2 2
brenthutch

EVs, Aspirations vs Reality

16 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Honda Accord coup: 3500 lbs

Tesla model 3 3800 lbs

My wife’s GLS 450 weighs about the same as a Tesla X (5489 respectively 5390) and the GLS is more capable.

For the sake of the planet I will keep my Honda and Mercedes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2024/03/18/electric-vehicle-price-drop/

more affordable than ever

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Peter White is a rather eccentric character who maintains an online shop with bicycle components. I have ordered parts from him in the past. His website looks pretty ordinary except for the oddity there is no way to order online; You must call to order.

However, click on the "Products" tab, then scroll down to "WMDs". ;-)

Peter White Cycles

Driven by there; it's about 25 miles from my family's ancestral summer camp. Also, just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Franklin Pierce homestead. It's about as impressive as Franklin Pierce.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tkhayes said:

more affordable than ever

Right wingers when prices are high: "No one will ever spend that much money on these overpriced go-karts!  They are worthless!"

Right wingers when prices are low: "See?  They are not worth anything.  They are worthless!"

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Right wingers when prices are high: "No one will ever spend that much money on these overpriced go-karts!  They are worthless!"

Right wingers when prices are low: "See?  They are not worth anything.  They are worthless!"

It’s just a simple matter of supply and demand.   Rental companies are liquidating their inventory at the same time demand is drying up. The result is a plunge in value. 

56 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It’s just a simple matter of supply and demand.   Rental companies are liquidating their inventory at the same time demand is drying up. The result is a plunge in value. 

As any MBA can tell you, any two coinciding events, at any point in time, is invariably predictive of the future.

“An electric vehicle business backed by David Beckham and championed by Sir Keir Starmer has put its commercial arm into administration after production setbacks, the Standard can reveal.

Silverstone-based Lunaz, which installs electric engines into commercial vehicles such as lorries as well as into classic cars like Aston Martin and Rolls Royce models, today said it had ceased operations of its commercial unit”

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/david-beckham-backed-ev-firm-172426782.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHZwoRGKxP7-z04DYw68b0Uj684zMBnKml-orrtul3gnQjp-6x0gFRkGUgnvfKGISikqwedakv9YfDcmHrWuRYerJlfkUh69HU8xaYg18MDpKCLtyFGAj8Amfx4jKacthSBF1WTQrTvJiMNuypdpYSeQqm1FqMixkp1SW1876n6k

Another one bites the dust

Trump recently declared war on EVs, using language like "kill" "hit job" and "blood bath."  

Good news for the EV industry!  With Trump's record, anything he supports is likely to fail, and it looks like the converse is true as well.

10 hours ago, wmw999 said:

50 Car companies that have failed

It's almost as though a new technology were riskier! Fortunately cars never caught on because of all the nay-sayers, right?

Wendy P.

Auburn, Cole, Crow, Davis, Dixie, Durant, Elcar, Grant, King, Kline, Lafayette, Kurtz, Marmon, Mercer, Overland, Peerless, Pilot, Roamer, Saxon, Stearns, Velie, Wescott, Winton and many others, all gone.

A while back we went to Maui, and the second cheapest car to rent was an EV.  Got it (a Bolt) and it was great for us.

Then went to Dallas for the eclipse.  I got a choice of four cars from Avis, and one was the Pacifica PHEV.  Charged it and didn't have to pay for gas the whole time we were there.  (And it was huge.)

Trying to imagine the panic on a conservative's face when he just does the "rent the cheapest car" option to be frugal - and finds himself with an EV.

13 minutes ago, billvon said:

A while back we went to Maui, and the second cheapest car to rent was an EV.  Got it (a Bolt) and it was great for us.

Then went to Dallas for the eclipse.  I got a choice of four cars from Avis, and one was the Pacifica PHEV.  Charged it and didn't have to pay for gas the whole time we were there.  (And it was huge.)

Trying to imagine the panic on a conservative's face when he just does the "rent the cheapest car" option to be frugal - and finds himself with an EV.

You are just jealous you can't pay for gas.

image.png.00a7887721e44f7aee8ef103f3802c77.png

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:28 PM, brenthutch said:

Did a 14 miles of single track yesterday (mountain biking) and for the life of me I couldn’t see the evidence of global calamity. Clear blue skies, temperatures in the lower 40 and just enough breeze to stay comfortable.

So your understanding of the science is that if GW was real there woud be no such thing as a nice day?

You need to lay off the FOX.

Ithaca NY, Tompkins County is buying 12 new diesel busses.  They have 8 electric busses that keep breaking down, hard to service, cant get parts and the company that built them is out of business.  They plan to buy electric busses from a different company when the time comes to replace their new diesel ones.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, jakee said:

So your understanding of the science is that if GW was real there woud be no such thing as a nice day?

You need to lay off the FOX.

Oh I forgot it only works one way, every time there is anything bad it is because of global warming (almost like we never had anything bad happen until recently) a fellow leftie even blamed the hatching of cicadas, the eclipse and the recent earthquake on global warming. It has gotten so ridiculous that the alarmists even blame record cold on global warming. Bill Nye a prominent alarmist even went as far as lighting a globe on fire with a blow torch to illustrate that the planet was “literally” on fire. I just mentioned that I saw no evidence of a global conflagration on my ride.

Edited by brenthutch

12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

a fellow leftie even blamed... the eclipse and the recent earthquake on global warming.

Dude... Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't a lefty and she wasn't talking about global warming.

21 minutes ago, jakee said:

Dude... Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't a lefty and she wasn't talking about global warming.

Not according to FOX News!  She once said hello to a black person, so she's part of woke insanity.