feuergnom

Ever see linetwists like that?????

I had this rather interesting version of a linetwist last week - and I have no fucking clue as to how I got into that one. if anybody can make an educated guess why even the risers are all twisted up please share.

and before any smartass comes up with a linecheck when packing: this is a standard procedure I never miss

for the detail-freaks: main (was) a nitro 135 @ 1,3 WL - now its rotting somewhere in the woods. chopped and landed my pd-reserve without further problems
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

That looks a lot like the twists I would get when I would have bad body position (i.e., a turn) while deploying in a wingsuit. Were you still tracking at deployment?
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I had this rather interesting version of a linetwist last week - and I have no fucking clue as to how I got into that one. if anybody can make an educated guess why even the risers are all twisted up please share.

and before any smartass comes up with a linecheck when packing: this is a standard procedure I never miss

for the detail-freaks: main (was) a nitro 135 @ 1,3 WL - now its rotting somewhere in the woods. chopped and landed my pd-reserve without further problems

Not so sure what odd about that photo. Looks like typical line twists to me.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Lots of pix/video here of those same types, after jumping new wingsuits, being lazy in deployment, or not flying through deployment long enough.
I'd make a WAG that it was body position.
FWIW unless low, I would have dealt with it. Here's one from yesterday, jumping a new BAS.

If the lines are turned in or if the slider gets into the twist, you'll sometimes see risers quarter or even half-twist.

A stepthrough maybe? I packed myself one once. Heaps of line twists, kicked out of them, was more than a little bit surprised to see the risers twisted around themselves. A line check will not help if you do the stepthrough when the canopy is already in the bag, as I did.

As I recall, I put the bag down to do something else, when I returned, I must have spun the bag around the lines when I picked it up and finished in a hurry to make the sunset load, etc etc you know the drill. Had <50 jumps at the time, didn't know what the &$!% I was looking at, so chopped. Another one for the "Stupid things I've done" thread (the stepthrough, not the chop).

Did the line twists start before the snivel/inflation?

Did the canopy continue twisting during the snivel/inflation?

I dunno about what everyone else does, but when I pitch my PC, I'm not looking up to see what happens until I know for sure its not going to be a brisk or worse opening. Wouldn't want to fuck up my neck. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There's something odd about that for sure. The right line groups are not seperate above the twists, and the left line groups are twisted around themselves above the twist as well.

At first when I looked at the risers, I was thinking 'step through', but then thought that maybe it was just the line twists turning the risers in. Now that I look closer, the whole thing looks like multiple step throughs, both above and below the twists.

Line twists themselves are easy to explain. Bad body position, stuck rubber bands, not enough slack after the last stow, etc. What I see there is harder to explain. Nothing looks right above or below the twists. If you say you line checked it, then I guess you did, but that thing 'looks' stepped through several times. I'd be more inclined to blame the line twists on whatever it is that's going on with the rest of the canopy than any of the 'ususal suspects'.

Do you have any more pics or frame grabs? How about a whole video, I'd love to see some more of this.

Not so sure what odd about that photo. Looks like typical line twists to me.

I hope you tried to get them out before cutting it away.

Make it's just the angle of the picture or the wide angle lens, but it looks a little more "horizontal" to me than your regular run of the mill line twists, potentially indicating a spin.

If I were to have a spinner with a potential deployment altitude on my lower end of my deployment range (it was a big way), I would have cutaway too.

I had line twists like this the other day, I consulted some of the experienced guys on the jump with me,(who were laughing on the ground cause they watched the whole thing). They said it was most likely body position, which I believe but I will have to seriously focus next jump because I am usually just sitting watching my alti till deployment anyways.

On intial deployment i saw the main open pretty cleanly but immediately started spinning into the line twists until they got so bad my head was pinned to my chest by my risers. I kicked out since I had deployed at around 4k and had a good amount of time to fix it.

