2 2
brenthutch

EVs, Aspirations vs Reality

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Yeah, but I’d bet you’d vote for her over pretty much any possible democrat.

Wendy P. 

That's the deal, really, and we all know it. Whether it's money in their pockets today, accepting harm to women in exchange for banning abortions now, putting Jesus in our schools and brown skinned folks in their place, or guns in their pockets, they will vote their personal issues and dissemble here when asked about their voting intentions. Winsor and Kallend are fond of pointing out that the US average IQ of 100 (or slightly less) renders many citizens incapable of participating in modern discourse and decision making. They are correct. I'd go further, I'd say the number is a bit higher at the minimum.

17 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That's the deal, really, and we all know it. Whether it's money in their pockets today, accepting harm to women in exchange for banning abortions now, putting Jesus in our schools and brown skinned folks in their place, or guns in their pockets, they will vote their personal issues and dissemble here when asked about their voting intentions. Winsor and Kallend are fond of pointing out that the US average IQ of 100 (or slightly less) renders many citizens incapable of participating in modern discourse and decision making. They are correct. I'd go further, I'd say the number is a bit higher at the minimum.

They don't even vote for their own interests; They vote against their own interests, after listening to the GOP politicians who have no actual platform or policy, and just bang on and on about a fictional culture war to agitate their followers.

Need proof the GOP has no platform? Just go read the 2020 GOP Platform. Go ahead; I'll wait.

Funny thing is there are actual issues that are considered "left wing" that some on the extreme right agree with:

<REDACTED> supports legal access to abortion, in part because he believes it would reduce the number of black and Hispanic people, which he says would be a "great boon" to white people. <REDACTED> also supports a national single-payer health care system because he believes it would benefit white people.

Guess who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_B._Spencer#Health_care

But of course the GOP won't support either, because the former would upset the bible-thumpers, and the latter would upset the billionaire donors.

(edited)

Let’s get back on track…From Gallup

“More Americans said in 2024 that they would not consider purchasing an electric vehicle (EV) than in 2023, a new Gallup poll found.

The poll found that 48 percent of respondents said they would not consider buying an electric vehicle — up 7 percentage points than those who said the same in 2023.”

Wow! Looks like public sentiment is going the wrong way, 

Edited by brenthutch

I'm not saying that this is the reason, but maybe - just maybe the reason is that in 2023 it was announced that the US would transition over to NACS as a charging standard. If American's have a bias for Tesla for whatever reason, there is no reason for them to want to purchase a substandard car from another manufacturer with a connection method that would require an adapter. Why would anyone do that? I personally would not want to purchase a vehicle were I would need to have an adapter for the next 10+ years. Then after that, the resale value would tank because NO ONE would want a CCS car 10 years from now. If my choices are CCS car now or gas, I think I'm taking gas or better yet hybrid. Not that I wouldn't rather have an electric vehicle. I just don't want to have one with all the problems of CCS. I'm not buying a movie in VHS when I could buy it now in DVD for cheap and in a year or two and get a UHD 4k BLU-Ray version.

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

I'm not saying that this is the reason, but maybe - just maybe the reason is that in 2023 it was announced that the US would transition over to NACS as a charging standard. If American's have a bias for Tesla for whatever reason, there is no reason for them to want to purchase a substandard car from another manufacturer with a connection method that would require an adapter.

Well:

1) No reason to purchase a substandard car.  Get one that meets your requirements.

2) Maybe it's just because I am an EE, but I use adapters for EVERYTHING.  I use an adapter that converts 120VAC to 20VDC for my laptop.  I use adapters so I can use 120VAC devices with 240VAC outlets (and vice versa.)  I use adapter cables to go from USB-A to USB-C.  My wife has a Tesla with an adapter for J1772.  Nice because those sort of level 2 chargers are everywhere.  She also has a Chademo to Tesla adapter for fast charging that once got some use, but now that Chademo is going away it's almost never used.  I have an adapter from Tesla to J1772 for the Prius Prime I have.  Also nice because most level 2 Tesla chargers (called "destination chargers") are free, paid for by Tesla.  So it's a non issue for me.

On 4/10/2024 at 2:35 PM, billvon said:

A while back we went to Maui, and the second cheapest car to rent was an EV.  Got it (a Bolt) and it was great for us.

