jkdrummerboyee

"seller" does not want to refund my money

False. Maybe in the 90's and early 2000s but not anymore.

Hookitt-
Sorry ol boy, but I just had it done to one of my Javelins. $400.00 + sales tax, S&H. I think all said and done $500.00 USD. Sunpath did the work. And they did a great job.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Then I stand corrected if they put on a full harness. Mirage wanted a grand for a harness refit on a friends rig (which meant new harness in this case).

Did you get new hardware and articulated? That's a good deal and I'm glad to hear it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

jkdrummerboyee

she had stated that her husband was 6' and about 200 pounds which is bigger than me so i don't know why she would say her husband wore it if it didn't fit him properly. doesn't it make sense to try on the rig when i get it and return it if it doesn't fit? i don't understand why she just doesn't just take it back. i told her that i would cover all of the shipping fees. i just feel like she was really trying hard to get rid of it and the sizing information wasn't correct. also when one is spending thousands of dollars on gear shouldn't the seller be respectful to the fact that it just doesn't fit. there is someone else that can use this rig, its just not me

bro, in all honesty, in general a seller is not looking out for your best interest. In general, the seller is looking to get rid of gear so they can get money to get new gear. That's the nature of the beast, bro. Go to your local DZ and try to put that rig up for sale.

I hate to be the bearer of more bad news, but the rig you bought is the exact reason you want a riggers opinion before buying anything.

Vector II - in great shape, a VII is worth $500 at best.

PD 170 - this is an F-111 canopy, and if you weigh anything more than 150 lbs, this canopy is too small for you. F-111 cannot be loaded up more than 1.1 or 1.2 to 1 wingloading when brand new. They lose performance as the jumps on them add up, and it would be a very bad idea to load one at anything more then 1 to 1 at this point. So if you weigh 150 lbs, plus 20-ish lbs for gear, there's your 1 to 1, if you weigh more than that, the canopy is too small. Top dollar for a very low-jump PD-170, again about $500.

178 reserve - hard to say about the reserve as I don't know the model. Generally, the older designs you don't want to load more than 1 to 1 at the most, so again, unless you're 150/155 lbs body weight, this reserve is too small for you. Probably worth $500 or less.

Again, sorry for the bad news, but it is what it is.

>the lady who sold it said that her and her husband had both jumped the rig and that he
>was 6' similar build to myself. so that's what i was expecting to receive, but the largest
>size person that is made for is 5'8" maybe 5'9"

It is not unusual at all to have a rig that fits a 6' tall person that is then too small for a 5'9" person. My wife is 6' tall; her rigs are too small for me (I am 5'9")

So at least in that respect you may have gotten exactly what was advertised.

Cigarette smoke? Unless you specify that, you can't expect it to not smell of anything. My first rig came back covered in cat hair from my rigger's many cats.

Damage to D-bag? If they said it was "like new" you might have a case there.

billvon

>bro, your wife is taller than you?

She's 3" taller than me when we're standing; I am 2" taller than her sitting down. Go figure.

sounds like you're built like me Bill, Suffering Ducks disease, short legs long torso (in my case I have 13 thoracic vertebrae). My MLW measurement is 21" and my inside leg is 29"
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you are whats commonly known as being SOL. There is nothing anyone here can do for you except tell you in the future have all gear sent to your rigger before you purchase it. Work with what you have, get the work done on it that needs to be done and walk away with a story you can tell another noob a few years down the road. best of luck bro...

You said that you...

Ask Lots Of Questions. Get Lots Of Answers.

...but you didn't ask around here! Didn't you think you would get some good advice on gear?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

jkdrummerboyee

no, i thought if it didn't fit i could send it back to her. you know? i thought she was a skydiver with a little but of class.

There is another mistake, you THOUGHT.

