1 1
billvon

Taylor Swift -and- consipracy conflation

37 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

She also beat him on intelligence, knowledge of governance, politeness, wit . . .

Not really a fair comparison.  As others have pointed out, Trump has no wit.  He has never told a joke other than a mean put-down of someone else.  He never laughs, other than at other's misfortune.  He never finds things amusing, unless they benefit him personally.

17 minutes ago, billvon said:

Not really a fair comparison.  As others have pointed out, Trump has no wit.  He has never told a joke other than a mean put-down of someone else.  He never laughs, other than at other's misfortune.  He never finds things amusing, unless they benefit him personally.

Don't tell me Ballast Point upped the price of Victory at Sea, too.

On 1/31/2024 at 1:38 PM, billvon said:

In a previous post I listed a few characteristics of conspiracy theorists.  I've also noted that the conspiracy theories themselves tend have similar characteristics.  One thing I've noticed with the Taylor Swift conspiracy theory, for example, is opponent conflation - the addition of other enemies to a conspiracy theory to attempt to draw a wider audience.

MTG did this recently with her secret Jewish laser conspiracy theory.  By sucking in a secret Jewish cabal (i.e. "the Rothschilds") she made her theory more appealing to white supremacists like Patriot Front, and thus she expanded the appeal of the conspiracy theory.

We are seeing this happening now in the Taylor Swift conspiracy theory.  Yesterday a FOX News anchor spouted the following: "Well, around four years ago the Pentagon’s psychological operations unit floated turning Taylor Swift into an asset, during a NATO meeting."  By dragging NATO into the conspiracy theory (an organization that is, bizarrely, hated by Trump supporters) FOX News makes it more appealing to its isolationist viewers.  And that, in turn, drives viewership, who will want more bad stuff 'bout Swift.

I look forward to the coming weeks, where we will discover that Colin Kaepernick convinced Kelce to join the psyop when he met with him in the basement of a pizza place and gave him Hunter's laptop, and that a Bud Light loving drag queen set them up in a library.

this type of conspiracy theory is just another example of the failed education system in the USA.....  fucking idiots

I have seen Canuckians spout conspiracy bullshit about all sorts of things also.

And Brits.

And so on…

The USA doesn’t have the market cornered on tin foil hats. They just get more press than those igloo dwellers up north!!!;)

(edited)
29 minutes ago, grimmie said:

I have seen Canuckians spout conspiracy bullshit about all sorts of things also.

And Brits.

And so on…

The USA doesn’t have the market cornered on tin foil hats. They just get more press than those igloo dwellers up north!!!;)

Conspiracy believers and antivaxxers both haunt the dz here. But are a small minority.

Edited by gowlerk

30 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Hoo-boy, I am sure to regret this but I'll bite, what sort of conspiracies plague the Peg?

Well for one Gary Bettman is working with the forces of darkness to move the Jets to New Orleans or Peoria.

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Well for one Gary Bettman is working with the forces of darkness to move the Jets to New Orleans or Peoria.

Hahahahaha!

No Canuckian team has won the CUP since he was made commissioner! He hates Canada!

The most often posted line by Canadians on the hockey forums daily!

Because why wouldn’t he want Toronto and Edmonton to play for the Cup:)

21 minutes ago, grimmie said:

Hahahahaha!

No Canuckian team has won the CUP since he was made commissioner! He hates Canada!

The most often posted line by Canadians on the hockey forums daily!

Because why wouldn’t he want Toronto and Edmonton to play for the Cup:)

Because profitable future growth of the NHL is not in Canada.

DoD spokesperson Sabrina Singh just announced that they "know all too well the dangers of conspiracy theories, so to set the record straight—Taylor Swift is not part of a DOD psychological operation. Period.” 

O brave new world that needs such announcements in it.

(edited)
2 hours ago, billvon said:

DoD spokesperson Sabrina Singh just announced that they "know all too well the dangers of conspiracy theories, so to set the record straight—Taylor Swift is not part of a DOD psychological operation. Period.” 

O brave new world that needs such announcements in it.

:rofl:

Trust your government folks!

Hint: look up the original meaning of NASA for example (where the word comes from)

Edited by Oli Vers

45 minutes ago, Oli Vers said:

Hint: look up the original meaning of NASA for example (where the word comes from)

NASA started out as NACA, which stood for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.  Around 1958 it became NASA once it took on research into space travel as well.

Can't wait to see how you link this to the Taylor Swift threat.  Secret Taylor Swift space lasers?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oli Vers said:

:rofl:

Trust your government folks!

Give us a clue? I was kinda curious but the only thing that appeared on a search was a Biblical Hebrew word meaning “to lift up”… which is both strangely appropriate and entirely un-sinister. 

9 hours ago, billvon said:

NASA started out as NACA, which stood for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics.  Around 1958 it became NASA once it took on research into space travel as well.

Can't wait to see how you link this to the Taylor Swift threat.  Secret Taylor Swift space lasers?

The most common aerofoil sections are still called NACA aerofoils.

Oli Vers must be a friend of Rhys/The Hundredth Monkey - they're both based in NZ.

We've got a new Rhys...yay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

The most common aerofoil sections are still called NACA aerofoils.

Oli Vers must be a friend of Rhys/The Hundredth Monkey - they're both based in NZ.

We've got a new Rhys...yay.

I like socks, yet I prefer the type used on feet, not in forums.

12 minutes ago, normiss said:

I like socks, yet I prefer the type used on feet, not in forums.

Unfortunately he's probably not a sockpuppet, he's put enough details to show he's not washed up canopy pilot Rhys Kempen. He appears to be a TI, Oliver Schoenfeld, which is good so I can tell people to avoid his logbook app that's on his profile.

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Unfortunately he's probably not a sockpuppet, he's put enough details to show he's not washed up canopy pilot Rhys Kempen. He appears to be a TI, Oliver Schoenfeld, which is good so I can tell people to avoid his logbook app that's on his profile.

OK, it might me a good app; just as people who disagree vehemently with Billvonn still use Qualcomm technology (well, if he's still working there). I would separate the two, and also not take one statement by a non-native speaker of English as indicative of whack-job status. 

That said, as a former NASA contractor, Billvon's description of the origins is quite accurate.

Wendy P.

18 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I would separate the two, and also not take one statement by a non-native speaker of English as indicative of whack-job status. 

Yes to this. The comment he made was a little cryptic and could easily be sarcasm. And his recent posting record shows that he mostly posts helpful comments in other forums here and not much in SC.

• Like 3

Well...

It was sarcasm but it doesn't look like that's the right place for it.
But then also, i am German and what do Germans know about sarcasm or fun stuff in general, right? :eyes:
Never mind!

And no, I am certainly not Rhys, never met him, only heard about his "great" online reputation...just like here.

5 minutes ago, Oli Vers said:

It was sarcasm but it doesn't look like that's the right place for it.

No, this is a great place for sarcasm.  Unfortunately due to Poe's Law it is difficult sometimes to tell a parody from reality.

• Like 1