1 1
brenthutch

EV sales collapse

18 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Well, the numbers are out for the 1st quarter, and Tesla shipments were up from 4th quarter -- a new record.

That is just demand being pulled forward because of the expiring tax credits 

“The long-awaited Treasury Department say on which electric vehicle batteries will qualify for tax credits is in, and the RWD Tesla Model 3 is no longer eligible. Buyers can still get the full US$7,500 subsidy amount for the standard range Model 3 until April 18, though, informs Tesla.”

On 3/30/2023 at 7:30 PM, billvon said:

Meanwhile back in reality:

Electric vehicle (EV) sales are accelerating faster than predicted and are now expected to reach 55 per cent of total global vehicle sales by 2030, significantly earlier than previously forecast, according to a new report by consultancy organisation EY.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/03/27/ev-sales-now-expected-to-account-for-55-of-total-global-vehicle-sales-by-2030/

Electrification of cars in the United States significantly accelerated in early 2023, according to the latest reports for the month of January.

According to the registration data from Experian (via Automotive News), out of 1.24 million new light vehicles registered in January, some 87,708, or 7.1 percent were all-electric. That's a 74 percent increase year-over-year and a noticeable change, compared to a 4.3 percent share in January 2022. The 7.1 percent share is also a step change from 5.6 percent in the 12 months of 2022.

https://insideevs.com/news/657660/us-electric-car-sales-january2023/

US EV Sales Hit New Record, And People Are Buying More Than Just Teslas

https://www.pcmag.com/news/us-ev-car-sales-hit-new-record-and-people-are-buying-more-than-just-teslas

That's all and great, and I fully support it.  But, where do you fill them up?

11 minutes ago, StreetScooby said:

That's all and great, and I fully support it.  But, where do you fill them up?

Primarily at your house, or apartment, or place of work.  You park, plug in, then go to work/dinner.  82% of Americans live either in a house or an apartment complex with dedicated parking.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Primarily at your house, or apartment, or place of work.  You park, plug in, then go to work/dinner.  82% of Americans live either in a house or an apartment complex with dedicated parking.

How much would you expect to pay if "refilled" at your house?  That's ignoring the cost of installing that equipment.

8 minutes ago, StreetScooby said:

How much would you expect to pay if "refilled" at your house?  That's ignoring the cost of installing that equipment.

It has pretty much been shown that EVs will be cheaper to run. People will are argue over the exact numbers. Are you trying to make a point here or do you just want us to research it for you? It would be pretty easy.

• Like 1

The estimate around where I live is that it’s about 1/2 the cost per mile. It’s a much simpler mechanism, so there shouldn’t be as many repairs. The big up front cost would be installing 220 in the garage if there isn’t something already useful. I have a plug in hybrid (not enough infrastructure in a rural place I go several times a year), and I’ve driven 10,000 miles and used less than 100 gallons of actual gasoline so far. Most of my driving is local, so most of it’s fully electric. It’s a more complicated machine because it has both, but it suits our needs now  

Wendy P. 

48 minutes ago, StreetScooby said:

I pay nothing because I have solar and generate more than I use.  My power bill is $6 a month.  And the minimum equipment you need is an outlet.  With nothing more than an outlet you can add 75 miles a day of range.

People here with EVs and without solar generally get a TOU plan that sells power very cheaply at night, then they set a charge timer on their car to charge only after midnight.  This also prevents overloading the grid during high demand times.  For example, power prices here are truly insane - they are the second highest in the country, second only to Hawaii.  At peak times during the summer you can pay 75 cents a kilowatt-hour.  But on EV-TOU-5, you pay 14 cents a kwhr for nighttime charging.

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

CNBC was reporting this morning that Ford 150 EVs i.e. the Lightning. Are selling over MSRP

Oh well so much for incentives.

https://247wallst.com/autos/2023/03/05/fords-poor-f-150-lightning-sales/

“The Ford F-150 Lightning is supposed to be its EV flagship. It is the electric version of its F-150 pickup, the best-selling vehicle in America for over four decades. That should give the Lightning a built-in advantage. However, Ford has only sold 3,600 in the first two months of 2023.”

