1 1
brenthutch

Tesla Stock

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

You must be thrilled.

We drove our first Tesla (a Roadster) in 2011, right before our first son was born.  It made such an impression on me that I bought about $50K of Tesla stock a few weeks later.

Turned out to be a good decision.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

We drove our first Tesla (a Roadster) in 2011, right before our first son was born.  It made such an impression on me that I bought about $50K of Tesla stock a few weeks later.

Turned out to be a good decision.

Did you hold it for 10 years? $50,000 bought in Nov 2011 and sold in Nov 2021 would have netter over $10 million (before tax), which is much better than the $1.5 million today (have there been stock splits? can't remember)

On 3/27/2024 at 5:52 PM, SkyDekker said:

Did you hold it for 10 years? $50,000 bought in Nov 2011 and sold in Nov 2021 would have netter over $10 million (before tax), which is much better than the $1.5 million today (have there been stock splits? can't remember)

If you haven’t sold yet it might be time to get out.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/tesla-stock-price-crash-bubble-bear-outlook-demand-per-lekander-2024-4

(edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 1:56 PM, brenthutch said:

I tried to warn folks, I hope they heeded my counsel.

spacer.png

Chinese dumping of EVs in the EU and the rest of the world had a large part in that sales fall for Tesla. The EU determined that China has subsided EVs $58 billion since 2018.

Edited by Phil1111

33 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

spacer.png

Chinese dumping of EVs in the EU and the rest of the world had a large part in that sales fall for Tesla. The EU determined that China has subsided EVs $58 billion since 2018.

I will argue that the biggest things damping Tesla sales are:

1. Tesla lying about range.

2. Tesla lying about capabilities of "Autopilot", (and Elmo making annual announcement that FSD will be here in "a few months", for ten years running).

3. Elmo being a gigantic all-around asshole.

There is no way in hell I will ever own a Tesla as long as Elmo has any control over it.

• Like 4

(edited)
1 hour ago, ryoder said:

I will argue that the biggest things damping Tesla sales are:...

Price and infrastructure are the current biggest obstacles to EV sales.New survey highlights a significant disconnect between car shopper preferences and current EV market offerings.  This Edmunds survey is a week old.

But price is not Tesla's driver of sales. BYD the Chinese manufacturer of EVs temporary was number one in EV sales but Tesla just reclaimed it.BYD is currently looking for a new Mexico manufacturing plant. Which means US market access tariff free.

Automotive benchmarking company Caresoft invited  journalist John McElroy to look at a BYD Seagull. The video is here. $11,500 USD retail with six airbags and 250 mile range. The most used quote in the video is “This doesn't come across as cheap,” The two industry experts in the video are not novices in the auto industry. They summarize their experience with the car in the last seconds of the video. "This is the biggest competitive threat to the entire industry"

Edited by Phil1111

This whole subject is highlights such a contradiction in the right wing world view. The case study of Brent (a true believer in trickle down economics and being nice to billionaires because they make all the jobs) and Musk (a billionaire who employs lots of people) is pretty weird. 

Musk: Builds Tesla into the most valuable company in the world with 140,000 US employees, which I'd imagine are skewed heavily towards highly paid tech jobs.

Brent: Tesla is a joke and I can't wait for it to fail!

Musk: Builds SpaceX into a $100Bn company with 15,000 US employees (again many well paid tech jobs) and resurrects the US from a country who could no longer reach the ISS on their own back to the undeniable global leader in space.

Brent: Only a liberal moron would think SpaceX is what success looks like!

Musk: Buys Twitter as a going concern, tanks its income streams, wipes 75% off its value, and fires 80% of its workforce (often illegally), making thousands of people unemployed and publically mocking any of them who dare complain.

Brent: These are the greatest days that the world of Business has ever seen and Elon Musk is a god like genius!

