DarkDesigner

What to do during single jumps

Hello Everyone,

This year I'm going back to empuriabrava and of course I'm planning to make some jumps. I've allready decided to take 6 formation instruction jumps for my A licence. I also want to make some fun jumps, but does someone have some ideas about what to do on that jumps? Maybe some exercices I can do or something?

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

Blue skies!
Peter

turns stopping on a prechosen heading, exiting stable with different exits, practice taking small invisible docks, practicing locating all handles in freefall and be sable, tracking having fun being safe

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

What I've been doing so far:

Turn exactly 180 and track. Then repeat several times.

Practice slow, by the book, deployments... then pretend I have a high speed mal and practice my EPs.

If we're flying only one Otter and there are no tandems on the load, I'll exit last and pull extra high and use the time for practicing canopy skills.

I'm looking forward to hearing more ideas. Good idea for a thread. :)

If you're practicing tracking on your own, please also maintain awareness of where you are relative to jump run. Practice tracking perpendicular to jump run so that you don't risk tracking up or down jump run into another skydiver or group.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

If you're practicing tracking on your own, please also maintain awareness of where you are relative to jump run. Practice tracking perpendicular to jump run so that you don't risk tracking up or down jump run into another skydiver or group.

Good point. Thanks! My instructors stressed that point with me.

Style series. 360 left, 360 right, backloop. Or left right. Or frontloop. Nobody says you have to do them by the book.

Turns. Left 90, right 180, left 270, right 360.

Barrel rolls. Instability recovery.

Floating exits, diving (up and down) exits, back to belly ("gainer") exits (those are fun!).

Tracking, good idea, but as said be sure to track perpendicular to jumprun (actually, this goes for most exercises). If you're not being grabbed by the neck and lifted, you can track harder and flatter.

Work on your boxman and mantis position. Both have uses. Kneeflying (bootieflying). Backslides (not usually a problem) and forward movement (you can always give more legs. video helps though, you'll never believe you can *always* give more legs). Diving and braking. Falling slow and fast.

And that's just belly freefall. Under canopy, there's another whole world, and it's more important than freefall. Talk to a coach, and get exercises.

No need to start freeflying until you can turn decent points in 4-way, do some impromptu CRW afterwards and land accurately whatever circumstances are thrown at you. All of this can be practised on solos, but the reference someone you're jumping with provides is necessary as well sometimes. Ask around, you may find a new friend at the same level. Empuria is plenty busy enough.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Got one question tough, what is a Back to belly ("gainer") exit? As JohanW told me to practice? Or am I now asking one silly question?

Hop out of the plane facing the tail with your back to the relative wind; bring your knees up, look up and back and do a back flip. When you see the planet come around again (or again, or again), arch.

What everyone else said and . . .

Practice the skills on the A license card. Go through the check dive skills and count time in your head. You may not get it perfect on test day, but there is a better chance if you have done it several times.

Tracking and moving distanced are hard to judge when you are alone so think headings and form more than distance covered.

Another idea is take a jump or two and get oriented to the surroundings. Which way is the line of flight? What is on the horizon perpendicular to it. Find the plane after leaving it. Often it flies that line one way or the other then knowing tracking directions will be more natural (and check that heading on the way up every time).

It is also a good time to be aware of the area beyond yourself. When doing RW our focus is on the 5 to 10 feet around us. Memorizing what the ground looks like at various altitudes can help in case haze overtakes you and you get turned arpund. Look to see where others are opening, learn to find them, even as you are sniveling, watch your own chute, and maybe hear the tandems passengers behind you yell with excitement. You might need to know the difference between them and someone warning you they are close.

Most important have fun. Once the RW starts the stress soon follows. It is great fun, but can be a bit nerve racking, not wanting to make mistakes that mess everyone else up.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Or am I now asking one silly question?

Rule #1 (especially when learning stuff) .THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS.

I disagree. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. (which is really just a different way of saying the same thing)

If you don't know, ask. We all walked into this sport not knowing a lot of things (including the vocabulary).

Some of us forget that from time to time. I try not to forget it.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, if you start on your belly, go forward to headdown for a split second, then transition forward into a sit for just a split second then transition forward back to your belly, then you've learned how to free fly (or do a front loop:))
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Open a little higher and work on your canopy skills. Front risers, rear risers, brake turns, and flaring out of quarter brakes.

Do these high enough not to be a hazard to other canopy traffic, and ask manifest if they have a maximum opening altitude.

You can combo freefall skill dives with canopy skill dives and get much more bang for your buck!

Jump more, post less!

Got one question tough, what is a Back to belly ("gainer") exit? As JohanW told me to practice? Or am I now asking one silly question?

Hop out of the plane facing the tail with your back to the relative wind; bring your knees up, look up and back and do a back flip. When you see the planet come around again (or again, or again), arch.

I don't know if that's not what I do, but it actually feels more like not bringing the knees up, instead push your heels and your arms back a little, while arching. More of a layout loop. When coming up to belly to Earth, give leg input early, or you'll flip through vertical and go head high before getting flat again. Or transition to bootiefly immediately and say you meant to do that. :P (Keep in mind you'll be lined up with jumprun, so you need to do a 90° turn somewhere to face perpendicular, as explained above.)

If you stay flat, back to Earth, headdown, slightly backflying, in the relative wind (coming in horizontally right after exit!), you can keep looking at the plane for a couple of seconds before giving input and looping back to belly. That's more difficult to fly though.

A back layout exit is about as close as I get to freestyle, and feels quite sweet when done well. :)
Johan.
I am. I think.