2 2
billvon

White privilege example for this week

50 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Lots of licensed real estate agents around who hold a license, but do not derive their income directly from it. I hold my license and report absolutely zero income through the sale of real estate. I know at least 50 people who are in the same category. Bet you California isn't much different.

I never reported a penny of income from mine, either.

53 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

You know the journal that posted that research had to post a correction when other Harvard researchers were unable to recreate the data right? That is when it came out the original researchers used an undisclosed and invalidated method of measuring propensity in men and women.

And it has been corroborated in other studies and continues to be a hot-button issue as it runs counter to the left wing narrative.  

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Lots of licensed real estate agents around who hold a license, but do not derive their income directly from it. I hold my license and report absolutely zero income through the sale of real estate. I know at least 50 people who are in the same category. Bet you California isn't much different.

Agreed...so I'm failing to see the WP here.

On 2/4/2021 at 3:12 PM, billvon said:

Agreed with all the above.

I wouldn't even call it racism at its core - I'd call it homophily.  We are most comfortable with people like us.  If they are foreigners that manifests as xenophobia; if they are a different race we call it racism.  It takes conscious effort to overcome this.  There are a great many people who exhibit this sort of homophily (as almost all people do) but deny it, for reasons you mention above.  These are the unconscious racists, the people who make decisions based on how they feel about people, unaware that much of those feelings come from that base of homophily.   Awareness of this is essential if anyone is to overcome that bias.

Simplicity, the CORE of what it means to be a human. Getting to the ROOT of the problem(s).  

'A U.S. judge has approved a Texas woman's request to go on vacation in Mexico, despite her admission that she took part in last month's insurrection at the U.S. Capitol. Jenny Cudd is accused of breaking federal laws that could result in a prison sentence. But she told the court that she wanted to travel, because she had already paid for the weekend retreat."

"Virginia Transportation Department employee Douglas Story was an Aryan Nation member who wrote that he wanted to see President Barack Obama shot in the head, court records say. Ultimately, Story was sentenced to 12 months in jail after pleading guilty in 2012 to obtaining an illegal machine gun....

Washington transit police officer Nicholas Young was also a white supremacist, but he became enamored of the Islamic State terror group, praising their brutal tactics, according to court records. After a six-year investigation involving extensive surveillance and multiple informants, Young was convicted in 2019 of buying $245 in phone cards intended to help ISIS....He got 15 years."

(edited)
2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

that took all of a minute for me to debunk this idiot.  at 1.20, i figured out that he is talking about collective guilt, and he is correct when he says THAT is wrong, but that was a clever tactic since that IS NOT white privilege.  white privilege exists, and is not saying that you are responsible for anything because you're white, it is saying white privilege is the thing that is inherent in the system that you benefit from by being white.  maybe if you were able to understand that, you would begin to see that you are a racist (passive as i explained previously.  lots of people are unknowingly like i was)  and take active steps to help others who are in your situation fix themselves, like i did over 20 years ago.  when enough of us do it, it will disappear, or at least be relegated far enough into the fringes that it won't be systemic any longer.  good luck.

Edited by sfzombie13
clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

that took all of a minute for me to debunk this idiot.  at 1.20, i figured out that he is talking about collective guilt, and he is correct when he says THAT is wrong, but that was a clever tactic since that IS NOT white privilege.  white privilege exists, and is not saying that you are responsible for anything because you're white, it is saying white privilege is the thing that is inherent in the system that you benefit from by being white.  maybe if you were able to understand that, you would begin to see that you are a racist (passive as i explained previously.  lots of people are unknowingly like i was)  and take active steps to help others who are in your situation fix themselves, like i did over 20 years ago.  when enough of us do it, it will disappear, or at least be relegated far enough into the fringes that it won't be systemic any longer.  good luck.

You obviously didn’t watch the rest of the video where the black guy debunks WP as well.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You obviously didn’t watch the rest of the video where the black guy debunks WP as well.

if he said anything similar to what the other idiot said, it was the same non-argument.  i forgot what that was, not a strawman, but something.  anyway, yes, i will go look at the rest of it.  i should at least give it a shot.

oh yeah, that black guy is whacked out.  his argument, "it's been my experience" is the only thing he has.  i wonder how much they pay him to sell out.  i am glad as hell that he hasn't faced any of the shit others have.  that is what i want for everyone.  thing is, just because he, or you, haven't seen it does not mean it does not happen or is not a huge problem. 

