theplummeter

Unlogged jumps

Depends on whether I needed to show currency or number of jumps, either to avoid having to re-take the FJC, get a license, get a certification, jump at a DZ with a minimum number of jumps, etc.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

150. I have less than half that in my logbook.

Am just interested.. why do you not bother to log jumps

I have met some people who seem to think it is 'cool' not to log jumps .. and to be able to say .. I dont know how many jumps I have

It takes a few minutes... what is the attraction of not logging them?

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

Note, BTW, that every jumper I've ever known who said they "didn't log" jumps and actually had made as many as they claimed.

So with only 150, it might be worth tracking down.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have met some people who seem to think it is 'cool' not to log jumps .. and to be able to say .. I dont know how many jumps I have

I figured this would lead to head scratching. I work part time for a dropzone as a pilot. As part of my training process I went through the static line first jump course and made a jump so I would have a basic understanding of what it would be like to be under the pilot emergency rig if I ever had to abandon the aircraft. I made several jumps, up to 10 second delays in the first weekend. At the time, I couldn't imagine spending the time and money on training and equipment, so I never bothered to log anything. Anytime one of the other pilots flew and there was an empty seat I was welcome to get in on the jumping. I spent two years making at least a jump or two every weekend (sometimes nine or ten) but not bothering with any paperwork. Then I got divorced. Free of marital restraints, I joined USPA and starting jumping more frequently although I still fly. I took the first jump course again and began logging jumps. Almost seven years after my first jump I sent in for my A license.

My initial thoughts on this were not to even bother, that no amount of "experience" under a Manta at irregular intervals would count for anything, and that the experience is more important than jump numbers anyway. Some of the folks at my dropzone have been hounding me to get those jumps logged and start seeking ratings so that I could help with training classes and maybe do some coach jumps.

I just wanted some outside opinions.

I'm in a similar situation. A bag was taken from the DZ and it contained my logbook. I've since not bothered to obtain a new logbook.

When I have the requisite time in the sport and jumps I will want my D-License at which point I'm going to need a logbook.

I've also run into hassels when going to other dropzones where I'm not known.

I only tell my friends in the sport that "i'm too cool" for this or that. :D I've just been lazy.:)

Unless you are trying to get a rating or jump at an unknown DZ it's not all that important (IMHO). However, the first time you need it and don't have it, it's a serious PITA.

If your asking on DZ.com and everyone is telling you to get one do it now instead of later... i'm still dreading re-creating a logbook.

I work part time for a dropzone as a pilot.

Please don't take this wrong but as a follow pilot....you DO log your flying time?

I understand one is legal but still.....

Personally I take someone that doesn't log there jumps and divide in half by whatever they said they have.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

I work part time for a dropzone as a pilot.

Please don't take this wrong but as a follow pilot....you DO log your flying time?

I understand one is legal but still.....

Personally I take someone that doesn't log there jumps and divide in half by whatever they said they have.

I do log my flying time. I log it for a number of reasons, mostly to show currency in different categories and classes of aircraft as I frequently fly up to six different airframes in a month. It also helps with insurance qualification as I can break down flight experience by airframe. I started logging to prove the experience necessary for certificates and ratings, and have continued to do so as flying has been how I have earned my living for the last fourteen years.

Jumping was entirely different when I first started. I didn't intend (and still don't) to earn a living doing it. I only made my first jump to cross it off the list as something I had done and to offer some perspective as a jump pilot. I couldn't justify the expense of purchasing gear and maintaining a yearly USPA membership for the occasional jump at a part time job. The jumping was icing on the cake, the important thing during those times was bringing a few dollars home to my former spouse.

As part of my training process I went through the static line first jump course and made a jump so I would have a basic understanding of what it would be like to be under the pilot emergency rig if I ever had to abandon the aircraft.

Just curious, were they round or square canopies you were jumping?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Square canopies. Mantas to be more specific. I realize a Manta 288 is nothing like the National 24 flat that I will ride if I bail out, but at least now I have an idea what getting away from the aircraft would be like, and can free fall reasonably well.

Ok, just making sure you were aware squares vs rounds.

