skydiverek

Watch your stuff at the boogies!

This is a reminder to all skydivers that your stuff can be easily stolen at the large events. I have participated in the Vector Festival in Czech Republic last week and a few people got their cameras and audibles stolen... So, do not assume that skydiving is the "spotless" sport... It could have been the skydiver or non-skydiver, but the fact that the thief knew about the pocket hidden inside the full-face helmet makes me belief that it was a skydiver...

If you see the used 'Optima2' with the LED connection port (rare, special order model) for sale - beware! It might be mine... B|

The Invasion at Sebastian, my nice fold up chair got stolen.

Now if it's not on me, its locked inside the truck (which has an alarm that notifies me if something is going on)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thats like the alarm on my house. It only lets me know what time they broke in. [:/]

obviously it won't tell you 15 minutes in advance so you can get there before the burglars do :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I was also at the Vector festival and my Optima is also missing from my helmet. I only realised when I got home and was thinking that it possibly fell out on my Journey home (which would have been surprising considering how well it fits it helmet). I guess that it is now more likely that some dickhead has nicked it. >:( Hopefully Karma will deal with them. It's a shame for this to happen at the Vector festival as it was a fun, well organsied and safe boogie, but I guess this sort of bullshit can happen anywhere. In my head I like to think it's not a skydiver that has done this, but lesson learned by me is to never leave my gear out of my sight . If mental voodoo dols existed, the light fingered one whoever it is would be hurting a lot right now [:|

Gib

Yes,some skydivers are thieving bastards.I had someone steal from my kit just before getting aboard jumpship.The item was of little monetory value,but a gift I treasured. In my case I know who it was, An ex policeman no less !

This is a reminder to all skydivers that your stuff can be easily stolen at the large events. I have participated in the Vector Festival in Czech Republic last week and a few people got their cameras and audibles stolen... So, do not assume that skydiving is the "spotless" sport... It could have been the skydiver or non-skydiver, but the fact that the thief knew about the pocket hidden inside the full-face helmet makes me belief that it was a skydiver...

If you see the used 'Optima2' with the LED connection port (rare, special order model) for sale - beware! It might be mine... B|

thats weird, i thought all optimas had the led port? hmmm, i didnt special order mine and it came with it. i just checked l+b's website and it does say special order. if you still have the packaging post the serial number under stolen items.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Skydiving is a little wierd. We're a small community and tend to all hang around together for several days a month doing something that is pretty exhilarating and these physical factors have a psychological knock-on - they can artifically inflate your feelings of trust or family for others aroud you, whereas in reality skydiving is just a microcosm of the world at large. There will be criminals and scumbags at your DZ, just as there are in your neighbourhood, school or work.

I've had good times and bad times. I've been lucky enough to leave my wallet out on a bar overnight and not have it moved, and I've had stuff nicked from a zipped bag.

Bottom line is, you don't really want to be leaving stuff lying around - particularly not at Boogies where people come and go.

Was at Carolina Fest boogie few weeks ago found a VISO and a cutaway handle and promptly returned it to manifest as they made an announcement and found the rightful owners.

Believing I did a good deed that good Karma would come back to me. Left sunday evening and arrived sunday night. Wake up the next morning at 8 to find my car was broken into [:/] Still waiting for that good Karma to come back! lol

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

We all hope karma will pay us back for good deeds and pay those who wrong us for the bad deeds.

Some people say that moments like; you finding and returning that Viso and handle builds character.

I believe those moments reveal character.

Good for you.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

in reply to "Bottom line is, you don't really want to be leaving stuff lying around - particularly not at Boogies where people come and go. "

Thing is its very difficult to maintain full security at a civilian DZ open to the public.

I've had a container and canopy stolen .
I made the mistake of leaving it in the gear hire room for a few weeks and some nice bastard borrowed them permanently .
They were historical bits of gear I treasured. the canopy , a 5cell rainbow stratostar, was my first canopy. no doubt its hanging up somewhere. Funny the overseas visitors that left rapidly around that time.

Most cases of theft I've noted happens when lots of strangers are at the DZ. Sometimes the theivey guys are working in a group, lookouts and interference. Don't underestimate them .

We caught a thief after months of loosing stuff.
Turned out to be a local kid who roamed in and out depending on when loads went up. He had his own little treasure stash of jewerelly , watches and cameras that he'd nicked from unlocked cars.
Another thief was caught by a video camera setup in the packing area.

When it comes down to it, most thieves are more scared of getting caught than they are of not stealing.
Minimise the opportunities for easy theft and then they have to work for their ill-got gains.
Like with snakes, if you feel the fear there's usually a good reason .

Oh the sweetness of catching a thief in the act.
Hope you get to do it sometime.

yep, these we my two GoPros that got feet.... DZ-staff was (and is) totally embarassed that this thing happened during the vector festival... guess it was some kind of an organised outside-job.
problem is: we simply don't think about this happening, because lots of times we tell some freinds to get some stuff from our bags/places and hardly anybody gets suspicious when somebody gets stuff from bags etc cause it might be somebody elses buddy [:/] apart from the moneything it sucked bigtime cause lots of people got paranoid afterwards...

bad karma to the person who stole from us. may your private parts dry out permanently >:(

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

CCTV

don't get me wrong, but i'd rather get stolen from than having a bunch of cameras watching my each and every step at the dz... theres more than enough of bigbrothercams hanging around in the cities, on motorways, bars, airports, the tube, you name it, you'll find it :S
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

By chance did you call to ask the DZ? I remember on one day they repeatedly announced that an Optima2 had been found and to come to manifest/office. I don’t recall an announcement saying the owner had been found.

By coincidence there was also a separate announcement for some lost cash – so not all bad people.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I'm so fucking pissed right now. It seems that my replacement optima was dumped somewhere in the shared hall of the flats where I live instead of dhl actually delivering it (wankers), and some twat has helped themselves to it leaving the packaging outside the neighbors door.

I hope the god of Karma is sending a herd of elephants to repeatedly trample on the nuts of the those responsible.

>:(>:(>:(

I'm so fucking pissed right now. It seems that my replacement optima was dumped somewhere in the shared hall of the flats where I live instead of dhl actually delivering it (wankers), and some twat has helped themselves to it leaving the packaging outside the neighbors door.

I hope the god of Karma is sending a herd of elephants to repeatedly trample on the nuts of the those responsible.

>:(>:(>:(

That sucks, but you should be able to file a claim on that one. You typically have to go back to the person/company that originally shipped it to you then they'll file the claim with the shipper (DHL). I've had stuff stolen from in front of my apartment (inside the locked building) before and the claim process worked (at least with UPS) and the replacement product was sent once the claim process was worked out. (And UPS then marked our building as "do not leave," at least until the known building thief was finally evicted and all the building locks were changed).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

indeed, but there was only one option of delivery (nothing mentioned about insurance) so think this could be a battle to get back. What pisses me is the fact that whoever nicked it has no idea what the thing is for. At the very least they could have given it to a neighbor and put a slip in my letterbox. just leaving it to be "investigated" is so bloody pointless

indeed, but there was only one option of delivery (nothing mentioned about insurance) so think this could be a battle to get back. What pisses me is the fact that whoever nicked it has no idea what the thing is for. At the very least they could have given it to a neighbor and put a slip in my letterbox. just leaving it to be "investigated" is so bloody pointless

It's worth asking. The items that I had stolen (shoes) weren't insured either, but I was able to get a replacement item sent from the online store that I bought them from.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke