PLF

Balloon Jumps

hehehe....had to get into this one too....Keith and Angelee owe beer!!!!!!

Edit to say:
I wish I could do a balloon jump at Skyfest but they are booked for Saturday and Sunday......and 5:30 is just too early for me on a weekend.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

We have a guy here in Park City Ut that will take you to 4 grand for 35 bucks. His balloon will hold 8 jumpers. He has been doing it for a while, and they usually occur in the wee hours of the morning due to winds. Also the LZ is @ 6000' msl.

Depending on how many are jumping...if its 3 or 4, make sure the guy has his balloon descending when you leave. If he is still going UP, once he loses your weight as ballast, his balloon will rocket upwards, pushing the top down into the balloon. He will lose his heat and envelope pressure, and then rocket to earth non-stop.

A few years ago, this happened ( I believe in Florida) and the 3 jumpers all landed safely, the pilot was killed.

In a nutshell, find a willing pilot. Recommend that he/she talk to a pilot who has dropped jumpers before. If you find a willing pilot I know a few pilots who had dropped jumpers before - pm me for their email addys.

Yeah, I usually pay somewhere around $80 per jumper regardless of the size of the basket. I do balloon jumps every chance I get, and have gone with several different operators. $800 for 4 seems VERY steep....:S

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Resurection of old thread...lol. So what are people paying now for balloon jumps? I contacted a local guy that does balloon rides and he came back with $800 a flight in a balloon that holds four. This sounds waaaay to steep in price to me.

That sounds like the typical price that would be charged for a longer scenic balloon flight, not for a relatively short jump flight. However, a lot of the costs will be the same regardless of the length of the flight - cost to transport the balloon to the takeoff site, fuel to inflate, grounds crew, cost to recover at the landing site, etc. If the balloon operator only expects one load of four jumpers, I can understand not really changing the cost from what he/she would charge for tourists on a longer flight. Perhaps if you can guarantee multiple loads the operator would be willing to lower the per-load cost.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

A few months back we hired a balloon for the entire weekend. We did loads friday evening, Saturday and Sunday - morning and evening. We had a total of about 40 slots. All were taken very quickly. The price per slot was $80.00 and we did right a my friends farm. Took off from his farm and exited the ballon a couple farms over from his.
In speaking with the pilot. The price he charged for jumping versus the tourist ride was completely different. It sounds to me like you got the tourist fun ride price.
I wouldn't expect to pay more than $80.00 for a slot.
Rodriguez Brother #1626
Dudiest Skydiver #1962
DPH #-2

Resurrection of old thread...lol. So what are people paying now for balloon jumps? I contacted a local guy that does balloon rides and he came back with $800 a flight in a balloon that holds four. This sounds waaaay to steep in price to me.

$200 a slot is full retail for a sight seeing flight. I charge $90 a slot at the boogie. My balloon guy knows his stuff,is dependable and travels quite a distance to show up. Over the years he has probably put 95% of the first loads on the airport.

Resurection of old thread...lol. So what are people paying now for balloon jumps? I contacted a local guy that does balloon rides and he came back with $800 a flight in a balloon that holds four. This sounds waaaay to steep in price to me.

Holy F'---!

People set up balloon jumps here nearly every weekend weather permitting. Some of my buddies use a regular guy that charges $60 per person and he goes up to ~8k AGL. I know there are other balloon pilots that actually charge less but only go to 5k or so. This is also for groups of 4.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

here it's something like 100$ (personal friend, and i may be the only jumper on board) to about 150$, and then there's only jumpers.. basket will hold to about 6 people..

the "tourists" in the first example pay WAY more.. around 300$+!

but hey, we pay 40$+ per jumpticket, so my range might be a little off.. :D:D:D

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Over the years he has probably put 95% of the first loads on the airport.

boy then i want to be on one of the 1st loads. this will be my 2nd balloon jump. i want this one to go better than the 1st one. my 1st one i exited the balloon never touched any of my handles and impacted in a soybean field on my face . approx estimated exit attitude 6 feet actual exit altitude more like 11 feet. it hurt and i got muddy but i lived:P
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .