DBCOOPER

tsa and hook knives

Hook knife construction might make a difference. Plastic/composite handle is worthless and even the TSA knows that it will simply break and you'll cut yourself if you try to use it.

There, fixed it for you!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hook knife construction might make a difference. Plastic/composite handle is worthless and even the TSA knows that it will simply break and you'll cut yourself if you try to use it.

There, fixed it for you!

Plastic-handle "Zak" knife (Para-Gear #K11505), I agree with you. On the other hand, newer composite ones (Para-Gear #K13505 or #K18505) do not break very easily at all. I tried freezing one, then pounding it with a hammer -- no problem.

Mark

There, fixed it for you!

hold, not completely useless - you never know if a plane gets hijacked, you might just have the tool that's needed
in the event the Air Marshall needs a pullup cord trimmed

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

newer composite ones (Para-Gear #K13505 or #K18505) do not break very easily at all. I tried freezing one, then pounding it with a hammer -- no problem.

Mark

you're like a mad scientist -
more like an amiable scientist, but you know what I mean

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

in the event the Air Marshall needs a pullup cord trimmed

:D:D

Thanks for the reminder to take V's hook knife off her Infinity before we fly to Elsinore this Thursday. It's been thru the x-ray a dozen times or more, and they haven't taken it yet. :)

I have had my little Infinity-issued hook knife on my rig in all this time (13 years) and never, not even once, have I been questioned about it by airport security. I keep the larger Jack the Ripper knife in a checked bag though.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

On the scan. Nice Benchmade rescue hook knife. All metal. I think the only way you could hurt somebody with it is if you hooked their mouth with it.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I've traveled with my rig as a carry-on at least a dozen times, through both major and minor airports, and never taken my hook knife off. I keep an all-metal Benchmade one on my left mudflap, very much visible when they swab my rig. I've never had it get even a second glance, they're too concerned about my AAD.

Although yesterday, they didn't even bat an eye at my rig going through security, and didn't even need to swab or inspect it. I also just had to do a metal detector. No body scan or pat down
Brian

On the scan. Nice Benchmade rescue hook knife. All metal. I think the only way you could hurt somebody with it is if you hooked their mouth with it.

Which one?http://www.superiorcleaningsolutions.com/servlet/the-Benchmade-Knives-cln-Skydiving-Hook-Knifes-fdsh-Rescue-fdsh-Saftey-Knifes/Categories call me 877-644-0077 and I'll "hook" you up at my dealer price plus credit card fees and shipping. Sucks to lose a Benchmade like that.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

It was a black 7. They gave me the option of going back out and mailing it to myself. The guy was an asshole and was trying to get me to explain how my cypres worked. Told him it was electronic and it worked pretty good. Told him what the Benchmade was for. It was worth it to tell him to keep it if he was that worried about it. Thanks for the offer, I'll probably take you up on it.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

That's a wild visual. You could probably take someone's ear off really fast too.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I lost mine to tsa a year ago. I had carried it through maybe 8-10 times, but this time officer wanted to swab it, and then he asked me "is there anything sharp on/in here?" Or something like that. I am looking right at the end of the knife tucked in its pocket, and I debated on whether to plead ignorance or not, (Did he see something on the XRay, does he know I have one and is testing me, or maybe if I say no he will say OK, here you go, have a nice flight). I decided to fess up, pointed to it, he pulled it out, looked at it with the supervisor and decided the knife could not go on the plane.

I did not have enough time to check the rig, so I just left the knife there.

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

"TSA" is an airline company acronym for "Thousands Standing Around". I note they allow BIC lighters but seize refillable torch types. Annoying a TSA officer is a Federal felony or something. Many rules/criteria are said to be secret/undocumented or whatever, so the surprises can just keep coming.

Carried my rig at least 7 times never even thought to take it off/was never noticed.

I don't think it's actually dangerous - more like a brass knuckle than a blade IMO.

Some hook knives have handles that can be taken apart, thus giving the user a razor that could be attached to any variety of handles. That would make it much like a box cutter, which were used in the 9/11 attacks.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

That's a wild visual. You could probably take someone's ear off really fast too.

Sounds like the last Batman movie...

WHY SOOOOOO SERIOUS....

I usually check one bag, I put my hook knives in my checked bag, never had TSA taken one of my carry on rig, because it isn't on there!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P