1 1
David Wang

Texas Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Court-Approved Abortion

16 hours ago, kallend said:

Texas’s Supreme Court found that the situation itself wasn’t sufficient grounds for allowing an exception to the state’s abortion ban, in a ruling that came after the Dallas-area woman decided to go out of state for the procedure. “Some difficulties in pregnancy, however, even serious ones, do not pose the heightened risks to the mother the exception encompasses,” the all Republican Texas Supreme Court wrote.

Assholes.

The ruling is actually scarier than that. It states that the decision if an exception is warranted lies with the doctor and the patient. They should then proceed to have the abortion without going to court first. Adjudication will come after the fact. They basically closed the door for future prior-to rulings.

Showing again that this abortion "issue" isn't about abortion, but relates to control.

16 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

The ruling is actually scarier than that. It states that the decision if an exception is warranted lies with the doctor and the patient. They should then proceed to have the abortion without going to court first. Adjudication will come after the fact.

That may be a blessing (sort of) in disguise.  The next time a woman with a risky pregnancy/dead fetus go to a doctor and they decide to do the abortion, the doctor and woman will absolutely be arrested - and that will start the process that will take the case to the Supreme Court.  And even a far right Supreme Court is going to have trouble with the idea that a woman can be jailed for saving her own life.

17 minutes ago, billvon said:

And even a far right Supreme Court is going to have trouble with the idea that a woman can be jailed for saving her own life.

I doubt that Thomas and Alito and maybe Gorsuch would have any problem with it. 

I'd really like to see the woman's lawyers show up dressed in Handmaid's Tale regalia.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billvon said:

That may be a blessing (sort of) in disguise.  The next time a woman with a risky pregnancy/dead fetus go to a doctor and they decide to do the abortion, the doctor and woman will absolutely be arrested - and that will start the process that will take the case to the Supreme Court.  And even a far right Supreme Court is going to have trouble with the idea that a woman can be jailed for saving her own life.

Wanna bet?

The cost potential is insanely high.

Taking a case to the SC costs in the millions of dollars.

And, there's no guarantee they're going to win.

So in addition to the money, there's real potential of going to prison for a long time. For both the woman and the doctor. 

I wouldn't be willing to put my wife/gf at that sort of risk. 
I don't think you're going to find a doctor willing to take that kind of risk either.

I'd just keep my mouth shut and go elsewhere. Probably permanently.

47 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Wanna bet?

The cost potential is insanely high.

Taking a case to the SC costs in the millions of dollars.

And, there's no guarantee they're going to win.

So in addition to the money, there's real potential of going to prison for a long time. For both the woman and the doctor. 

I wouldn't be willing to put my wife/gf at that sort of risk. 
I don't think you're going to find a doctor willing to take that kind of risk either.

I'd just keep my mouth shut and go elsewhere. Probably permanently.

Maybe the women would have a different view of making decisions about THEIR bodies?

8 minutes ago, normiss said:

Maybe the women would have a different view of making decisions about THEIR bodies?

Not sure what you mean about that.

My comment about 'putting my wife/gf at risk' is addressing the idea that, as a couple, we should make decisions that affect our future this drastically should be made together.
I'd support any woman who chose to go this route, and likely would donate to the cause, but I wouldn't want it to happen to me or anyone I care about.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

I have a hard time believing that a hospital, a doctor, nurses and a mother are going to all agree to take the risk of being jailed or financially ruined for years to try and win in front of the SC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

I have a hard time believing that a hospital, a doctor, nurses and a mother are going to all agree to take the risk of being jailed or financially ruined for years to try and win in front of the SC.

The win will not come in the courts. It will come in the voting booth.

I just learned about another TX legal case from Trae Crowder.

A prison guard says she was forced to stay at her post during labor pains. Texas is fighting compensation for her stillbirth.

The seven-months-pregnant officer reported contraction-like pains at work, but said she wasn’t allowed to leave for hours. The anti-abortion state is fighting her lawsuit, in part by saying her fetus didn’t clearly have rights.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

It's happened before.  Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter did it.  And of course Rosa Parks did something similar.

And, like them, it’ll probably be people with some organizational backing — I.e. a legal team who will represent them in the interests of individual freedom and self-determination. Hopefully it’s being assembled now. Unfortunately Sarah Weddington is no longer alive; she’d have been great to include as an adviser  

Wendy P. 

3 hours ago, billvon said:

It's happened before.  Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter did it.  And of course Rosa Parks did something similar.

I think you’re deliberately missing the point.

Loving and Jeter didn’t enlist the help of church staff willing to go to prison - they deliberately went out of state where it was not illegal, which is the exact opposite of your suggestion. Rosa Parks also didn’t have to persuade the bus company and it’s employees to accept criminal liability. 

It might still happen, but it’s not the same thing.

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not sure what you mean about that.

My comment about 'putting my wife/gf at risk' is addressing the idea that, as a couple, we should make decisions that affect our future this drastically should be made together.
I'd support any woman who chose to go this route, and likely would donate to the cause, but I wouldn't want it to happen to me or anyone I care about.

I clearly misread your comments.

I think we're actually in agreement, my apologies.

I have been through the abortion issue, but not when it was illegal, and we were BOTH part of the decision.

I also felt her decision carried a lot more weight than mine.

It was the right decision for us and where we were in life at that time.

5 hours ago, normiss said:

I have been through the abortion issue, but not when it was illegal, and we were BOTH part of the decision.

Hi Mark,

A long-time good friend and his wife, decided to have an abortion.  A few yrs later, she gave birth to a beautiful, wanted child.

Every woman should make these decisions for herself, by herself.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Mark,

A long-time good friend and his wife, decided to have an abortion.  A few yrs later, she gave birth to a beautiful, wanted child.

Every woman should make these decisions for herself, by herself.

Jerry Baumchen

Fully agreed Jerry,

My experience was with my ex-wife. We later had 3 daughters, and it was wonderful raising my girls.

I later also aborted the marriage. My ex wife slept with EVERYBODY. 

MC

Hi folks,

Looks like the money folks are taking a stand:  Texas’s abortion ban [ is ]  making it harder for businesses in the state to recruit

Dozens of Texas businesses back challenge to abortion ban: ‘This is why our economy is taking a hit’ | The Hill

Last time I checked, money talks.

Jerry Baumchen

On 12/13/2023 at 10:58 AM, normiss said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/12/15/ohio-woman-miscarriage-abuse-of-corpse-grand-jury/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

still no pro life folks chiming in on this conversation 

given that Texas and now this case in Ohio are both indefensible in any way

but, that is what they wanted, and they are getting it. Too bad we might have to see such a level of harm in order to wake up to the fact that their ideology is so fucked up…..