skydiverkeith

Live/Work/Skydive

CA. NORCAL OR SOCAL doesn't matter

The weather is just as good in Texas, and the cost of living is WAY cheaper.

+1

I used to have a bad image of Texas until i started traveling there for work a lot. I fell in love with the Sugarland area outside Houston but there are lots of other nice areas as well. (Its a BIG state.) Great job opportunities, good economy, cheap land, cheap taxes, cheap fuel, easy to commute, lots of DZs, and great weather. Also, if you live near Houston or Dallas getting to other parts of the country is very efficient and cheap since so many of the airlines not only have hubs there but are based there.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Uh, I was referring to EFS. Never mind; it was before your time.

It just struck me that "EFS" would make a great 3-letter FAA airport code for a drop zone. I checked the database, and it is not already in use. So it's available for some enterprising drop zone owner who is building a new airport. Now, you can't tell the FAA that the name of the airport is "Eat Fuck Skydive", of course, as they'll reject that. So you've got to come up with something that sounds normal, and trust that they don't get the joke with the abbreviation.

Yeh. The first thing to look for is the cost of living. Anywhere in the southern US generally fits that bill. Then you look for weather. It tends to rain a bit in the summer on the gulf coast but there is a ton of good weather and good drop zones along the gulf coast. So basically, Texas and Florida are you best choices as others have mentioned. And being near international airports near Houston, Dallas, Tampa is a major bonus. Major airports also mean there are good job opportunities not related to skydiving available. So pretty much Texas and/or Florida.

Yeh. The first thing to look for is the cost of living. Anywhere in the southern US generally fits that bill. Then you look for weather. It tends to rain a bit in the summer on the gulf coast but there is a ton of good weather and good drop zones along the gulf coast. So basically, Texas and Florida are you best choices as others have mentioned. And being near international airports near Houston, Dallas, Tampa is a major bonus. Major airports also mean there are good job opportunities not related to skydiving available. So pretty much Texas and/or Florida.

if you want to live in the us then the above advice is great if you dont then there are plenty plenty more places to consider

new zealand
spain
france
asia in general

personally new zealand is top of my list right now but there are others right up there too

Socal Skydiving is good, cant complain one bit. Cost of living,traffic, suck & economy is lousy now. You basically need a very good degree job in order to maintain good lifestyle. Lived in Texas in my 20s, found the girls waaay friendlier there ! That is of major importance. Ah the good old days. Was surpized how snooty the general CA girl was back then....although I found a good one eventually.

Not sure there is much fun jumping in New Zealand or Asia unless you are on staff at a dz. Then it's only jumping with other staff sometimes. I thought these were more tandem factory countries. (although I didn't think Asia had much other than exotic boogies...?)

>The weather is just as good in Texas . . .

Not really true. I can think of BJ's 100-way diamond and the 2009 Nationals as examples.

So there's NEVER been a bigway or competition that got weathered out in CA?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>So there's NEVER been a bigway or competition that got weathered out in CA?

Of course there has been. But we don't get hurricanes or summer storms.

To take two big DZ's as representatives, Perris gets 275 sunny days a year. Houston gets 90.

Those numbers seem way off for Texas. I would guess closer to 275 days of sun for the Austin area. (Big white puffys all summer long are still very jumpable days.)

Every time I've gone out to Perris for an event it seems like we have to sit down for winds at least at some point.

Weather varies...