How do you know she has a little but? And how do you know she doesn't have any class? *confused*:S

:D

well, if anyone still wants to insist that skydiving is a big family....

this thread is more proof that, at best, it's a 'tough love' family

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

well, if anyone still wants to insist that skydiving is a big family....

this thread is more proof that, at best, it's a 'tough love' family

Bill, you suck!!! ;)

Hey, I'm just helping you proove your point. :P
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

For other beginners this may help

Rigging innovations

GENERA PRICE: $1495.00

Jumpshack

Shadow Racer 2K3 $1,425.00
Shadow Racer Classic $1,425.00

Dolphin (looks like a change in ownership taking place?) around $1400

FYI - these prices are for a brand new rig, built to fit you and the canopies you specify. These rigs are short on options and sometimes color choices, but you will get a solid rig built to order for those prices. Add in some used canopies, and you can be in the air for under $3k in a brand new harness/container.

(Truth be told, you don't want new canopies anyway. You rarely see your reserve, and new mains are just a bitch to pack)

BigMark

For other beginners this may help

Rigging innovations

GENERA PRICE: $1495.00

Jumpshack

Shadow Racer 2K3 $1,425.00
Shadow Racer Classic $1,425.00

Dolphin (looks like a change in ownership taking place?) around $1400

The Shadow Racer is a compelling value. I took another look at it last night after you posted this, and it's probably the current front-runner for my first container, which I'll be ordering by the end of next month.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

jkdrummerboyee

she had stated that her husband was 6' and about 200 pounds which is bigger than me so i don't know why she would say her husband wore it if it didn't fit him properly. doesn't it make sense to try on the rig when i get it and return it if it doesn't fit? i don't understand why she just doesn't just take it back. i told her that i would cover all of the shipping fees. i just feel like she was really trying hard to get rid of it and the sizing information wasn't correct. also when one is spending thousands of dollars on gear shouldn't the seller be respectful to the fact that it just doesn't fit. there is someone else that can use this rig, its just not me

Ok, let's see...

Did you do anything to check out the seller? Did you ask around to see if anyone at your DZ knows anyone at her DZ?

Did you do any research on the value of the rig or it's canopies? An old V2, PD F-111 main and obsolete reserve aren't worth much.

Did you ask anyone at your DZ, like maybe a rigger, about the gear? Did you specify to the seller that the deal was contingent upon passing an inspection by a rigger?

Did you give any consideration to doing an escrow deal?

Did you do any research on how to determine if a rig will fit you or not? It's more than just height. And it's really easy to ask the manufacturer if a rig (based on serial number) will fit you (based on your measurements).

Did you do any research AT ALL on buying gear through the classifieds? There's a bazillion threads on it. Most of them suggest getting answers to the questions I am asking.

Or did you just see a rig that you thought might fit in the classifieds, exchange a few e-mails with a complete stranger and then send off a couple thousand dollars?

Why do I have a feeling that the only "Yes" answer is going to be the last question?

Sorry dude, but it sounds like you bought and paid for a rig that isn't a very good deal.
P.T. Barnum was right.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

How did you pay? Use a credit card or Paypal always. Then you are protected as a buyer. Both companies have great protection for buyers.

As a business owner sometimes It is to excessive. I have money held up right now because a package has not made it to Russia yet and the buyer is freaking out so Paypal put my money on hold. Ill get it back as everything is shipped FOB and I have proof I not only shipped it but that it is still in transit and since it is FOB it is his responsibility.

I know long diversion but the point is use all available protection. Using a rigger as escrow is great idea but even better buy from someone that posts here or knows people that post here or from someone you jump with on a regular basis.

I have sold quite a few canopies and everyone has asked to use a rigger as escrow an I politely declined only because I am easily vetted. If they don't want to trust my word and the thousands of people that have and continue to purchase from me that's ok someone else will but if your buying from someone that can't provide that then walk away or use a form of payment that will allow you to get your money back if you do not receive the item or if it is no as described. Which is a valid reason to get your money back. Had that happen to but since I proved the item was new there was no way it could have been different then described. Buyers remorse is not a valid reason.

Final verdict you got what you paid for, desecency says she should take it back but without a return policy she doesn't "have to" if you paid by credit/PayPal you can force her to take it back otherwise don't ever buy something skydiving related without checking the person and or gear with the folks on here as we'll as with your DZO/Insrcutors. You would have avoided all this by posting BEFORE buying it

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.