6 6
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

Representative Michelle Steel recently tweeted this: "As someone who struggled to get pregnant, I believe all life is a gift. IVF allowed me, as it has so many others, to start my family. I believe there is nothing more pro-life than helping families have children, and I do not support federal restrictions on IVF."

Steel also sponsored the "Life at Conception" Act, which would "grant equal protection" to "each and every member of the species homo sapiens at all stages of life, including the moment of fertilization" - thus effectively banning IVF.

But she's already had HER kids, so why not ban it for everyone else?

14 minutes ago, billvon said:

...Steel also sponsored the "Life at Conception" Act, which would "grant equal protection" to "each and every member of the species homo sapiens at all stages of life, including the moment of fertilization" - thus effectively banning IVF...

I want to know exactly what rights these 'protections to each and every member' would entail.

Tax deductions?
How about people who have multiple embryos in frozen storage?
Can they take deductions for each and every one?

How about child support?
Can the presumptive father be held financially responsible for pre-natal care?

How about citizenship?
Because anyone born in the country is a citizen, would this mean anyone conceived in the country be one too?

I'm sure there are a lot of other things that the alt-right would lose their shit over. 
This is just what I can think of off the top of my head.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I want to know exactly what rights these 'protections to each and every member' would entail.

I think you know the answer to that.

They will only receive protections that will 1) take away women's freedoms, 2) not burden men with any additional responsibilities, 3) not cost the government any money and 4) not give immigrants any additional ways to gain citizenship.

Keep in mind that when a prison guard in Texas lost her child due to Texas prison officials not allowing her to go to a hospital, Texas lawyers argued that she could not sue for wrongful death because a fetus is not a child.  You can bet everything you own that if she had gotten an abortion herself, she'd be in jail now.

• Like 1

Another loss for the GOP fuelled by abortion rights issues - this time in Alabama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2024/03/26/democrats-republicans-abortion-ivf-alabama-election/

Democrat Marilyn Lands on Tuesday decisively won an Alabama state House seat in a long-held Republican district, notching a special-election victory after centering her campaign on promoting access to abortion and in vitro fertilization.

"So much winning"

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kallend said:

Meanwhile in Arizona, the clock was turned back to 1873 when  women were still chattels.

Rolling back the clock to a time when women couldn't vote is probably not a good plan. 

(edited)
16 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Rolling back the clock to a time when women couldn't vote is probably not a good plan. 

What a very nice way of explaining what voting republican in state and local elections can do. Oh, wait, that doesn't result in any harm down stream at all.

But.... we have tax cuts for bazillionairs, open carry, closed carry, and the soon to come forced carry, rule by a minority, a coming autocracy, etc., etc., etc.

Edited by JoeWeber

7 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Last night's letter from Heather Cox Richardson goes into the history of the AZ law, and it is incredible:

Heather Cox Richardson - Letters from an American - April 9, 2024

Kari Lake has jumped onto the bandwagon of outrage by demanding the Dem Governor do something immediately to bring back common sense. She said that a woman and a mother she understood this issue better than any of her opponents for Senate. Which is odd, because two years ago when Lake was running for governor she said she was “thrilled” to think that the “great law” which was already on the books could be reinstated by the court and act as an example for other states to follow! 

It’s almost funny how every dirty trick the Senate Republicans pulled to get their ultra-right wing court was justified as serving ‘the will of the people’, when the end result has been something the huge majority of people in every state really fucking hate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jakee said:

Kari Lake has jumped onto the bandwagon of outrage by demanding the Dem Governor do something immediately to bring back common sense. She said that a woman and a mother she understood this issue better than any of her opponents for Senate. Which is odd, because two years ago when Lake was running for governor she said she was “thrilled” to think that the “great law” which was already on the books could be reinstated by the court and act as an example for other states to follow! 

It’s almost funny how every dirty trick the Senate Republicans pulled to get their ultra-right wing court was justified as serving ‘the will of the people’, when the end result has been something the huge majority of people in every state really fucking hate.

Kari Lake has learned well from Trump The Art of the Goebbels.

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."  Generally attributed to JG (without a documented primary source).

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

What a very nice way of explaining what voting republican in state and local elections can do. Oh, wait,

I get it, Joe. You want me to vote Dem. Beating that drum in every response isn't really necessary. 

7 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I get it, Joe. You want me to vote Dem. Beating that drum in every response isn't really necessary. 

It's not? Then maybe you ought not to comment on the negative results that come from voting R in State and Local elections. That's just red meat, you know. In all fairness, aren't you of the mind that erring too far in the direction of no abortions is better than erring too far in the direction of allowing women to have 100% control over the choice?

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Other laws in that body of law that was passed at the same time:

"No black or mulatto, or Indian, Mongolian, or Asiatic, shall be permitted to testify against any white person.”
"All marriages between a white person and a [Black person] shall…be absolutely void.”
It also defined the age of consent for sexual intercourse to be ten.

Sounds like a victory for the anti-woke.

(edited)
5 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Well, if the message hasn’t worked yet… 

Look, if you can pull your head out of whatever fringe right wing anti-Biden rabbit hole it’s got stuck in you’d see that voting Dem will actually help the Republican Party in the long run. 

If you want any chance of a sensible right leaning government in the near to medium term future then you should want to contribute to a complete repudiation of Trumpism and MAGA. Vote for Biden, because there’s really nothing wrong with him and it’ll increase the humiliating losing margin for Trump. Persuade your friends to do the same. Vote for the Dem against any MAGA candidate on the ticket. Vote against anyone who says the 2020 election is as stolen AND any of the spineless dickheads who say there were ‘irregularities’. Write to the RNC and you state Republican organisations to tell them why you’re voting against their anti-democracy candidates. 

Maybe then you’ll have a chance at one day being able to vote for a candidate who isn’t a Dem but also doesn’t retweet everything that spews out of Marjorie Taylor Green.

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, billvon said:

"No black or mulatto, or Indian, Mongolian, or Asiatic, shall be permitted to testify against any white person.”
"All marriages between a white person and a [Black person] shall…be absolutely void.”

Staunch Conservatives generally don't want progress, so I am not surprised that even back then they supported this.

• Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, billvon said:

Seeing as how, according to Wiki, these were the Arizona Territories in 1864 does that mean that Phoenix is out and Flagstaff is in? 

Arizona Territories, 1864.png

Edited by JoeWeber

3 hours ago, jakee said:

Well, if the message hasn’t worked yet… 

Look, if you can pull your head out of whatever fringe right wing anti-Biden rabbit hole it’s got stuck in you’d see that voting Dem will actually help the Republican Party in the long run. 

If you want any chance of a sensible right leaning government in the near to medium term future then you should want to contribute to a complete repudiation of Trumpism and MAGA. Vote for Biden, because there’s really nothing wrong with him and it’ll increase the humiliating losing margin for Trump. Persuade your friends to do the same. Vote for the Dem against any MAGA candidate on the ticket. Vote against anyone who says the 2020 election is as stolen AND any of the spineless dickheads who say there were ‘irregularities’. Write to the RNC and you state Republican organisations to tell them why you’re voting against their anti-democracy candidates. 

Maybe then you’ll have a chance at one day being able to vote for a confidante who isn’t a Dem but also doesn’t retweet everything that spews out of Marjorie Taylor Green.

Or vote for the Former President. Rapist. Convicted fraud. Treasonous insurrectionist. Twice impeached. Cheat. Liar. Charity thief. Soon to be convicted felon.