JohnRich

This will make you cry...

Finally! A used rig I won't bitch about the asking price on...

Ouch. That one is definitely adding insult to injury. I hope he/she had very good insurance for the house, & everything in it. I recently lost a lot of sentimental pix & vids to a PC virus, & am upset about just that. I can't imagine losing an entire house.

Have you ever watched Bear Grylls man vs wild on Discovery channel ? He always destroys good canopy >:(

I come from country with lower standard, and I know how much skydivers work to pay for their rigs. When we watch Bear cutting canopy - we suffer and feel injustice. So we have to drown our sorrow in alcohol:P

Parachute rig burned in house fire. Not mine. Main destroyed. Reserve free bag melted and fused onto reserve parachute; ruined. Altimeter destroyed. The ProTec helmet was not found - not even so much as a melted blob of plastic.

Are those from the Bastrop fires, John?
Alot of folks lost everything...very sad >:(

Hope there was some insurance involved. I know my renters insurance would cover this.

Absolutely, but I will add this: some homeowners and renters insurance policies require you to specifically "schedule" certain specified categories of valuable items (such as jewelry), or you might not be covered for them. Does such a requirement apply to your parachute under the terms of your particular policy? I urge everyone to inquire about this with their insurance agents.

Are those from the Bastrop fires, John?

No, not from the widespread forest fire. This was just an independent house fire, started in a ceiling fan.

Turn all your unnecessary appliances off when you leave the house: fans, computers, etc. Trust nothing.

Amazingly, most photos were saved. Simply because they were stored in plastic storage boxes near the floor. Most of the heat was up near the ceiling. Top storage shelves were charred ruins. Bottom storage shelves, intact. What wasn't in sealed boxes, was either ruined by water from the firemen, or smoke from the fire. The plastic boxes often kept the water and smoke out, and saved the contents. Get the kind with the snap-top airtight lids.

It was very weird seeing what items survived and what didn't. Things that you would think would burn easy, were almost untouched. And things that you think would be resistant, weren't. Examples: Rolls of toilet paper - just singed on the outside layers. Plastic bottle of rubbing alcohol - untouched. Bag of charcoal briquets - untouched. Guns - metal welded solid from heat, wood stocks completely gone. And often these things were in the same places.

Someone I know was foolish enough to leave a rig unattended in a bag at the airport. It was considered suspect and 'made safe' by the authorities.

Apparently when they later unpacked the main it opened up like one of those strings of paper dolls, with a hole punched through every cell. :(

Bag of charcoal briquets - untouched.

To be fair, have you actually ever *tried* to light those things? Can't be done.

Seriously though, this entire situation is so sad for *** and I'm glad that all of our friends are pulling together for her! I'm glad her pictures made it, since that would be devastating to also lose all the pictures of John.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hi JR

The "damaged" rig has some potential:)
Take it to the rigger and tell him you need it repaired for a big this weekend.:ph34r::P

The metal stuff with the wood burned off the ends>:( JR this is your last warning:D:D:D

Please tell me none of that stuff was stored in a fire resistent "security" vault thats rated to with stand a fire of X temp for 1/2 hr.

FWIW those fire resistend vaults are lined with 5/8" ? Type X ( fire resistant) sheet rock.

I think the bldg code requires that sheetrock in all garages, furnace rooms etc. Just in case anyone is interested in making a safe room. Do your own research. I'd double up on the sheetrock.

K-RIP

One Jump Wonder

Bag of charcoal briquets - untouched.

To be fair, have you actually ever *tried* to light those things? Can't be done.

Seriously though, this entire situation is so sad for *** and I'm glad that all of our friends are pulling together for her! I'm glad her pictures made it, since that would be devastating to also lose all the pictures of John.

Yep, you noticed that I'm keeping the person's name out of this, as I'm not sure they want the attention. They lost all the photos that were in frames on the walls and sitting on display on top of things, and there were a lot of those. That included many precious momentos, like the poster-sized thing signed by all the skydivers, the bed quilt made out of the spouse's old shirts, and items from parents and grandparents. But all the albums and stacks of photos stored in plastic boxes were okay. One little miracle.

Krip: No fireproof safes involved.

This person does have a second rig available, which by coincidence was not in the house at the time. Because of their generous nature, they had loaned it out to a college student skydiver for a while. Thus, it was spared from the fire, and can be used to get them back in the air again. All they need to do is replace a jumpsuit, helmet, altimeter and Dytter.

\Yep, you noticed that I'm keeping the person's name out of this, as I'm not sure they want the attention.

Yup, I'm sure they don't want the attention, even though there are a LOT of skydivers who know and love her and would like the opportunity to help.

Well, I'm going to dig through our gear and see if I can find some spares we can part with.

We haven't been able to be as active in the recovery as Morgan and I really want to be, but we've been busy with a 2-week old (as of right now) and a toddler. Now that things are starting to normalize for us, we need to try to help.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Looks like the mattress might be salvageable.

Seriously though, what a drag - my sympathies go out to the person.

Good advice on unplugging stuff. Had a can opener go up in flames in the middle of the night many years ago. Luckily the dog woke me up and we only lost half the kitchen.

The fireman advised unplugging things not in use, mainly stuff like all the small kitchen appliances. He said they are built like shit and a major cause of fires.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Good advice on unplugging stuff. Had a can opener go up in flames in the middle of the night many years ago.

Yep. I've had an electric water heater catch fire. An electric rechargeable razor got so hot that it almost burned me when I picked it up. And a computer at work started smoking while the user was away at lunch. Shit happens.

Parachute rig burned in house fire. Not mine. Main destroyed. Reserve free bag melted and fused onto reserve parachute; ruined. Altimeter destroyed. The ProTec helmet was not found - not even so much as a melted blob of plastic.

From the altimeter, it must have been a high-altitude fire -- or in Death Valley.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."