Another suggestion by one of the packers (12yrs exp. they said) was to allow plenty of line between the last stow and the risers. This allows the d-bag plenty of line to get out of the burble of air around your body before the chute comes out.

but hey, newb here just relaying what I have been told

Another suggestion by one of the packers (12yrs exp. they said) was to allow plenty of line between the last stow and the risers. This allows the d-bag plenty of line to get out of the burble of air around your body before the chute comes out.

but hey, newb here just relaying what I have been told

Somewhere on here Bill Booth weighed in on the matter of excess lines between stow and riser. I don't have the link to the thread offhand but a quick search should reveal it. Noob here too; just letting you know the info on this is out there.

Edit: actually this is the thread here... http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2125996;search_string=billbooth%20lines;#2125996

You know...I still don't understand why people think deploying in a track will cause linetwists or other issues.

Deploying in a track will cause nothing but a different deployment angle, relative to the earth. Instead of being vertical, you're now deploying, maybe 45 degrees from vertical and transitioning to vertical via gravity. The relative wind is what matters, remember your FJC? Relative wind is not vertical when you exit, why would the angle of your track be any different?

I consistently pitch from a solid track jumping while my Spectre 120, Cobalt 105, or my Katana 97...it opens identical to my belly to earth deployments.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

hi all

thanks for your answers so far. i'll start from the last question

@airathanas: canopy was a nitro 135 with approx. 700 jumps. it has HMA lines in really good condition - and these lines don't shrink.

@wildfan75: Canopy wasn't spinning radically - so I messed around getting out of the twists far to long - with the last 2 twists spinnimg started to get ugly, so i chopped - i guess that also answers terry urbans question

@davelepka:

that thing 'looks' stepped through several times

and that is exactly why I posted the question. if you PM me with an email where I can send larger pics, I will

but maybe I'm just a fuddyduddy and I'm seeing stuff where there isn't anything to see :|
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

You know...I still don't understand why people think deploying in a track will cause linetwists or other issues.

Deploying in a track will cause nothing but a different deployment angle, relative to the earth. Instead of being vertical, you're now deploying, maybe 45 degrees from vertical and transitioning to vertical via gravity. The relative wind is what matters, remember your FJC? Relative wind is not vertical when you exit, why would the angle of your track be any different?

I consistently pitch from a solid track jumping while my Spectre 120, Cobalt 105, or my Katana 97...it opens identical to my belly to earth deployments.

You don't feel horizontal direction with a container designed for vertical direction has no bearing on deployment? Or that the massive burble generated by some wingsuits offers no change in how a canopy deploys?

That looks pretty normal for a lot of line twists. The risers often twist individually as the line groups get twisted together.

If it is in fact stepped through, (which it does resemble) you would notice on the line check which you said you did.

How boxed in is the lower corners of the main container? There aren't many of them in this area so I haven't seen a Quasar in a long time.

Edit: Did you continue to spin under the canopy after it deployed or were you basically still on the same heading and all the twists were there already?

One more Edit: I should have said this earlier. The twist in the lines above the risers are going the same direction. So it's absolutely normal when you have multiple line twists. The right side riser is just twisted farther to give the flip through appearance.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

When do you know for sure?

Trick question ... the Triathlon will always be a 'worse opening'.

Actually, 99% of the time, my Triathlon gives me a great opening. I just don't like surprises. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

There is something very odd about the way the left and right line groups are twisted differently from each other and above the main twist.

I personally do think there is anything wrong or odd with this photo. It looks like standard line twists. Most of the time we don't see a visual representation of line twists so I think that makes it look a little strange. Lines being twisted together above and below the main twist is very common. All the fibres in the lines are being twisted around and around and it is going to continue to a point where they aren't able to do that any more, which is happening from the canopy inflated and spreading them apart. Which is why they separate around the point of going through the holes in the grommets. The amount of twists in the lines, which there is a nice amount of really tight ones judging from the photo, means the distance of the twists above and below are going to be greater.

What this picture tells to me is that the line twists happened early on in the inflation. This is because the slider is still fairly high up the lines and a distance above the line twists. It didn't have enough spreading force to bring it and it probably stopped there from overcoming gravity and air resistance. I would say that these twists were a cause of something around the deployment stage of things.

You can actually do a simulation of this on the ground with the help of a few people spreading a canopy out and twisting it up. Or if you are real lucky you can twist it up and try to inflate in on a windy day. From my experience and knowledge with things like this, it doesn't look out of the ordinary IMHO.