1 1
brenthutch

Mid year update

19 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If you think that renewables will in anyway lower CO2 emissions you are sorely mistaken,

If energy generated by renewable sources would be generated by fossil fuels, CO2 emissions would be higher. hence renewables lower CO2 emissions.

Simple facts.

(edited)
56 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

If energy generated by renewable sources would be generated by fossil fuels, CO2 emissions would be higher. hence renewables lower CO2 emissions.

Simple facts.

I think you mean renewables can lessen the increase of CO2 but emissions increase nonetheless.

As you can see, despite trillions spent on renewables, CO2 levels continue to increase. 
https://www.co2.earth/daily-co2

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Simple facts.

But the wrong spin for the right wing agenda!  

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Renewables are replacing fossil fuels. Majority of the Solar and Wind being installed in China would otherwise be serviced by coal. So renewables are replacing fossil fuels. You make the insane argument that since it isn't 100% it doesn't matter.

Hi Sky,

Some folks live in a black or white environment; not a grey in sight.

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The notion of renewables replacing fossil fuels is a wacky lefty pipe dream.

No, it's an inevitability.  FF are a finite resource.  I'm not claiming that their end is in sight as of today, but at some point we're gonna run out of old dinosaur blood and it'd be best to have an alternative in place before that happens...as a skydiver, you should appreciate the importance of having a 'Plan B'.  

Even if you want to put your head in the sand about the realities of climate change, which you obviously do, I don't know what you think you're proving by getting all giddy about burning more coal rather than shoring up our long-term energy security.  I know what I think you're proving, but if I said so I might get a time out.

• Like 1

(edited)
10 hours ago, brenthutch said:

As you can see, despite trillions spent on renewables, CO2 levels continue to increase. 

Brent would have been a terrible marketer for Big Tobacco.

"I know you're trying to quit, but even if you go from 10 cigarettes a day to 1 cigarette a day, the TOTAL number you've smoked continues to increase every day! You should stop trying to quit!"

Edited by olofscience

9 hours ago, lippy said:

Even if you want to put your head in the sand about the realities of climate change, which you obviously do, I don't know what you think you're proving by getting all giddy about burning more coal rather than shoring up our long-term energy security.  I know what I think you're proving, but if I said so I might get a time out.

Then I'll say it for you. Brent knows he will be long dead before renewables will 100% replace fossil fuels. Therefore for him it is a win and he will not have to change anything. He obviously does not care about humanity or the future of humanity. As long as he gets his, that is all that matters. The affects that we create today are someone else's problem and he doesn't care about them at all. He has no concept of the idea that a small change today can make a big difference in the future. If you study history, you see this behavior from people in the past. Look at all the people who thought we could never exterminate the American Bison. Brent cannot see the damage we do until the last one dies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Then I'll say it for you. Brent knows he will be long dead before renewables will 100% replace fossil fuels. Therefore for him it is a win and he will not have to change anything. He obviously does not care about humanity or the future of humanity. As long as he gets his, that is all that matters. The affects that we create today are someone else's problem and he doesn't care about them at all. He has no concept of the idea that a small change today can make a big difference in the future. If you study history, you see this behavior from people in the past. Look at all the people who thought we could never exterminate the American Bison. Brent cannot see the damage we do until the last one dies.

He's happily selling his thneeds.

8 hours ago, CygnusX-1 said:

Look at all the people who thought we could never exterminate the American Bison. Brent cannot see the damage we do until the last one dies.

Yes do look at them, just like me they were right.

Population estimates in 2010 ranged from 400,000 to 500,000, with approximately 20,500 animals in 62 conservation herds and the remainder in approximately 6,400 commercial herds.[46][47] According to the IUCN, roughly 15,000 bison are considered wild, free-range bison not primarily confined by fencing.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Population estimates in 2010 ranged from 400,000 to 500,000, with approximately 20,500 animals in 62 conservation herds and the remainder in approximately 6,400 commercial herds.[46][47] According to the IUCN, roughly 15,000 bison are considered wild, free-range bison not primarily confined by fencing.

And let me guess, you think that happened magically and no additional effort was required to help bring Bison back from near extinction?

2023 has a better than 60% chance of being the hottest year on record.  We've already had the hottest June on record and so far July is the hottest July on record.

2024 is predicted to be somewhat warmer due to El Nino.

And just think about the fact that in 20 years we will be looking back at this summer, thinking about what life was like back when it was cooler.

14 hours ago, billvon said:

2023 has a better than 60% chance of being the hottest year on record.  We've already had the hottest June on record and so far July is the hottest July on record.

2024 is predicted to be somewhat warmer due to El Nino.

And just think about the fact that in 20 years we will be looking back at this summer, thinking about what life was like back when it was cooler.

OMG! The Hottest June in a hundred and fifty years!!! By a whopping .02 degrees!  Where do I sign up for a carbon tax?!?!

23 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I meant the people who thought there were unlimited numbers of bison.

The plains Bison in North America were exterminated on purpose in order to starve the native population who depended on them. They were mostly shot and left to rot where they lie. No one thought their numbers were unlimited.

17 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The plains Bison in North America were exterminated on purpose in order to starve the native population who depended on them. They were mostly shot and left to rot where they lie. No one thought their numbers were unlimited.

Sorry, corrected now - "those who thought we could never exterminate the bison". They were wrong, as brent continues to be wrong.

31 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

OMG! The Hottest June in a hundred and fifty years!!! By a whopping .02 degrees!  Where do I sign up for a carbon tax?!?!

Shows so clearly that you have no real argument. The numbers only look small to you because you probably failed too many maths classes in school.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I Agree,

You can add a bald eagle in the wild or majestic whales, never to be seen in our oceans.

The tragedy that was predicted in the "population bomb"LOL..or recently,The Barrier reef turned out a dud too.One researcher was quoted as saying there was more growth, than he had seen in his 30 years, despite bleaching and the crown of thorn, plages.

The supposed "unintended benefit" in the reduction of co2 that was covid, with travel restrictions, and the accompanying draconian covid lockdowns,  another mis. Begs the question.What brand are you using, ah,the box says F.E.A.R.