bseriesboosted

Do not rush packing!!!!!

Please don't rush packing to make the next load!

This past weekend i was at the farm at the all you can jump boogie. I had been landing packing as fast as possible and going back up all weekend. On my 11th jump of the weekend i landed and made a 10min call actually probably less. I was careless and fast leaving out many steps in my packjob to make the next load.

I done a hop&pop from 5k and opened around 4000. as soon as i opened up i was turning hard to the right. i had a toggle release a couple loads before that and it done about the same thing. so i just grabbed the toggles and then it got faster looking up i see that my slider is stuck about 3/4 of the way up on the right side pulling the nose of the canopy down and making me dive and spin. I tried to make the slider come down by pulling rears,toggles even fronts i tried everything i could think of and nothing was helping. By this time i'm burning below 2000 at 1800 i perform my ep's and land safely under my reserve.

so please learn from my mistake and don't rush packing to make a load. its better to miss one load than to never see another one...

btw yes it was my first reserve ride and yes i owe alot of beer...
Pruitt

Skydive The Farm

'tis truly better to be on the ground wishing you were up in the sky - than to be up in the sky and wish you were on the ground..............

Glad to hear you are ok, bro. Takes alot of guts to fess up to something like this.....props, dude.

i ran the lines up very fast and failed to untwist them I think this is what caused the knot. I also left out some of the flacking and left the lines very loose while putting the canopy in the d-bag and while stowing the lines. I think a combination of those things is what caused it....
Pruitt

Skydive The Farm

I think as mith most things, don't exceed your skill level. I can safely pack my main paracutes in under 6 minutes, but I know that others need more time. Take your time till confident in your abilities.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

A lot of people (myself included) can rush a packjob with no problem. Your blanket statement is not fitting. You may have had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean other people can't rush packjobs efficiently.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

>Please don't rush packing to make the next load!

>A lot of people (myself included) can rush a packjob with no
>problem. Your blanket statement is not fitting.

I think it's valid. Don't pack faster than you otherwise would just to make a load (or get home or whatever.) It takes me about 6 minutes to pack; I could easily screw up if I tried to do it in 4.

I think it's valid.

You do, i don't. All people have different opinions. It's really no different than saying "don't rush putting your rig on and running to the plane." I don't think it's smart to do that, but other people see no problem with it. Not everyone has to be the same ya know.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I don't think it's a problem to do everything you normally do, just faster than usual. If you are comfortable enough with checking or packing your gear that you can speed it up without missing things, great. As a manifestor in Scotland where the weather changes a lot, I fairly regularly give immediate kitup calls for example. It's better if people get a bit of a sweat and don't potter round putting their kit on if it means the plane can keep moving.

However there's a limit to how much faster than usual you can go without starting to make mistakes or miss things. If you are not properly checking your linegroups are clear for example because it takes too long and you don't have time, that I would class as rushing, and a bad thing whether we're talking about packing, kitting up, briefing the dive etc.

How fast that is is different for each person. Some jumpers can kitup in less than a minute if required and still do everything properly. Others have a ten minute routine and could just about cut that to nine without getting flustered. Needless to say the latter don't get put on the "immediate kitup" lifts.

I think that position puts me with Bill and the original poster.

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

A lot of people (myself included) can rush a packjob with no problem. Your blanket statement is not fitting. You may have had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean other people can't rush packjobs efficiently.

There is a difference between doing something quickly and rushing it, if you can do it in 4 minutes then you can do it in 4 minutes, but to try and do it in 3 would be rushing it.

BOOM Headshot

yup - a buddy with low experiance misrouted his bridle due to rushing a couple of weeks back. He now considers his whole container to be an ecconomic write off as it's not that much more expensive to buy a band new wings than it is to replace his reserve handle, cutaway, freebag and reserve PC... all of which he lost. He figures resale value of what's left of the container almost makes it an even swap.

I can safely pack my main paracutes in under 6 minutes

F.U.! :P

Despite my best efforts and 1000+ pack jobs, I cant break 7 minutes.......I've timed myself repeatedly and the best I can do is 7:15 ish........lol

7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby. Step into my office.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Most times if you just try to go faster you will. But there are some stages that you can miss out that will take off time. The important thing is you have the understanding of the system to know what will cause a big problem.... not properly stowing a toggle / misrouting bridle / not clearing lines etc etc

I can safely pack my main paracutes in under 26 minutes, but I know that others need less time. Take your time till confident in your abilities.

I fixed your quote. :ph34r: (actually made it my quote). The only time I timed myself, I took 27 min - of course I've only packed for myself around a dozen times so far.

It's always a good idea to also pack with in your limits.It's not uncommon for me to do a parachute to make a 9min or 10 min. call.Of course,I been packing squares for a very long time now and professionally for almost 2 years.Glad you did everything right and got rid of it.Oh,by the way,it takes me 15-20 minutes to pack my little 97.I'm my own worst critic when it comes to packing my parachute!

Most times if you just try to go faster you will. But there are some stages that you can miss out that will take off time. The important thing is you have the understanding of the system to know what will cause a big problem.... not properly stowing a toggle / misrouting bridle / not clearing lines etc etc

Do you have an example of what you leave out when you're in a hurry? If so, I'd say that's a wasted move anyway, and you should discard it all the time. I'm often packing both my canopy and my wife's canopy after each jump, and I usually finish both as others are finishing their one pack job. But that's not leaving anything out, it's just economy of motion.

>Do you have an example of what you leave out when you're in a
> hurry? If so, I'd say that's a wasted move anyway . . . .

Yikes! I wouldn't assume that. You could take your canopy, roll up the lines, and stuff it unpacked into a container, and it would still open 75% of the time. But that doesn't mean that stowing lines is a wasted step.

The key to packing fast (IMO) is to learn what the canopy has to look like when it comes out of the bag, then work backwards from that, using the simplest and fastest methods of manipulation to make that happen.