Briharp9

Need a pilot with jump plane in WY this weekend

yoink

Unless he's REALLY experienced with a ton of demo jumps this is a exceptionally bad idea.

Congrats on your wedding! You don't need to make it more special.

This.

The words "skydive, and wedding" when not on a DZ have historically been kindling for spectacular events. Note that spectacular is NOT synonymous with good.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

so then the wedding is this weekend and here, 3 days before...... you're trying to line up a plane and pilot....

just keep it sensible ( imho ) and pass, on the heroics...
For SURE, i would NOT consider just some old ANYBODY.... with a plane.

It's NOT that simple. You need an EXPERIENCED jump pilot... NOT someone who "will try to OPEN the door AND try to keep the plane level and ON heading " while your guy struggles to get OUT the door, and likely BLOWS the spot, while doing so..
Just HOW well versed in our Sport IS your fiance'??

I'd say. concentrate on the wedding,, and not some showboat skydive...
jus' sayin' ...:|
jmy

Just to emphasize - I'm assuming your fiancee isn't massively experienced at demos - if he is, then he can make his own decisions.

Do you know one of the recurring root causes of serious injuries were at my last DZ?...
It was when a young guy would show up with his girlfriend for the first time - it shouldn't change anything, but it does. The jumper tries just that little bit harder to swoop the beer line, or concentrates on whether he's being watched on final rather than looking what he's doing and then, BLAM! Ambulance time...
Now imagine that pressure multiplied by dozens of people watching, on your wedding day.

This isn't us being curmudgeonly. We're trying to make sure you and your fiancee have a great day. Speaking as someone who just got married, I can tell you that my head wasn't in its usual place on that day... Personally, I wouldn't have been making good decisions.

He's not going to impress anyone by jumping into his wedding who doesn't already know and I'm sure you've got other things to plan rather than trying to improvise a demo.

Actually this is not exactly a last minute thing. I found a pilot a year ago and cleared it with the tower and landing location, which is a golf course by the way, with a landing area as big as our drop zone! He is essentially just doing a hop n pop and a basic pattern and landing. We don't swoop. We do have 170 jumps and a B license. And two days ago when we practiced hop n pops at the dz he was landing within 10 feet of his target. When our first pilot flaked out a month ago, we contacted the DZ in Jackson and they were up for doing the jump. Then 3 weeks ago the owner warned us that he might not have his plane available. That is why we are scrambling last minute to find a replacement pilot and plane. And why my post requests a pilot WITH a jump plane, since we know the door is an issue.
Luckily it sounds like our pilot (who runs the DZ in Jackson) is going to be able to come through. Thanks for the warnings, but we got this!

This will be considered a 'bandit jump' if all you have is 170 jumps and a 'B' license. From the SIM Section 7-1-C

Experience and ability
1. Open Field and Level 1, as defined by USPA and
accepted by the FAA (all of the following):
a. USPA C license or higher
b. minimum 200 jumps
c. 50 jumps within the past 12 months
d. five jumps within the previous 60 days using the
same model and size canopy to be used on the
demonstration jump
e. For tandem jumps, the above requirements do not
apply to the tandem student

Hope it all works out for you, but people with experience who know what they are talking about have indicated this is a bad idea.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

And why my post requests a pilot WITH a jump plane, since we know the door is an issue.

Not necessarily. If you find a Cessna pilot willing to fly, several are STC-ed for flight with door removed.

Info on STCs can be found here:

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I say Fing go for it. 170 jumps into a place as big as their DZ.
Some times you just got to have a little fun and take that chance. There was a time when USPA had nothing to do with Demo's or personal jumps into back yards and open fields.. Shit i had 50 jumps for my first party jump and made the local magazine... BANDIT JUMP BANDIT JUMP BANDIT JUMP Hell yeah...:oB|

Uncle/GrandPapa Whit
Unico Rodriguez # 245
Muff Brother # 2421

what the heck, 170 jumps, he is an expert

the problem with this is if he was lucky enough to not screw it up it just gives the next person "evidence" of how safe it is, and the chain goes on, eventually someone gets smashed

if he did the jump and didn't get hurt then he can now start feeling bad about the person that he assisted in getting smashed

oh and you can join him in that, just sayin'

ignoring the BSRs encourages the FAA to become closer friends with us, not good
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.