass to the breasted among us as it might be that we are more likely, more comfortable, showing a degree of disrespect or even ridicule to the fellow men. It is likely you have not been around long enough to note that "tone" in this forum is often - not always - one of irreverence and satire and jocularity and often less than cordial. Much is also lost between thinking and typing as many here are able to think but not express well in the written form.

I sold my rig a few months ago and realistically have no plans to buy another at the moment.. I can tell you how I answer the question "Are you a Skydiver?"

"I used to be"

It is all just labels and semantics. Fuck Labels, Go jump if that is what you want and don't bother if you are not feeling it. The label does not change who you are.

I've read all the replies, and I didn't really see any that quite echo my sentiment, so I'll add my own view here.

It depends on if it really got into your blood yet.

If it is just something you did a few times, and you got injured, so you stopped doing it, well then, it doesn't seem to me that you can claim the name.

But, if you hang at the dz because you love it there, and you do stuff that skydivers do (besides jump), or stuff that keeps you in the community like become a rigger, etc, etc. Well then, maybe you are still a skydiver. Still, if you don't yearn for it some no matter what you are doing to get your fix, then maybe not.

We can't really answer the question accurately with the information that you've supplied.

Answer the question for your self, but be honest.

Massachussettsian (whatever they call themselves)

I've only been in Connecticut a few months, but I believe the term is "masshole". :P

IMO, I've been out of the sport for ~2 yrs, I'll consider myself a skydiver again once I start checking the weather obsessively and friends stop asking what my plans are for the weekend. :)

I've only been in Connecticut a few months, but I believe the term is "masshole". :P

Well I doubt it's what they call themselves. And I wonder if you're from New England or nearby because I'm not sure their neighbors call them that either.
Trivia question for you: Why is Connecticut called the "Nutmeg State"?

Well I doubt it's what they call themselves.

Actually you would be wrong. I'm from Massachusetts and half my family is still there.

We do call ourselves Massholes, and we do so with pride B|
__

My mighty steed

This topic kinda reminds me of those biker gangs that get their biker logos tattooed on them. And when they want out of the gang the other bikers remove said logos. After that are they still a part of the gang?

So bruce.... Any skydiving tattoos?
(insert philosophical quote here)

Let's cut to the chase here. No.

Bingo!!!!

in fact.. to Really be a Skydiver,,,,,, "every once in a while"...
you ought to Pull at 1,500 feet!!!!!!B|;):o:ph34r:

jmy;)

Good. So all the whuffos I'm telling I'm a skydiver even though I'm on "hiatus" aren't being misled.:P

I still have a picture with you and the other old-timers after I made that jump...it's framed in my bedroom.

Well I doubt it's what they call themselves.

Actually you would be wrong. I'm from Massachusetts and half my family is still there.
Thanks for the correction. At least I said I doubted it, wasn't sure.
We do call ourselves Massholes, and we do so with pride B|

Not yet (IMO). I think you have to get past the usual barriers... come back after the 1st jump, get off student status, make more than 100 jumps. This was sort of the guage in the old days and probably still applies.

See this thread: http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Skydiving_History_%26_Trivia_F21/Am_I_still_a_skydiver_P3002799/

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

How about this.

I have 100-200 jumps and THOUSANDS of posts on dropzone.com. I chime in on ANY and EVERY topic. I like the forum drama, i prefer to chat online about skydiving rather than actually do it and when i do jump, i don't care what voice of experience says, i have an "expert" opinion on all things related to skydiving and i like to voice it, not afraid of sounding like a complete and total clown.

What am i? You got it. I am a modern skydiver!

Had hard landing and broke both ankles. When I get back on my feet I am hesitate to jump again.If I don't jump again am I still a skydiver?

read all the other answers. to me, the key part of your post is "When I get back on my feet I am hesitate to jump again". If you don't wanna do it again, if the desire to jump doesn't conquer your fear, the answer is no.

I broke both my ankles too, and was back in the air as soon as the doc OK'd me. I haven't jumped for nearly 2 years now - having a small baby, a full time job, studying a graduate degree part time (as well as an older kid and spouse)... i just don't have time to keep current right now. but i still check the weather every day and i know i will be back there once my degree is done and my baby is older. i consider myself a "skydiver on hiatus".
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.