JoeWeber

The Biden economy is working

Many of the major financial news groups have given up on the recession narrative and are touting the soft landing.  Overall, not too bad, but yes still a lot of people are hand to mouth.  I am doing just fine myself, or at least good enough to not whine about it every day.

Of course the trumpians are "THE WORST ECONOMY EVERY!  OUR COUNTRY IS BEING DESTROYED!" because groceries went up in price.  They are still whining about gas when it is way down compared to last year.  GWB had $4 gas, but they seem to forget that.  And they seem to not notice that every major grocery store chain is recording absolutely record profits..... but that must be Biden's fault anyway

Equally I find it ironic that 10 or so years ago, when progressives were saying they wanted a living wage and $15/hour, the right wing shout was "shoulda stayed in school and get a better job' and whining about how much a Big Mac was going to cost.....

Seems that the tables are now turned.... school is still open, there are plenty of jobs out there, go better yourself and make more money.  And if you have no usable skills?  Well the world needs janitors too.

The average American has seen their real wages reduced by about 4%.  When the question asked is “are you better off now than at the start of Biden’s presidency”, the answer for most Americans is no. That simple fact is reflected in Biden’s poll numbers.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The average American has seen their real wages reduced by about 4%.  When the question asked is “are you better off now than at the start of Biden’s presidency”, the answer for most Americans is no. That simple fact is reflected in Biden’s poll numbers.

Absolutely correct, and while America has been suffering from supply shortages, crazy inflation and rising interest rates just for starters the rest of the world has been seeing real economic growth at such a rate that now Ghana is the #2 economy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slim King said:

The Trump years were the best!!!!!! This economy sucks now. Give me some more MAGA economy!!!!! Only hard core yes men would say we are better off. Coffee prices have doubled since Joe stole office and pretty much everyone drinks coffee...

Please tone down your rabid Independent political rantings….and if you don’t mind, fetch me a tea

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lippy said:

Please tone down your rabid Independent political rantings….if you don’t mind, fetch me a beer the game is about to start and I have $100 on the Eagles

On 11/23/2023 at 10:42 AM, brenthutch said:

See above it has your two tasks for the day.

Edited by Phil1111

27 minutes ago, airdvr said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/layoffs-sweeping-the-us-these-are-the-companies-making-cuts-2023#deloitte-1200-jobs-27

I dunno.  Not buying it.

Seriously doubt companies would be laying off in these numbers in a good economy.

A good economy doesn't mean every single company is growing like gangbusters.  Looking through that list, the majority of companies are tech firms that grew like gangbusters during the pandemic and are now adjusting to the new normal where people are actually going outside more.  

Some of them are new leadership coming in and shaking things up.

Some are Binance: if you wanna pin layoffs at a crypto exchange with a fraudster CEO (yeah, another one) on the general economy then there's no point in going further.

The one thing on that list that does get my attention is Opendoor laying off 22% of their workforce, citing the high interest rates that are keeping the real estate market cool.  With inflation coming under control, here's hoping we can stick that soft landing...

28 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Seriously doubt companies would be laying off in these numbers in a good economy.

?? If you are wanting to cut costs, would you lay off people during a time of low unemployment or a time of high unemployment?  Under which conditions will you be able to re-hire lower paid employees easily?

Also, we've been hearing from conservatives that the Trump economy was so much better than the Biden economy, and how they wish those days would return.  The article you posted listed 187,000 job cuts.  (I counted.)  So how were things back then in the "good old days" of the Trump economy?

==========================================

2019 was one of the decade's worst years for job cuts in the US Heeb 

Jan 2, 2020, 8:34 AM PST

• Job cuts in the US were the highest in four years in 2019 even as the economy maintained a historically low unemployment rate, according to a report by Challenger, Gray & Christmas.
  • Employers announced plans to eliminate 592,556 jobs last year, a 10% rise from 2018 levels.
  • Companies most often said a bankruptcy or restructuring was behind the changes, according to the report.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/2019-was-one-of-decades-worst-years-layoffs-job-cuts-2020-1-1028791832

On 11/23/2023 at 12:11 PM, JoeWeber said:

Absolutely correct, and while America has been suffering from supply shortages, crazy inflation and rising interest rates just for starters the rest of the world has been seeing real economic growth at such a rate that now Ghana is the #2 economy. 

too bad that most Americans vote on the price of gas as if that is the only metric that matters.  The onslaught of Christian nationalism combined with the preservation of democracy when fascism is being promoted are seemingly a bigger item on the ballot, at least for me.

But why care about democracy or policy when steaks cost so much?

Edited by tkhayes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I forgot!  When the economy is working you shouldn’t attempt to grow your company. I must have fallen asleep during Spin Econ 101

When unemployment is low and your labor cost is high, companies lay off higher paid employees and hire lower paid employees.  Business 101.

11 hours ago, billvon said:

When unemployment is low and your labor cost is high, companies lay off higher paid employees and hire lower paid employees.  Business 101.

Low unemployment means fewer people available to replace those laid off. 

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Low unemployment means fewer people available to replace those laid off. 

Another Win Win for President Biden. Laid off workers get a raise in pay because employers needing workers have so few new qualified applicants. Just more facts that you never see on FOX

42 minutes ago, billvon said:

Well, look on the bright side here.  You can now claim that the Biden low unemployment numbers means no one can hire.  It's a disaster!

The markets and the employment scene both seem pretty healthy at the moment. What was a bear 2 months ago now is looking like a bull. The fallout from the pandemic is not over but seems to be being managed as well as it could be. Certainly much better than having an erratic unpredictable reactionary party in charge. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Just catching up?  It’s been that way for a long time

There ya go!  I am now in agreement with the latest Breitbart talking points.  

Up next - vaccines don't work, Trump is not a rapist, all the women are lying, and he really won the election.