freeflir29

How do you wear your altimeter?

For whatever reason.........I guess just because I usually put it on after my jumpsuit and rig....I used to wear my alti strap on the outside of my jumpsuit sleeve. Worked fine for about 500 jumps. Well........on one of the last jumps before I left the states we launched a flower. While cheating it to a round the person on my left just let his hand slide down my arm. Taking my alti strap with it. Spent the first half of the dive keeping ahold of it and trying to get it inside my jumpsuit. Gave up on that and then rejoined the dive for the second half. Ended up holding my alti in my hand for the rest of the dive and watching for others pitch to gauge my altitude. I have a Time Out as a back up so it wasn't a huge safety issue, unless I had dropped my alti II and it landed on something or someone. So.......from now on I put the alti strap UNDER my jumpsuit sleeve. Just a tip. ;)

And if it gets tangled up in something its harder to release it.

Being an old fart, hand mounts didn't exist when I started. Either wrap an altimaster II around your wrist or like most put it on your chest strap. That's were mine still is.

If your talked to enough folks you've heard the stories of fingers getting broken or torn off by hand mounts getting into risers and lines during deployment. Of course chest mounts can give you a fat lip depending on you rig and the opening.

But I still like mine on my chest. One reason we used to do that was when doing RW you could look at the other guys altimeter.

I have a hand mount and wear it from time to time but almost always forget its there.

Bonehead is now making a commercial version of Pat Works mud flap mount. Search for his site and you'll see instructions to make your own.

Anyway, consider the alternatives to hand mounts. Keeps it out of the way of others.

Of course there are certain applications were a hand mount is most suitable, like tandem.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Audible inside my helmet :)old Altimaster 2 on a home-made chest mount. It's been there for a long time, and it's where I'm used to looking.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I got into the habit of tucking the wriststrap inside my jumpsuit sleeve from day 1 - using club gear and (like everything else :|) the wriststrap was too big - did NOT like the idea of any velcro sticking out. Now i have my own and it fits fine but from habit still goes inside my sleeve.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Left hand

Index/middle fingers through loop

Strap under jumpsuit

Me too, plus a dytter in my left ear and i'll soon be adding a Neptune around my upper left thigh to help with getting my swoop setup dialed in.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

...Pat Works mud flap mount. Search for his site and you'll see instructions to make your own.

To save others the search, here it is.

I looked it up yesterday...definitely seems like a neat idea, but I'd think it would get a lot of vibration in freefall from the wind blast...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have had to it happen twice- once during my AFF- where the wrist part of my alti came unstrapped during freefall and I had to hold onto it with my fingers. Depsite this, I continue to strap it on outside my suit- it only feels right.

I have always found the chest mount to be quite interesting. I guess if you ar eused to it, that would work, but it seems as if it'd be such a pain to see in certain instances.
Blue skies and SAFE landings!
~Amanda~

you've heard the stories of fingers getting broken or torn off by hand mounts getting into risers and lines during deployment.

No....I hadn't heard those stories.[:/]

I wear a hand mount, a Neptune on my left hand, I usually wear gloves and will start putting my wrist strap under my jumpsuit (I don't know why I had never thought about doing that).:S

You can see a chest mount when lining up the exit to see if your losing altitude, you can see the other guys easier when doing small RW, you can see it tracking as you look back underneath you to see where everybody is at, you can see it easier while riding a malfunction with your hands on your handles to see if your at your hard deck yet, you can see it easier undercanopy for canopy control (I still use it after 2500 jumps to tell be when it's time to stop playing), you can see it easier when doing CRW, hmmm must be more.;)

When not to use one? If you have a very high chest strap and would eat it every time, doing photography, tandem masters, maybe freeflying but mine doesn't move much.

I have my Jack the Ripper knife in a custom pouch mounted handle down on the back of my chest mount pillow. This puts the knife against my sternum, which doesn't bend anyway, and in the middle where I can get it with both hands. It also so stabilizes the pillow so it doesn't move as much.

Of course I've been jumping with a chest mount (the same chest mount and lens) for 25 years so I'm kind of biased.:)B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I started wearing a wrist mount and using a pro-dytter at about jump #20 in addition to the chest mount. About jump #30 I stopped using the chest mount because I noticed that during approach I was spending way too much time looking at it. Now I just glance up at my wrist to verify my altitude and it has helped me greatly. Still nice though to have the chest mount if tracking or otherwise engaged in using your left hand.

I looked it up yesterday...definitely seems like a neat idea, but I'd think it would get a lot of vibration in freefall from the wind blast...

I currently have one in my mud flap, and I've never had any vibration of any kind from it. It's neato not having to put an altimeter on.

:P
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

It's definitely an interesting idea... I'm considering getting one and mounting the Neptune on it, and picking up another alti for a handmount.

I've noticed that with only a handmount, I'm having to take my eyes off of traffic to check my height in pattern. Being able to to scan across a mudflap mount as I'm looking for other traffic would be a better solution, I think...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Depends on what I do. Always on the left hand and Index- and middle fingers through the loop. On RW the alti is on the back of my hand, when sitting on the side (at the thumb) and on the inner side of my hand on trackdives.

The velcro is always under my jumpsuit - thight on RW jumps and even tighter when freeflying.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

I wear my Neptune on my left wrist outside the jumpsuit. I have the display over the side of my wrist near my thumb rather than centered on my wrist so I don't have to turn my arm either in freefall or under canopy to see my Neptune. Works well for me :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com