Not sure I'd want to land a 24'! :D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Similar to your situation I was one of the very few static line jumpmasters at our Cessna DZ in the 70's. I'd throw three and follow them out making an average of 10-15 jumps per weekend that I never bothered to log. I wish I had. I did log the cool jumps like Herd, Richmond, Freak Brother, Z-hills, Deland Boogies, CRW, firsts, etc.

jon

Go ahead and make an entry in your log book to honestly account for the unlogged jumps, to read something like:
"I am hereby adding X jumps to my jump total to account for unlogged jumps made from Y-date through Z-date. This is to make my total correct, even though some individual jumps are missing."
And then recognize that those missing jumps won't be counted when you try and qualify for licenses and such. But at least that makes your log book record as accurate as you can make it, reflecting your actual jump career.

I've done that kind of thing before when reviewing log books and discover that I skipped two numbers, or something like that. I'll just make a new entry saying "I'm subtracting two jumps from my total here because I screwed up and skipped forward two back at jump #367, and this will make the total correct once again." And then add a note at jump #367 that says "I accidentally skipped forward two jumps here, but make up for that at log entry #455". That way, when someone is reviewing your log books for licensing, they can see that you've done the right thing, all the accounting is in order, and that they haven't actually caught you in an error.

I have the old manifest sheets, and at least two seasons of the jumps are stored on a computer as I used one of the instructors Altitrack for two of the seasons. The instructors who I worked with are still active at the dropzone and each would be happy to sign off the jumps. I'm just wondering if multiple static line jumps, practice rip cord pulls, and short delays are worth anything, especially having been added well after the fact.

I really had no intention of bothering with the backtracking but keep getting told that I'm ripping myself off. No matter how I try to log it, it won't really help with anything but jump numbers and a paltry sum of free fall time. I'm also imagining the look I would get when I hand my logbook to manifest and they see a group of entries dating back to 2004 that more than double my jump number. It would set my bullshit flag off, so I can certainly see how it would look for someone checking on me.

I think I'll just leave it alone. It cost me nothing. My jump number is so low that it really doesn't matter, and ultimately making more than jumps than needed for my licenses and ratings can only help me out experience wise.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I don't log jumps, never had a reason to, not looking to be an instructor or anything just have fun, most of what I did log were jumps with a special meaning to them, mostly personal meanings for some reason. Just never made a habit of logging them mostly out of procrastination.
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

I don't log jumps, never had a reason to, not looking to be an instructor or anything just have fun, most of what I did log were jumps with a special meaning to them, mostly personal meanings for some reason. Just never made a habit of logging them mostly out of procrastination.

Ever plan on going to boogies or getting on bigger way jumps with people who dont know you?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'm just wondering if multiple static line jumps, practice rip cord pulls, and short delays are worth anything, especially having been added well after the fact.

Plain old jump numbers are one component of the requirements for different USPA licenses.

Unless you don't care at all for any privileges that come with additional licenses, you might as well add the jumps in, if the DZ can help you verify at least the overall numbers.

I have 87 log books all signed . Sometimes its an autograph nook. Lew Sanborn eic. I always laugh when at the bon fire and beer stories. One guy claimed to make 600 or 700 jumps last year . The plane never flew 600 or 700 times and the computer said 138

I knew one dishonest jumper who didn't log that one day claimed he was making his 1000th jump. He landed to pie and gold wings. After that, he didn't make a dozen jumps over the winter and next spring. Then I heard him mention to a coworker that he had "a couple of thousand" jumps.:S What a sack . . .

I've got all of mine logged.:)

No one has asked to see my log book since I applied for my "D" awhile back

I used to not take my logbook with me to boogies. Down at Perris they asked to see it before I could jump. I thought my D license would be sufficient. they actually called my home DZ to verify I was current. Lesson learned.

Thats OK, they multiplied by 3 to get the number they gave you:P

But seriously.... You think it is much harder to lie, than just fill out a few extra jumps in your logbook? What proof does anyone really have if I present a logbook with 7k jumps in it?

It is an honor thing.... both ways. And I would always rather be known as the guy that was really good for 100 jumps, than the guy that sucked with 5k. ;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334