Then went to Dallas for the eclipse.  I got a choice of four cars from Avis, and one was the Pacifica PHEV.  Charged it and didn't have to pay for gas the whole time we were there.  (And it was huge.)

Trying to imagine the panic on a conservative's face when he just does the "rent the cheapest car" option to be frugal - and finds himself with an EV.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/insurance/auto/articles/hertz-is-selling-20000-electric-vehicles-heres-why-thats-a-bad-sign-for-ev-costs/#:~:text=Hertz recently announced that it,news for used EV buyers.

Looks like the shine is off the penny for Hertz.

“The decline in EV sales in the market was particularly pronounced among European automakers, as reported by data from the KBA, Germany’s federal motor transport authority. Citroen, Jaguar, Polestar, and Volkswagen all saw a 30 percent reduction in EV sales in Q1 2024 compared to the previous year. Meanwhile, Porsche, Peugeot, Mini, Fiat, and DS experienced even larger contractions, with reductions exceeding 40 percent.”

From Carscoops.com

(edited)

“In February 2024, the electric vehicle (EV) producer reduced its salaried workforce by 10%. Yesterday, it announced plans to lay off even more workers.”

I guess they are giving them a rest before the inevitable massive transition to EV.

Edited by brenthutch

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

147.05 USD-101.37 (-40.81%)year to date

Closed: Apr 19, 7:59 PM EDT • Disclaimer

So, first you spend about 4 years telling everybody that Tesla will never pan out...then, in December 2023 you said: "I was wrong about Tesla, full stop" so I guess you were at least acknowledging their successes.

Now, you're back holding up Tesla's decline and claiming you'd called it all along.  Make up your mind man...for those of us playing the home game, it's hard to keep up!

A reasonable person could make the argument that Tesla's latest decline has less to do the EV's in general and more to do with Musk's going 'full red pill', combined with many more EV options are coming onto the market...maybe if I had an MBA I'd see it differently though.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, lippy said:

So, first you spend about 4 years telling everybody that Tesla will never pan out...then, in December 2023 you said: "I was wrong about Tesla, full stop" so I guess you were at least acknowledging their successes.

Now, you're back holding up Tesla's decline and claiming you'd called it all along.  Make up your mind man...for those of us playing the home game, it's hard to keep up!

A reasonable person could make the argument that Tesla's latest decline has less to do the EV's in general and more to do with Musk's going 'full red pill', combined with many more EV options are coming onto the market...maybe if I had an MBA I'd see it differently though.  

For the first time in SC Brent has seen a ray of light that he might be right about something. Hence the endless toot, toot, toot.

Not right that Tesla is going broke like he stated. But a stock price correction is close enough to lean on the horn.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

For the first time in SC Brent has seen a ray of light that he might be right about something. Hence the endless toot, toot, toot.

Not right that Tesla is going broke like he stated. But a stock price correction is close enough to lean on the horn.

Easier to toot the horn than to step on the accelerator. Apparently those just fall off.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Let me bring you up to speed…

Energy transition, not happening 

EV transition, not happening 

End of the world from climate change, not happening.

How is that?

patently false.  Solar is still being built at record rates across the country.  wind installations are happening in dozens of states.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Let me bring you up to speed…

Energy transition, not happening 

EV transition, not happening 

End of the world from climate change, not happening.

How is that?

Brent acknowledging reality, not happening 

• Like 2

From Hydroreview.com 4/8/24
“The world is burning more fossil fuels than ever before, global energy-related emissions are increasing, and ever-growing energy demand is not being fully met by renewables”

If renewables can’t even keep pace with the growth in demand, they sure as hell won’t be able replace fossil fuels in time to “save the planet”

You guys must live in the land of Magical Thinking.

13 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

From Hydroreview.com 4/8/24
“The world is burning more fossil fuels than ever before, global energy-related emissions are increasing, and ever-growing energy demand is not being fully met by renewables”

If renewables can’t even keep pace with the growth in demand, they sure as hell won’t be able replace fossil fuels in time to “save the planet”

You guys must live in the land of Magical Thinking.

no one debates that - but that is not what you said

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“Energy transition not happening”

Energy transition will never be total and complete. I guess that means a win for you, and the people who still use kerosene lamps, too

Wendy P.

3 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Energy transition will never be total and complete. I guess that means a win for you, and the people who still use kerosene lamps, too

Wendy P.

That would be the Amish?