1 1
brenthutch

Billions spent on charging stations = zero

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/12/05/where-are-all-those-ev-chargers-congress-spent-billions-on-in-2021-n2167185

EVs are a non-solution to a non-problem that most folks don’t even care about.  Some inquiring minds might ask, where did those billions go? I’m sure the sheep will reply “to saving the planet” :rofl:

• Like 1

(edited)
42 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/12/05/where-are-all-those-ev-chargers-congress-spent-billions-on-in-2021-n2167185

EVs are a non-solution to a non-problem that most folks don’t even care about.  Some inquiring minds might ask, where did those billions go? I’m sure the sheep will reply “to saving the planet” :rofl:

Not sure what you are complaining about....?

"Congress at the urging of the Biden administration agreed in 2021 to spend $7.5 billion to build tens of thousands of electric vehicle chargers across the country, aiming to appease anxious drivers while tackling climate change.

Two years later, the program has yet to install a single charger."

50% of cars sales are expected to be EV by 2030... so there is plenty of time for the infrastructure to match the demand.  and the money was not nor ever intended to be spent all at once or in any given period of time.

even red republican Florida is on board: fdotevmp.pdf (windows.net)

Edited by tkhayes
hit enter too soon

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

EVs are a non-solution to a non-problem that most folks don’t even care about.

Just like automobiles!  We had horses, after all, and only the rich could afford automobiles.

Some inquiring minds might ask, where did those billions go?

To fund charging stations that are being built now.

9 hours ago, tkhayes said:

Not sure what you are complaining about....?

"Congress at the urging of the Biden administration agreed in 2021 to spend $7.5 billion to build tens of thousands of electric vehicle chargers across the country, aiming to appease anxious drivers while tackling climate change.

Two years later, the program has yet to install a single charger."

50% of cars sales are expected to be EV by 2030... so there is plenty of time for the infrastructure to match the demand.  and the money was not nor ever intended to be spent all at once or in any given period of time.

even red republican Florida is on board: fdotevmp.pdf (windows.net)

BH was on here roughly 3 months after the Inflation Reduction Act was passed, clutching his pearls at the lack of change after spending all that taxpayer money.  It's the shit that makes you wonder if he's legit trolling or if he really doesn't understand. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, billvon said:

Just like automobiles!  We had horses, after all, and only the rich could afford automobiles.

To fund charging stations that are being built now.

How many billions of dollars did the federal government spend on building gas stations?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

How many billions of dollars did the federal government spend on building gas stations?

How many billions of dollars has the federal government spent on motor vehicle infrastructure? 

Hint…. It’s a fuckton.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, jakee said:

How many billions of dollars has the federal government spent on motor vehicle infrastructure? 

Hint…. It’s a fuckton.

Charging stations are analogous to gas stations…not roads and bridges. With that in mind, I will re-ask. How many billions of dollars did the government spend on gas stations?

Edited by brenthutch

Charging stations are analogous to gas stations…not roads and bridges.

If you want to cling to the utter fiction that the free market alone created the current dominance of the motor car then sure they are. If you want to actually examine how much government money goes into giving people the ability to drive around, they’re really not. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jakee said:

If you want to cling to the utter fiction that the free market alone created the current dominance of the motor car then sure they are. If you want to actually examine how much government money goes into giving people the ability to drive around, they’re really not. 

That is not what I asked, now is it? I’ll try again… How many billions of dollars did the government spend on installing gas stations? I’ll help…

The answer of course is zero 

56 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is not what I asked, now is it? I’ll try again… How many billions of dollars did the government spend on installing gas stations? I’ll help…

Fossil fuel subsidies have now surged to $7 trillion worldwide last year alone. The US is running at $20 billion annually. This doesn't include costs of oil company bankruptcies where they leave the cleanup costs to the states and federal government..

13 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Some inquiring minds might ask, where did those billions go? I’m sure the sheep will reply “to saving the planet” :rofl:

Have you got some liberal-democrat friends you're not telling us about? An inquiring mind is not typical of your thinking.

• Like 1

Federal funds for fuel retailers?

Federal Aid Highway Act of 1921 was considered a large Federal contribution of funds to support gas stations.

PPP funds for fuel retailers? $380 BILLION????

Numerous States have provided funding for fuel stations to replace and upgrade fueling equipment.

SBA provides low interest loans to gas stations.

huh....it's just too easy. Every. Damn. Time.

So yeah, ZERO efforts by some to investigate or put any effort into anything besides the "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING AND NOTHING WILL FIX THE WORLD SO I DON'T CARE YOU'RE ALL WRONG AND THE PLANET IS blah blah blah blah blah blah"

Trolls gotta troll.

• Like 6

(edited)
9 minutes ago, normiss said:

Federal funds for fuel retailers?

Federal Aid Highway Act of 1921 was considered a large Federal contribution of funds to support gas stations.

