skydiver604

What altitude do you pitch

Been reading the Minimum Deployment Thread with a great bit of interest, thought maybe if there's some data to go with the thread it might make discussions easier. :)

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

How about a "as high as safely possible on the jump I am on" option? Not all jumps are equal, without qualifying the type of jump you are doing the poll for it will be hard to get an honest assessment.

Doing AFF I pull as soon as I can-sometimes that's 4500', sometimes it's 2000'. All other deployment altitudes depend on breakoff altitudes.

Perhaps a better statement/question would be "What altitude do you prefer to pitch on an average skydive?"

I pull when it is safe and that depends on the jump.

My team we break at 4k and I track till I have clear airspace.... That is usually 2.5 to 3k.

AFF, when the student dumps, I track till I have clean airspace. That could be 2-5k

Tandems are the only type of jump that I do where in theory I don't have to try and get clean airspace... I normally dump a tandem out at 4.5k depending on the spot it may be higher.

So for me it is "Break", "Track", and I ask myself "Am I clear to deploy?" If so I deploy. If not, I get clear and then deploy. I do not have a "set altitude" except for Tandems and Demos
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I pull when it is safe and that depends on the jump.

Same here. My average is 3000' according to my AltiTrak. There are some where I'm in the saddle as low as 1400, and some saddled out by 3600. AFF and tandem video jumps are typically higher, as are specialty/commercial video jumps.

Perhaps a better statement/question would be "What altitude do you prefer to pitch on an average skydive?"

That is how I interpreted the question. Obviously, "when it's safe" depending on the jump, but that could be a wide range of altitudes. Perhaps I should have said 13,500' to inclde some of the CRW jumps...

On a RW jump I like to break at 4500 and start my deployment at 3500. That includes wave-off and pitch. I pitch higher when I'm in my wingsuit.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

So for me it is "Break", "Track", and I ask myself "Am I clear to deploy?" If so I deploy. If not, I get clear and then deploy. I do not have a "set altitude" except for Tandems and Demos

same philosophy

RW - Break to track at 3500 - 4000, and pull by 2500
FF - Break to track at 4500, and pull by 2500

when doing RW video - I dump when the team breaks (usually 3500 or 4 depending on the team)

Tandem vid - I view much of their deployment and get away and open when I feel clear - (usually 3500 - 4000)

Tandem - I don't haul meat

AFF/bigger ways, etc - When I'm clear, 2K to as much at 4K - Unless the organizer assigns an altitude, then I try to follow the rules as best I can and stay safe

and, there is also such a thing a dumping WAY too high (IMHO) - for licensed skydivers - for normal and uneventful dives

(When canopies opened faster, I was usually comfy anywhere above 2000. When I switched to my Stilettos, I certainly noticed immediately, that I had to add another 500 feet to my old habits.....)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

depends for me as well. On belly and FF jumps i pull at 3000 or 3500 depending on group size. I a wingsuit i pull at 4000 since i am still new at it and am not 100% confident in my body position on deployment i would like to have a little bit more time if something goes wrong

Been reading the Minimum Deployment Thread with a great bit of interest, thought maybe if there's some data to go with the thread it might make discussions easier. :)

3000 on most jumps, 4000 on wing suit jumps, 2000' on hop-and-ops with a big seven cell in a skydiving rig and my own pass, 3000-5000' for swooping hop-and-pops, 1000' for BASE gear from aircraft, 2500' hop-and-pops from Mike Mullin's King Air when Quincy is otherwise shutdown due to a low cloud ceiling....

Interesting results. Hopefully the BOD won't waste too much time on the proposal.

Having been on some 'low' hop-n-pops and on a few jumps that required a little extra time to track, I know that an opening below 2500' is not a big deal and sometimes necessary. I just don't see much value in changing the BSR when most people already appear to have the correct attitude and there will be cases when we need to take it down below 2500'.

I generally pitch at 2,500 AGL (Unless something changes my plans) I'm generally in the saddle at approx 1,750 AGL. Works pretty good, but I have had other skydivers fall past me still in free fall at that altitude. Used to know this cat that pitched @ 1,000 AGL every jump. It was a trip.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I voted 3500 ft which isn't absolutely correct since I usually pull at 1 grand - in meters - but 3300 ft is way closer to 3500 than to 3000 for my comfort feeling ;) If there's lotta traffic to expect (esp. with young hot rods) or sth like that I open at 1100 m.

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

break at 4.5 to 5.5 depending on jump and number of people on it track and start slow wave off at 3.5 in saddle by 2.5-2.4

I shoot mostly tandem video. I put 3500. Fun jumps i go to 3k or lower is a zoo dive. For the most part I like the 3500 range so I have a little time to work things out if there is a problem.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!