motomike

USPA and July issue.

Can you believe the USPA put up a poll to ask if they made the right decision to put a Brit on the cover versus the US FLAG on the July cover? Do they know this is the anniversary of the birth of our country?

Is this anti American?

Its one thing to do it... then to second guess yourself and poll your community about it?

Where is their since of pride?

E.P. on the USPA

http://www.uspa.org/Parachutist/Read/LetterfromtheEditor/tabid/532/Default.aspx

I think had they said nothing it would have been fine. Unfortunately they opened their mouths and look stupid. Had they not done so I doubt anyone would have thought anything about it...but now we are ;)

That last minute change is BS. I dont care there is a Brit on the cover, in fact its great. This country is made of immigrants. What I care about is they flat out said "Hey, we had a great idea, but it didnt work the way we thought it would so instead of doing a little extra work we decided to half ass it with this one." I mean, how hard would it have been to find another great picture of a flag jump? They happen all over the country almost every day of the week.

That being said, again, i dont have a prob with this months cover, great shot, I just think the way they handled the situation was stupid and lazy from a PR point of view.

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Atleast you caught my point......

I dont have a problem with a Brit on the front...but if they choose a Brit over the American flag...

having a problem with even that is retarded

its a total non issue that they have made an issue out of by polling people on their in house decisions

you guys give way too much thought to weather something is or isnt patriotic or is or isnt american enough

I guess thats why your from Ireland?
;)

nope im from ireland cause i lucky enough to be born there

i live in your country for some of the year cause i choose to

and im a member of the uspa because i skydive here

and its still making a mountain out of a mole hill

One could argue that the British flag is appropriate to remind us as to why we are celebrating our Declaration of Independence and as a pledge to support our troops currently doing the same for others.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I think it would have been fine had the poll not been put in place. Few would have noticed. The Brits were also flying a US flag at that same time, perhaps they didn't get good images of those jumps.

We belong to the UNITED STATES Parachute Assn. IMHO, The magazine (and the calendar) should be limited to stuff about the States or in the States. A boogie in Lichtenstein shouldn't be featured in the magazine because a couple Americans happened to attend.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Whereas, I think it should be limited to only skydiving no matter where.

"There's no crying in baseball"

Why is there so much in skydiving?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

We belong to the UNITED STATES Parachute Assn. IMHO, The magazine (and the calendar) should be limited to stuff about the States or in the States. A boogie in Lichtenstein shouldn't be featured in the magazine because a couple Americans happened to attend.

its not because a couple of americans attended its because a couple of uspa membeers attended

im a member im not american and i think it should be a world wide magazine because the sport needs one

Lots of us UNITED STATES skydivers live or travel overseas and have lots of international skydiving friends. Many of us also attend skydiving events with a significant overseas attendance in the states. Parachutist can be a good source of information about skydiving events in those locales. There are also many USPA members that are not residents or citizens of the US. To me, the limits you suggest seem kind of retarded...

BTW, Lichtenstein rocks!

pms

>A boogie in Lichtenstein shouldn't be featured in the magazine because a
>couple Americans happened to attend.

You're right! How dare they put up cover shots of the 357 and 400 ways! That was in Thailand, not America. I've even seen pictures of the World Meet in there, where the best skydivers in the world compete. Why the heck would anyone in the US care about that? I mean, even if US teams win - it's not in the good ol' USA so it doesn't count.

What's the big deal? Isn't Great Britain just one of the Amercan territories any ways?:ph34r:

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Can you believe the USPA put up a poll to ask if they made the right decision to put a Brit on the cover versus the US FLAG on the July cover? Do they know this is the anniversary of the birth of our country?

As far as I'm concerned there is no question, it was the wrong thing to do. The cover of the magazine is a special page, and should be used to feature the organization who published it. If that is the USPA, that includes (especially on July 4th) the US flag jumps.

There is nothing wrong with including world records, expecially because they were organized by US people and included many Uspa mambers. But an unrelated shot, expecially in the July issue, is dumb. Might not have been so bad if it was over a US dropzone.

I have a couple of times criticized the editors of Canpara for putting shots on the front of american teams jumping american planes over american dropzones, even when they were taken by canadians. I would have no problem with including inside the magazine, but the cover should showcase the association that puts it out -- in this case, USpa.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I can think of plenty of USPA members who've never even been to the USA. SansSuit, you're willing to take their money, but they shouldn't be in your magazine? What about the USPA dropzones they jump at?

Or maybe you shouldn't take their money. I mean, it's the US PA, right? They should get their own thing. Goldurn furriners. Bet they can't even speak American.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I can think of plenty of USPA members who've never even been to the USA. SansSuit, you're willing to take their money, but they shouldn't be in your magazine? What about the USPA dropzones they jump at?

Or maybe you shouldn't take their money. I mean, it's the US PA, right? They should get their own thing. Goldurn furriners. Bet they can't even speak American.

well that was my point assuming he is a member of the uspa and im guessing he is then the cover DOES showcase the uspa

Putting the poll up was suicide IMO. Hands down, the flag should have been on the cover of the July issue. What makes even less sense to me is that they put that same flag shot on the last page of the magazine instead of the cover. I would have much rather seen the current cover picture on the last page. Both are great pictures but the Flag should have been the no brainer for the cover.Poor decision in cover selection and in bringing it to light with the poll the way they did.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Putting the poll up was suicide IMO. Hands down, the flag should have been on the cover of the July issue. What makes even less sense to me is that they put that same flag shot on the last page of the magazine instead of the cover. I would have much rather seen the current cover picture on the last page. Both are great pictures but the Flag should have been the no brainer for the cover.Poor decision in cover selection and in bringing it to light with the poll the way they did.

The whole thing is a tempest in a teapot due to the poll.

Why call attention to a marginal editorial decision? I get the magazine every month, I don't know whether they had 2 photos lined up for the cover or 22. And I don't care.

Frankly, any editor worth his/her salt would have known that the original flag photo wasn't going to fit the cover's form factor. At all. Without a mockup.

So why bother, and then call attention to your flub?

Weird.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19