PPP funds for fuel retailers? $380 BILLION????

Numerous States have provided funding for fuel stations to replace and upgrade fueling equipment.

SBA provides low interest loans to gas stations.

huh....it's just too easy. Every. Damn. Time.

So yeah, ZERO efforts by some to investigate or put any effort into anything besides the "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING AND NOTHING WILL FIX THE WORLD SO I DON'T CARE YOU'RE ALL WRONG AND THE PLANET IS blah blah blah blah blah blah"

Trolls gotta troll.

Once again you are confusing the building of roads and bridges and subsidies to push biofuels with the construction of gas stations. 

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That is not what I asked, now is it?

Of course, because of course you know that if you asked a relevant question you’d get an answer that is really, really bad for your worldview. The free market alone did not build and does not maintain the transport infrastructure necessary for everyday use of motor vehicles. EV charging stations are but one small example of that.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

You sure about that? None, not once, never?

22 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Once again you are confusing the building of roads and bridges and subsidies to push biofuels with the construction of gas stations. 

Translated: I didn't read a damn thing you posted, but I'm still right and you're wrong, so neener neener.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

<blocking:y, uname:bh, persistent:y>

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Of course as usual you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Here is but one example:

"Under HBIIP, USDA provides grants to transportation fueling and distribution facilities. These grants lower the out-of-pocket costs for businesses to install and upgrade infrastructure and related equipment.

The $100 million available now will support a variety of fueling operations, including filling stations, convenience stores and larger retail stores that also sell fuel. The funds will also support fleet facilities including rail and marine, and fuel distribution facilities, such as fuel terminal operations, midstream operations, distribution facilities as well as home heating oil distribution centers.

The grants will cover up to 50% of total eligible project costs – but not more than $5 million – to help owners of transportation fueling and fuel distribution facilities convert to higher blends of ethanol and biodiesel. These higher-blend fuels must be greater than 10% for ethanol and greater than 5% for biodiesel. "

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 11:11 AM, brenthutch said:

they provided a direct link to federal funding for gas stations.... are you going to acknowledge that you are incorrect in your claims?

No, i would expect not....  go ahead and pretzel yourself again in trying to wiggle out of being 100% wrong

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tkhayes said:

they provided a direct link to federal funding for gas stations.... are you going to acknowledge that you are incorrect in your claims?

No, i would expect not....  go ahead and pretzel yourself again in trying to wiggle out of being 100% wrong

I’m not saying that gas stations are not benefiting from federal funds today or that roads and bridges built by the government in the past have indirectly benefited them.  What I am saying is that there was never a government program to build thousands of gas stations paid for by the taxpayers like today’s plan to build thousands of charging stations paid for by taxpayers 

(edited)
18 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I’m not saying that gas stations are not benefiting from federal funds today or that roads and bridges built by the government in the past have indirectly benefited them.  What I am saying is that there was never a government program to build thousands of gas stations paid for by the taxpayers like today’s plan to build thousands of charging stations paid for by taxpayers 

I'm saying so what? You claim that EVs aren't valid unless the free market alone makes them successful - the free market alone didn't make cars successful. Governments have paid and continue to pay (not just subsidise, actually pay out) staggering amounts of money to enable the normal use of cars.

When you just drill down to one individual aspect of the world of cars and try and make it sound critically important that one type is government funded and the other one (supposedly) isn't - why should anyone care?

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

I’m not saying that gas stations are not benefiting from federal funds today  . . .

You were literally saying that.

However, if you are now backtracking and admitting that the government DOES subsidize gas vehicles, gas stations, oil companies and public roads, then great - you now recognize that subsidizing new technologies is nothing new for the US.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

I'm saying so what? You claim that EVs aren't valid unless the free market alone makes them successful - the free market alone didn't make cars successful. Governments have paid and continue to pay (not just subsidise, actually pay out) staggering amounts of money to enable the normal use of cars.

When you just drill down to one individual aspect of the world of cars and try and make it sound critically important that one type is government funded and the other one (supposedly) isn't - why should anyone care?

Hi jakee,

Re:  the free market alone didn't make cars successful.

In the 1930's Gen Motors, among others, heavily lobbied Congress to not fund any form of public transportation.  They wanted to sell cars, not see people using buses, trains, etc.

Jerry Baumchen

9 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi jakee,

Re:  the free market alone didn't make cars successful.

In the 1930's Gen Motors, among others, heavily lobbied Congress to not fund any form of public transportation.  They wanted to sell cars, not see people using buses, trains, etc.

Jerry Baumchen

It was the plot of Who Framed Roger Rabbit

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

Back in 1969, the government funded a project to develop "packet switching" theory into something called "ARPANET".  You never hear about it anymore, so it must not have been successful.

Sure you have. It became famous as the Pantera restaurant chain.

• Like 1