1 1
brenthutch

Coal demand at record levels

https://www.iea.org/news/global-coal-demand-set-to-remain-at-record-levels-in-2023#

“Global coal demand is estimated to have grown by about 1.5% in the first half of 2023 to a total of about 4.7 billion tonnes, lifted by an increase of 1% in power generation and 2% in non-power industrial uses.”

And to think some folks on this forum have been calling me a dead-ender and a dinosaur for correctly predicting the continued high demand for coal.  

Edited by brenthutch

59 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

All driven by China and India, since demand in America and Europe has been dropping. The environmental impacts in China and India will eventually cause them to reduce coal as well.

Reduce the rate of growth? Perhaps, however there is no sign they are going to reduce actual consumption in real terms in the foreseeable future as they are building more than two coal plants per week, each with an average lifespan of around 40 years.  CO2 emissions will continue to rise for the rest of your lifetime, just as I said.

Edited by brenthutch

31 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Reduce the rate of growth? Perhaps, however there is no sign they are going to reduce actual consumption in real terms in the foreseeable future as they are building more than two coal plants per week, each with an average lifespan of around 40 years.  CO2 emissions will continue to rise for the rest of your lifetime, just as I said.

Take it from Brent, who’s never made an imperfect prediction in this forum!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DougH said:

What is it that they say about broken clocks, or blind squirrels?

I'm not saying that I expect FF to go away tomorrow...if I did, I wouldn't be designing a new panel for oilfield service companies at the moment.  But Brent's got a habit of coming on here and sharing "absolute truths" that are little more than what he thinks will piss off lefties.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, lippy said:

I'm not saying that I expect FF to go away tomorrow...if I did, I wouldn't be designing a new panel for oilfield service companies at the moment.  But Brent's got a habit of coming on here and sharing "absolute truths" that are little more than what he thinks will piss off lefties.  

Yep.  We can all remember his "Tesla will be bankrupt in five years" prediction.

From S+P Global:

The new 2023 production forecast represents a 3.4% drop from the 597.2 million short tons of US coal output in 2022. Meanwhile, the agency expects 2024 production to total 491.2 million short tons, down 2.8% from the last forecast.

Coal is on its way out in the US, which is good for us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, billvon said:

From S+P Global:

The new 2023 production forecast represents a 3.4% drop from the 597.2 million short tons of US coal output in 2022. Meanwhile, the agency expects 2024 production to total 491.2 million short tons, down 2.8% from the last forecast.

Are you trying to confuse us with mere facts again?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, brenthutch said:

And to think some folks on this forum have been calling me a dead-ender and a dinosaur for correctly predicting the continued high demand for coal.  

Not for the prediction, although it's wrong, but because your world view is so rearward looking.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, Svarlabad Island - in the high arctic - is bragging about their new solar panels. Please keep in mind that Svarlabad only gets a few hours of sunlight per day and only during the summertime because it is above the arctic circle.

Did I miss something?

Wasn't Svarlabad colonized specifically to exploit coal mines?????????

19 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Meanwhile, Svarlabad Island - in the high arctic - is bragging about their new solar panels. Please keep in mind that Svarlabad only gets a few hours of sunlight per day and only during the summertime because it is above the arctic circle.

Did I miss something?

Wasn't Svarlabad colonized specifically to exploit coal mines?????????

That far north, the sun doesn't set in the summer.

According to google that's from April 20th and August 22nd.

Of course, the sun doesn't rise for an equal period of time during the winter.

7 hours ago, billvon said:

From S+P Global:

Aww, that is adorable.  Please explain just how a reduction in US coal production that is dwarfed by the massive increase from China and India is “good for us”

Unless you are referring to 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecnS1Ygf0o0

which I suspect you are 

Edited by brenthutch

59 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Aww, that is adorable.  Please explain just how a reduction in US coal production that is dwarfed by the massive increase from China and India is “good for us”

Unless you are referring to 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecnS1Ygf0o0

which I suspect you are 

You couldn't be more right: damn horseless carriages!

On 9/26/2023 at 10:23 PM, Slim King said:

The Libs are trying to force coal out of the US but as soon as the Conservatives get back in then coal will rebound like it is in China. CO2 is plant food.

Of course coal production and employment in coal both DECLINED during the Trump presidency. But, we wouldn't want facts to stand in your way.