3mpire

Have you ever done a tandem as the student?

Looking for the "Yes Both" option. My first jump was a tandem and I've been passenger during a TI examination. Quite a different feeling doing one as an experienced jumper. Getting into the airplane without a rig is the strongest "I forgot something somewhere..." feeling I've ever had :)

Tommock

Looking for the "Yes Both" option. My first jump was a tandem and I've been passenger during a TI examination. Quite a different feeling doing one as an experienced jumper. Getting into the airplane without a rig is the strongest "I forgot something somewhere..." feeling I've ever had :)

I was looking for that option too :)

I did two before my first IAD and I do recerts every year with a couple of our tandem masters. They're great fun! I have gone with the instructor who did my first tandem every year since. Love it! It's like celebrating my "anniversary"

Yes, I did a tandem after I got licensed.
Mind you, I started jumping static-line abck in 1977, long before tandem was invented.
By 1984, I had 350 jumps and did my first tandem jump strapped to the chest of Rob Laidlaw. I felt naked without a ripcord or altimeter. Keep in mind that Rob Laidlaw was captain of the world champion 8-way team.
I earned two TI ratings in 1986 and ever since then have done to occassional jump on the front to help certify new TIs.
Since becoming a tandem examiner (2008) I make a few jumps strapped to the front of every TI I train, even the TIs doing refresher jumps. I lost count of how many dozen jumps I have done on the front.

i am a tandem examiner so i done about 40 as passanger. weird sensation with no rig but you get used to it. but still lots of fun most of the time.:)

except when they plough you into the ground on landing after ignoring you instructions to flare and fighting with the toggles. >:(>:(>:(B|

riggerrob

Yes, I did a tandem after I got licensed.
Mind you, I started jumping static-line abck in 1977, long before tandem was invented.
By 1984, I had 350 jumps and did my first tandem jump strapped to the chest of Rob Laidlaw. I felt naked without a ripcord or altimeter. Keep in mind that Rob Laidlaw was captain of the world champion 8-way team.
I earned two TI ratings in 1986 and ever since then have done to occassional jump on the front to help certify new TIs.
Since becoming a tandem examiner (2008) I make a few jumps strapped to the front of every TI I train, even the TIs doing refresher jumps. I lost count of how many dozen jumps I have done on the front.

Got my rating from Bill Morrissey way back at the start too...when I stood straight up he was 6 inches off the ground.

I joked that my AAD had a mustache! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm not sure what you are really asking, but my first (of two) tandem rides were when I had about 2,000 jumps. I was passenger for two friends near the end of the certification process for their tandem instructor license.

It was uncomfortable and scary. I didn't enjoy it, but I was glad to help my friends. I wouldn't do it again.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

skybytch

My first tandem ride was at about 200 jumps. Did a few more for the guys that I got rated with. Hated every one of them!

I passed up an offer for a free one because I didn't think I would like it.

Zero tandems so far.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

grue

No no no hell no and no.

Pussy.

I've done three. First was on vacation at Playa del Carmen. Started jumping a little over two years later. Second was for a buddy that needed to get recurrent after coming back from the gulf. Last one was #5 with an upjumper for a newly trained TI. The dz was busy and they needed him on the wheel.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I did a couple for a friend over the past few months (when she got her rating, and then her handcam TI jump)

I actually really enjoyed them, and unlike a solo skydive where you get 'bored', I found it relaxing to just kick back and enjoy the view.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I did one last summer in memory of a loved friend. When she was in hospital, the number one thing on her bucket list was for me to take her for a tandem jump. Alas, surgery did not go as planned and she passed in 2011. I did a passenger jump for her on the first anniversary of her loss, and enjoyed every moment. Weird with no altimeter or handles, but a great experience! I know she would have loved it too.

I passed up an offer for a free one because I didn't think I would like it.

I've been mostly grounded for the past year (neck issues scaring me). Was offered a tandem ride by a friend, just to get up in the air. I refused. Not that I don't trust him - it's a control thing. I gotta have it or I'm not comfortable.

Yep...only one...years ago at my tandem certification course with a fellow who was also getting certified.

I was his very first passenger...I could reach all the handles as well.

Also the winds were sketchy and I told him I'll be taking over for the landing. He protested and I told him he could learn to land with someone else. Oh ya...we stood it up.

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Yes both and as the instructor :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Did it for my first ever jump (West Tenn Skydiving, Fast Eddie)
Did it for my tandem cert.
Did it once for someone else's cert.

I don't do them anymore as a PAX. Personal choice.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Once for a friend getting his rating. Even though I helped steer at some point, the DZO charged me full price for the tandem ride!

Just kidding, but it was a very uncomfortable feeling on the ride up with no rig.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy