cbrown1311

Skydiving no no's

As a new skydiver, I was just wondering what are the big things you should never do, like for instance deploy on your back? I know this is a question for my instructor and believe me, he will get this question as well but I'm a big fan of getting multiple opinions.

Thanks for any replies
Craig

Don't ever forget that the rules and recommendations were the result of someone (or many someones) getting hurt or killed.

Don't think that you are different or special when someone tells you that you need more experience when you want to do something.

If 5 people give you advice that you don't want to hear (presuming that they are knowledgable enough to give that advice) don't go looking for someone else to tell you what you want to hear.

Don't get complacent. Shit can happen in an instant.

Last - NEVER EVER tell your instructor "But someone on DZ.com said..."
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As a new skydiver, I was just wondering what are the big things you should never do, like for instance deploy on your back? I know this is a question for my instructor and believe me, he will get this question as well but I'm a big fan of getting multiple opinions.

Thanks for any replies
Craig

If you find yourself on your back under your hard deck, PULL ON YOUR BACK!
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

I deployed on my back last week. Opened fine. Never forget your pull priorities, altitude is more important than stability. Granted I was at 12k so I probably should have rolled over first but now I know you can pitch on your back so if I am ever low and need something out quick I know what I'll do.

There are lots of no no's in skydiving, most of them are described in the incidents forum. The biggest one is don't turn into a lesson for others ;)

Never say never. For (almost) all situations where there's a "never" there's probably also a damn good exception.

But here's a couple:

Never lose altitude awareness.
Never stop trying to save your life.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You should never,,, Ever patronize in any way, a DZ that is either owned by, accepts gift certificates, or affiliated in any way with 1 800 Skyride, Adventure Sports/Skydiving, Plutian.com or any other alias of these company names. By doing so, you enable sLyride to further their scam!

There's your skydiving no no, and it's your damn good exception!!;)

Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

... I'm a big fan of getting multiple opinions

These people scare me. They are the ones who usually throw out the opinions until they find one that is what they want to hear.

Here's one...
Don't let your ego try to out-fly your ass.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Never approach a plane from the front or a helicopter from the rear. Behave as if all props and rotors are spinning even if you can see they aren't. Make it a habit.

Never cross a runway without looking -- a LOT.

If you see that old timers are pulling off and sitting out a few loads, find out why. There's probably a good reason like wind or dust devils.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You should never,,, Ever patronize in any way, a DZ that is either owned by, accepts gift certificates, or affiliated in any way with 1 800 Skyride, Adventure Sports/Skydiving, Plutian.com or any other alias of these company names. By doing so, you enable sLyride to further their scam!

That's really hard to do in Southern California, seeing as how all DZs here accept those. Sorry, but I'm not going to drive 300 miles out of my way just because Elsinore and Perris take skyride.

Haha my instructor has 15000 jumps. Needless to say, I listen to what he says.:P

Just listen to Hashemi - he's a heck of a guy and a great instructor.

Soon enough, you'll get the opportunity to talk to other instructors too and learn from them as well.

(I'd rather a student focus on skydiving "do's" instead of "no's" - we practice what we think, so why not mentally practice doing things correctly).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That's really hard to do in Southern California, seeing as how all DZs here accept those. Sorry, but I'm not going to drive 300 miles out of my way just because Elsinore and Perris take skyride.

Start a boycott of the DZ's that take sLyride's tickets! They don't need them, especially DZ's like Perris. They have a really nice website and it comes up everywhere because they've done their SEO homework.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org