Just now, brenthutch said:

https://247wallst.com/autos/2023/03/05/fords-poor-f-150-lightning-sales/

“The Ford F-150 Lightning is supposed to be its EV flagship. It is the electric version of its F-150 pickup, the best-selling vehicle in America for over four decades. That should give the Lightning a built-in advantage. However, Ford has only sold 3,600 in the first two months of 2023.”

Well you've got us there, again. Just like driving any kind of vehicle anywhere there are stops, slow downs, diversions, and school zones that slow things down. When it was all about a few Model T's it was no problemo but over time (time is that thing that apparently goes in only one direction but has variable speed) all of that wouldn't do because time was at work doing the time thing and, holy moly, not so suddenly there were so many cars we needed 7-11's and Tim Horton's and and turn outs with toilets. But I digress, for context do you have any data from 2033?

17 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

The Ford F-150 Lightning is supposed to be its EV flagship. It is the electric version of its F-150 pickup, the best-selling vehicle in America for over four decades. That should give the Lightning a built-in advantage. However, Ford has only sold 3,600 in the first two months of 2023.”

They have sold all they can make with a year-long waiting list.  It's no surprise to anyone other than you that a brand new vehicle line takes a while to get up to full production.

But the people who have gotten them - love them.

https://www.summitdaily.com/sports/mountain-wheels-high-power-all-electric-ford-f-150-lightning-is-worth-the-wait/

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Not too far from my house, Tesla just installed [another] fifty (50) charging stations in a high traffic area. Even rural America has a forecast of EV's.

They are currently installing Tesla chargers in the service plazas along the Ohio Turnpike.
Indiana already has them.

(edited)
17 hours ago, billvon said:

They have sold all they can make with a year-long waiting list.  It's no surprise to anyone other than you that a brand new vehicle line takes a while to get up to full production.

But the people who have gotten them - love them.

https://www.summitdaily.com/sports/mountain-wheels-high-power-all-electric-ford-f-150-lightning-is-worth-the-wait/

So good that Ford halted production 

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, billvon said:

And now Wal-Mart will be installing chargers at all their stores within 6 years.  They are starting to lose ground to Costco; this is a way to draw people back to Wal-Marts.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/walmart-plans-own-ev-charger-network-at-us-stores-by-2030/ar-AA19xYlo

Hi Bill,

If this tide gets any bigger, we might just call it a tsunami.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  My daughter, yesterday test drove 3 EV's.  Both she & her husband really liked the Volvo.  2023 XC40 Recharge All Electric SUV | Volvo Car USA (volvocars.com)

Plus, Volvo is coming out with an upgrade, in a few weeks, that has a range of over 300 miles.

On 4/1/2023 at 5:32 AM, olofscience said:

1 year > 4 months.

...let me guess, maths and whiskey don't mix?

No genius, I left that one out because the waiting list for the Lightning is a function of Ford shutting down production not because of huge demand.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&sxsrf=APwXEddXv_6wSTpIIZdIr5iKyGQuBBSQ9g:1680819116202&q=ford+halts+lightning+production&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwin-uiSo5b-AhU8F1kFHff8Aq4Q0pQJegQIDhAB&biw=1144&bih=743&dpr=2

3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

If this tide gets any bigger, we might just call it a tsunami.

Yep.  EV's are growing so fast that charging infrastructure is finding it hard to keep up.

Which is a nice problem to have.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/the-long-game/2023/04/06/charging-woes-threaten-to-curb-evs-ascent-00090795

51 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yep.  EV's are growing so fast that charging infrastructure is finding it hard to keep up.

Which is a nice problem to have.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/the-long-game/2023/04/06/charging-woes-threaten-to-curb-evs-ascent-00090795

No kidding. My awesome Chief Pilot just bought a new electric BMW. Guess who now has a charging station at his DZ? You'll never be a surfer if you don't chance catching a wave, seems to me.

Boats are going the same way with hybrid electric/diesel options available in new builds. I'm already mostly independent with solar and lithium so when retrofit options arrive it'll be hard not to look 

(edited)
21 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Only trouble I see in the future is who owns most of the mines needed for the batteries.  Anyone care to take a guess?

The new boogeyman of course. The evil China. But of course they actually don't, you have just been trained to think they do.

Edited by gowlerk