Yossarian

reserve PC

when i was going through raps and used a rig with a spring loaded PC i used to get awful hesitation, the video of my half-series shows it lasting a full 4 seconds (and yes i was wriggling and moving my shoulders around considerably to get rid of it, even felt it smacking my helmet), what i was wondering was that as reserves are spring loaded PC extracted, can they suffer from the same problem? ive never heard anything about this before so there must be an answer ive just never heard it

Take it easy. Cool down. AFAK reserve PC has a way longer bride, so it won't hasitate in your burble. I have 5 rides so far. I can tell you that nothing to worry about if you lunch your reserve(PC) into clean air.

Are you sure about that? I've never had a reserve ride but I have heard of an instance of hesitation with a reserve.

To the OP, just turn your head, it will clear the burble.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Are you sure about that? I've never had a reserve ride but I have heard of an instance of hesitation with a reserve.

If you have so much doubt about your gear why don't you play golf instead?

Gee, another one of your constructive comments. Have you never heard of things going wrong with reserves? That is not the same as "doubting gear", or categorically stating things that might not be fact. Wasn't it you that incorrectly said the PD dual square report said to fly on risers? [/end of rant]
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

how come its the bridle that makes a difference,

The reserve bridle is much wider than a main bridle so it catches more air, and some brands have little pockets on them to catch air too. Also the length of the bridle may be longer than what's used on a ripcord main, depending on the specific gear.

That said, the best position for a reserve pilot chute launch is NOT the usual stable belly to earth, but slightly head-up, like you usually are straight after a cutaway, so if you have an RSL/skyhook or are really quick you won't have the time to go belly to earth and you can have a better launch.

I'm no rigger, but this is what was explained to me, and after 7 reserve rides I tend to believe it ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

1) the bridle is longer and wider; this lets the PC launch farther away from your burble, and helps it catch air.

2) generally reserves are deployed head-high (the Racer manual actually recommends this) and thus the problem isn't seen as often.

3) The reserve PC generally fires more "forward" than "up" due to the shape of the rig.

Reserve PC's can and do hesitate. Most have stronger springs than main PC's, just to make us riggers work harder.;) The long and wide bridles may or may not help with PC hesitation. They do let the PC launch farther if so inclined. But, they're designed to launch the bag in the case of a horse shoe. Their ability to do this is marginal at best, hence the addition of assist pockets and the Fliteline Catapult. I was once told by someone with a long beard that the wide bridle actually made things worse. The PC would jump, the wind curling around the jumper would hit the wide bridle from the side and pull the PC back down if it hadn't inflated. (The room promtly told him to fold and sew the first 6-8 feet to 1":P Hasn't taken our advice.;)) RWS's no mesh reserve PC is designed to inflate through the spring and there for inflate in more attitudes than meshed PC's. Think of a beach ball without air. You can push in any side and make it look like a round parachute. Maybe, maybe not.:P But reserve systems are tested, including cutaway tests that require opening in specifiec time/altitude. This doesn't mean your reserve won't hesitate. YMMV

But, is that going to keep you from opening it?:o I hope not. They usually work, sometimes they don't. Hesitations are something you should be ready to deal with. But with well maintained and packed modern gear they are probably pretty rare. With a round reserve (app. 40" bridle) and a MA-1 military surplus PC from the old days much more likely. Of course then the PC just kind of stood up and fell off the side.B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have a bunch of jumps and I jump mal prone canopies. I have 7 and everyone came because of me letting my stuff get out of trim or switching from one rig to another without checking. 1 every 70, Wow.

I only make a point of this (I wouldn't have) because you blasted the guy for asking a reasonable question. I am all about blasting people for some things but not just trying to learn stuff that he should be learning at this stage in his skydiving life. Givem a break. Good question.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

A reserve pilot chute spring is generally stiffer. The pilot chute is also not used as frequently, so it will not wear out like that on a student main.

Doesn't a rigger check the condition of the pilot chute as part of the regular repack ? Most repacks my rigger lets me put on my rig and pull the ripcord right there in the loft, so I get some practice and he gets a look at how the p/c launches. But he's not just packing a canopy, he's packing the whole system. I would think a rigger would speak up about a marginal pilot chute, or perhaps even refuse to pack the reserve if the p/c was really limp or shabby.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

You are right Tom. I was implying that the spring loaded main pilot chutes are more subject to wear and tear. As they age, they loose performance.

On the other hand, the reserve PC is NOT subject to the same wear and tear. And, as you state, it's maintained by your rigger.

That's not to say that it may not hesitate. At terminal in a good arch, I've felt that ever so slight hesitation, and it felt like minutes! That'll make you clear that burble in a hurry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

he's packing the whole system.

Tom,

He/she is not just "packing the whole system" but inspecting and certifying as airworthy the “approved parachute assembly” and its components.

2.1.1 GENERAL: For purposes of this document a parachute assembly normally, but not
exclusively, consists of the following major components:

a. Deployment initiation device (pilot chute, drogue, or functional equivalent); bridle, if applicable b. Deployment control device (sleeve, bag, diaper, or functional equivalent), if used
c. Canopy(s) (includes suspension lines, connector links if used, and reefing device, if used)
d. Riser(s), if used, when not integral with harness and/or canopy
e. Stowage container
f. Harness(es)
g. Primary actuation device (ripcord or functional equivalent, including reserve static line, if used)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have a bunch of jumps and I jump mal prone canopies. I have 7 and everyone came because of me letting my stuff get out of trim or switching from one rig to another without checking. 1 every 70, Wow.

I only make a point of this (I wouldn't have) because you blasted the guy for asking a reasonable question. I am all about blasting people for some things but not just trying to learn stuff that he should be learning at this stage in his skydiving life. Givem a break. Good question.

L.O. you may have mis read, spoons was not blasting the original poster, he was aksing pheonix why he has had so many cutaways.
Pheonix on the other hand was being rude to the OP.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

how come its the bridle that makes a difference, wouldnt it be the strength of the spring and hence its ability to fire itself out of any burble?

If the bridle is too short (i.e. shorter than your burble) the PC will never get out of the burble and bounce back onto your back. If this is the case a longer bridle can fix this issue, provided the spring has enough strenght to launch it far enough.
Ciao.

Vale

I was implying that the spring loaded main pilot chutes are more subject to wear and tear. As they age, they loose performance.

On the other hand, the reserve PC is NOT subject to the same wear and tear. And, as you state, it's maintained by your rigger.

That's not to say that it may not hesitate. At terminal in a good arch, I've felt that ever so slight hesitation, and it felt like minutes! That'll make you clear that burble in a hurry.

Bonnie, how true, they can hesitate and do all kinds of naughty things. On my first cutaway, the pilot chute bounced off my foot, and that was on a round reserve, so the p/c was attached. I thought I could feel my hair turning white for one very long moment!

Also, Sparky thanks. Your answer provides a much more precise definition and more complete information (as always). I was less precise but intended to convey the same concept, more or less, but not as well as you.

And to both of you, my remarks were only made in the interest of trying to help answer this guy's understandable question. (Rest assured fella, it's something on ALL of our minds.)

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !