1 1
brenthutch

NPR Freaks Out

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

NPR and APM have chosen to completely abandon Twitter. As I'm sure many individuals have done and will do. Elon has enough money that he can afford to toss it away. Good for him, bad for Twitter.

Just imagine the engineering advances Tesla could have made with $44B in R&D, instead of flushing it down Twitter.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Just imagine the engineering advances Tesla could have made with $44B in R&D, instead of flushing it down Twitter.

Yeah....but what's the point of becoming that rich and powerful if you can't indulge in a little vanity project once in a while? I mean how much do you need to leave to your 10 and counting children?

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yeah....but what's the point of becoming that rich and powerful if you can't indulge in a little vanity project once in a while? I mean how much do you need to leave to your 10 and counting children?

Daddy always said “The only thing we are on Earth for is to reproduce”

Now Elon just needs to impregnate a daughter or step daughter, just like Daddy.

<creep shudder>

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

NPR was so freaked out that they quit Twitter 

Why would they want to pay a bunch of money to be unfairly treated when there are better ways of communicating with people?

Anyway, what does that have to do with them being completely right about the state affiliated media description and you being completely wrong?

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

And that is why your electricity is so expensive 

“PG&E customers pay about 80% more per kilowatt-hour than the national average, according to a study by the energy institute at UC Berkeley’s Haas Business School with the nonprofit think tank Next 10.”

I'm not PG+E.  But good attempt.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Why would they want to pay a bunch of money to be unfairly treated when there are better ways of communicating with people?

Anyway, what does that have to do with them being completely right about the state affiliated media description and you being completely wrong?

It might not meet some other arbitrary definition of state affiliated.  However in reality they are affiliated with the state.

“NPR may receive little direct federal funding, but a good deal of its budget comprises federal funds that flow to it indirectly by federal law.”

Just now, olofscience said:

But the state does not have any editorial control or influence.

Realistically I do believe that. But that belief is tempered by the fact that Clarence Thomas says free travel and luxury holidays does not buy influence either. Sometimes you have to give the devil his due. 

1 minute ago, gowlerk said:

Realistically I do believe that. But that belief is tempered by the fact that Clarence Thomas says free travel and luxury holidays does not buy influence either. Sometimes you have to give the devil his due. 

Hi Ken,

Further proof that he is senile and should be removed from the court.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It might not meet some other arbitrary definition of state affiliated.  However in reality they are affiliated with the state.

It does not, in any way whatsoever, meet the definition that Twitter has of state affiliated.

So again, NPR were completely right about this and you were completely wrong, weren’t you?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

It does not, in any way whatsoever, meet the definition that Twitter has of state affiliated.

No it does not. As a listener of NPR I would say that it is very in tune to and focused on America and American politics. It is extremely Washington centric. This means that it does a great job of serving the American people, which is its mandate. The state based local stations are equally focussed on covering their customer base. It is not beholden to either of the dominant parties, but in covering the craziness of politics these days the picture being painted makes one of them look bad. It can't be helped. Even when using even brush strokes the right side of the image usually appears dark and foreboding. 

• Like 2

(edited)
15 hours ago, brenthutch said:

NPR now has the same categorization as as Russia's RT and Sputnik, as well as China's Xinhua on Twitter.

Well that was just a chaotic way to excuse Musk removing the labels from Russia, China and Iranian state media.

He could have just made it a lot quicker by simply removing their state media labels in the first place, but then people like you wouldn't have supported that right? This way he actually has you cheering for him.

Edited by olofscience
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, brenthutch said:

NPR now has the same categorization as as Russia's RT and Sputnik, as well as China's Xinhua on Twitter.

Didn’t you just say NPR wasn’t on Twitter?

Anyway, I think we all know what that change says about Twitter. What do you think it says about NPR?

On 4/20/2023 at 11:08 AM, normiss said:

That 33 engine design though - looked like at least 9 rockets were not firing at one point.

Nice flips though....

Successful first test, but I wouldn't want to be on that first trip to deep space.

I was wondering about that.  On initial climb it appeared several motors were firing intermittently.

7 hours ago, airdvr said:

I was wondering about that.  On initial climb it appeared several motors were firing intermittently.

Yep.  And seeing actual flame usually indicates an engine running way too rich (and you are seeing the excess methane burn after it leaves the engine) or way too lean (and you are seeing the internals of the engine burn.)

There are half a dozen theories about what happened so far.  One of the leading ones is that a piece of the pad hit the hydraulic power unit, and it eventually failed, leading to no gimbal control and no ability to separate the second stage.