3 3
brenthutch

Dude, where are my hurricanes?

37 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Be fair - he might read conclusions.

He rarely reads more than the title, so clearly reading takes huge effort for him. He interprets articles as supporting his point when they're the complete opposite. "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength" - to him it's an instruction manual, not a cautionary tale.

15 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Play the topic, not the person. Your one warning.

Wendy P.

Without your citing the post to which you're responding I can only guess as to its content.  Having said that, given that a very large amount of the interaction here is one variation of ad hominem or another, where do you draw the line?

15 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

No, it drains and evaporates without killing lots of folks.

4 hours ago, olofscience said:

translation: Brent couldn't read the paper. Didn't make it past the title.

edit: and also: as a consequence of the above - he doesn't have any idea whether they're conclusive or not.

Nah, just classic trolling at work. With success.

14 minutes ago, winsor said:

Without your citing the post to which you're responding I can only guess as to its content.  Having said that, given that a very large amount of the interaction here is one variation of ad hominem or another, where do you draw the line?

In this case it's drawn at natural variation, of course.

4 hours ago, brenthutch said:

As I thought, nothing conclusive.

That isn't what you thought, or at least not what you questioned. Let me repeat it for you, if scrolling back up is too hard for you:

"are you still getting your “science” from left wing media?"

Which really brings us back to a frequently posed question, all the best people are asking it: can you state your name without fucking it up?

47 minutes ago, winsor said:

It's not entirely clear which rules and guidelines are still in play. Trolling is clearly not prohibited any more, although I had noticed the most recent overt troll seems to have disappeared in the last few days, so maybe there are SOME limits.

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

No, it drains and evaporates without killing lots of folks.

Meanwhile, here in reality:

At least 43 are dead after Ida causes flooding in four states

At least 43 people were killed, many of them in basement apartments, in a storm caused by the remnants of a hurricane that struck New Orleans days earlier.

The deluge of rain on Wednesday — more than half a foot fell in just a few hours — turned streets and subway platforms into rivers. Emergency responders in boats rescued people from the rooftops of cars. Hundreds of people were evacuated from trains and subways. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/09/02/nyregion/nyc-storm#ida-new-york-flood

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Play the topic, not the person.

I'm actually interested in hearing his justification for his conclusion, mainly:

• what his criticism of the papers were (methodology, equipment, sample size, etc?)
  • what his criteria for "conclusive" was (p<0.05?)

But I expect he won't be saying anything, for obvious reasons.

As for the discussion I wasn't attacking him, I was just backing up my hypothesis (that he didn't read it) with evidence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, billvon said:

Meanwhile, here in reality:

At least 43 are dead after Ida causes flooding in four states

At least 43 people were killed, many of them in basement apartments, in a storm caused by the remnants of a hurricane that struck New Orleans days earlier.

The deluge of rain on Wednesday — more than half a foot fell in just a few hours — turned streets and subway platforms into rivers. Emergency responders in boats rescued people from the rooftops of cars. Hundreds of people were evacuated from trains and subways. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/09/02/nyregion/nyc-storm#ida-new-york-flood

Speaking of reality:

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 7.45.22 PM.png

(edited)
9 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

image.jpeg.269e74ff9566bfe466e0db6cd006f84a.jpeg

Hubble vs Webb. Reality is quite informative when viewed in lower wavelengths.

Yep. I've been tripping on the different pics tonight. Not to party stomp but it makes me think how impossibly short lived our silly civilization will likely be and, in deference to my betters, how akin our existence is to a Rorschach Blot.

Edited by JoeWeber

51 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Yep. I've been tripping on the different pics tonight. Not to party stomp but it makes me think how impossibly short lived our silly civilization will likely be and, in deference to my betters, how akin our existence is to a Rorschach Blot.

Understandable sentiment when looking at “baby” stars that are maybe five times as old as homosapiens. At least in our corner of the ‘verse we can know we made a difference. We’ll have created quite a layer of cow & chicken fossils to mark the anthropocene.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Slim King said:

L@@K.. Shiny objects in space!!!!! Meanwhile back on planet earth I see no Hurricanes on the horizon. This is a couple of weeks old but I love this guy's logic and factual presentation. Wish I could have posted earlier.

https://rumble.com/v1mwzl1-chances-of-being-hit-by-a-major-hurricane.html

Things not learned by Slim during his vacation:

- How to spell the word 'Look'
    - That rumble.com is a far-right clickbait site that nobody with critical thinking skills will ever take seriously 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Slim King said:

You do make an old man smile Lippy .... I love spelling L@@K like that .. I  have for decades. You can always get Tony Heller's video's on realclimatescience.com

He's been there for 14 years with his little dog Toto. Pulling back the curtain on junk science....

6-pier_Patti-Morrow_luggageandlipstick.com_154140.jpeg

Well, at least we agree that realclimatescience.com is the place to go for the latest in junk science...

41 minutes ago, Slim King said:

You do make an old man smile Lippy .... I love spelling L@@K like that .. I  have for decades. You can always get Tony Heller's video's on realclimatescience.com

Quoting a science denial site to try to argue against the science of climate change is like quoting Osama bin Laden to argue against terrorism.