Almost like he's not really judging the merits...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ryoder said:

I will argue that the biggest things damping Tesla sales are:

1. Tesla lying about range.

2. Tesla lying about capabilities of "Autopilot", (and Elmo making annual announcement that FSD will be here in "a few months", for ten years running).

3. Elmo being a gigantic all-around asshole.

There is no way in hell I will ever own a Tesla as long as Elmo has any control over it.

Number 3 is the big one.

I've seen this story popping up more and more.

One aspect is that with Musk becoming such a jerk, fewer and fewer people want to be seen driving a car associated with him (your last sentence is becoming more and more common).

The other is that investors are hesitant to put money into a company so closely associated with the guy who over paid for Twitter, and then proceeded to utterly destroy it.
Is he going to throw another temper tantrum and destroy Tesla? Is he going to fire all the Tesla engineers the way he did at Twitter?

That sort of erratic behavior makes serious investors (like fund managers at major investment houses) very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Number 3 is the big one.

I've seen this story popping up more and more.

One aspect is that with Musk becoming such a jerk, fewer and fewer people want to be seen driving a car associated with him (your last sentence is becoming more and more common).

The other is that investors are hesitant to put money into a company so closely associated with the guy who over paid for Twitter, and then proceeded to utterly destroy it.
Is he going to throw another temper tantrum and destroy Tesla? Is he going to fire all the Tesla engineers the way he did at Twitter?

That sort of erratic behavior makes serious investors (like fund managers at major investment houses) very uncomfortable.

Sure, but we were forewarned of this exact possibility when Brent pointed out that farts may or may not stink. If you didn't short Tesla on that very day then I'm glad I'm not in your shorts.

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Don't get to PA's.

Wendy P.

Yeah. Don't say liar. It sounds mean. Just say "purveyor of alternative facts". 

8 hours ago, jakee said:

So, a liar who doesn't really stand for anything. Yeah, that's what I said.

So, a purveyor of alternative facts who doesn't really stand for anything. Yeah, that's what I said.

See how easy it is to clean up?

“Last week, Tesla reported a significant decline in car sales over the first three months of 2024. The company delivered 387,000 cars over that period, marking a 20% decline from the previous quarter and an 8% decline year-over-year, an earnings report showed. The results fell well short of Wall Street expectations.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/tesla-stock-plummeted-year-company-recover/story?id=109032113

I believe I still have one year left on my Tesla bankruptcy prediction 

(edited)

155.90 USD-92.52 (-37.25%)year to date

It was 180 just a few days ago 

In other news…

“On Monday, Tesla sent an email to employees saying it was laying off around 10 percent of its workforce, or roughly 14,000 people. On Tuesday, affected employees found out they no longer had a job”

Edited by brenthutch

News Flash to no one except for Brent - Tesla has been a very volatile stock ever since they started making waves in the auto industry:

image.png.64bf62221c58e076d83566843e360ade.png

I guess I could rewrite your narrative as, "Tesla stock now up 9,705 percent!"

Shall we compare that to say Ford over the same time period? (Sorry for the two different graphs from different websites, but I don't feel like spending the time searching the web for the exact pretty graph to post in a nonsense forum topic.)

image.png.6db15cc8dc9525c94eb427ea2fc8ea6f.png

46 minutes ago, CygnusX-1 said:

News Flash to no one except for Brent - Tesla has been a very volatile stock ever since they started making waves in the auto industry:

image.png.64bf62221c58e076d83566843e360ade.png

I guess I could rewrite your narrative as, "Tesla stock now up 9,705 percent!"

Shall we compare that to say Ford over the same time period?

Ford is also losing money on EVs. Let’s compare to an automobile company that didn’t buy into the EV craze….say…Toyota

Toyota Motor Corp
233.81 USD+96.06 (69.74%)past yea

18 minutes ago, normiss said:

Toyota Motor Corp will introduce 10 new battery-powered models and target sales of 1.5 million EVs a year by 2026, aiming for steep growth in a market where it has long been lapped by rivals.

So it is targeting "only" replacing 60% of their sales with EVs.