Edited by sfzombie13
watched the video. wow.

1 hour ago, sfzombie13 said:

if he said anything similar to what the other idiot said, it was the same non-argument.  i forgot what that was, not a strawman, but something.  anyway, yes, i will go look at the rest of it.  i should at least give it a shot.

oh yeah, that black guy is whacked out.  his argument, "it's been my experience" is the only thing he has.  i wonder how much they pay him to sell out.  i am glad as hell that he hasn't faced any of the shit others have.  that is what i want for everyone.  thing is, just because he, or you, haven't seen it does not mean it does not happen or is not a huge problem. 

It’s like climate change.  It’s everywhere, it’s devastating but it is also invisible.

Always fascinating to me that the people who often struggle the most with understanding such a simple concept like privilege, somehow always tend to be straight, white, middle-aged dudes who are at least moderately well off.

Just can't put my finger on why those things match up. A mystery for the ages?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistercwood said:

Always fascinating to me that the people who often struggle the most with understanding such a simple concept like privilege, somehow always tend to be straight, white, middle-aged dudes who are at least moderately well off.

Just can't put my finger on why those things match up. A mystery for the ages?

Not a mystery at all. Often as not they are folks who cleave unto structure in their lives. Many find that in the military or even high school sports. They love community. That is to say the street they live on with like minded and like looking folks. Backyard BBQ's and kids all playing together reinforce what seems right. Lot's of back patting and got your backing double enforced by a generation or two and voila! It's a tough nut to crack, no doubt.

22 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

And who really honestly believe that back in the 1950's there was a lot less racism because people weren't talking about it all the time.

(edited)

I am not denying privilege, it exists.  There is the privilege of education, there is the privilege bestowed by hard work, there is the privilege of deferred gratification (look up marshmallow test) there is the privilege of culture, there is the privilege of class, (Obama’s children will have opportunities my kids will never have), there is the privilege of genetics (ask Gronk and Aaron Donald) there is the privilege of geography, but to say that a Winter Hill gang member has it better than IceT is just pure nonsense.

Edited by brenthutch

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

but to say that a Winter Hill gang member has it better than IceT is just pure nonsense

Very good thing no-one is saying that then. Spend more time understanding what privilege is, and less on the imaginary boogeyman people make up about it so they can rail against it.

(edited)
7 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

Very good thing no-one is saying that then. Spend more time understanding what privilege is, and less on the imaginary boogeyman people make up about it so they can rail against it.

I fully acknowledged “privilege”, it just has nothing to do with a lack of melanin.

Edited by brenthutch

Oh dear...  Can't believe I am posting this...

American legislation in particular was designed by white men who owned property.  They actively denied the vote to anyone else and this is a tradition that continues today.  And nevermind suppressing the vote... 

It should come as no surprise that rules favour the rule-makers.  Always.  If all your rule-makers have historically been white men who owned property, you can't then turn around and say "but that doesn't exist anymore."  It sure as hell does.

Look...  Those slaves who were "set free."  Did they get back pay for allllll those years where they worked without pay for the white man???  Did they get dividends from their direct contribution to their owners' increase in wealth???  Setting people free and not paying them for their work or their contribution, not allowing them to vote, not allowing them to own property, et cetera, et cetera...  Well, what kind of "freedom" is that, really?? 

That's like taking a bird from it's tree, ripping off it's wings, and throwing it off from your balcony and saying: there you go, now go fly with the other birds!  And then claiming those wingless birds have the same opportunities as the other birds is just plain crazy.  And the descendants of wingless birds who never had anyone to teach them to fly are STILL operating with a handicap.  Et cetera, et cetera.

Change - significant, real, long-lasting change - takes a verrrrrrrry long time.  Racism exists.  White Privilege exists.  Sexism exists.  Saying otherwise is either stupid as fuck, or extremely disingenuous.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Dude, you are becoming a caricature.

It just makes me sad to see MLK Jr’s dream undermined by a bunch of “woke” white folks.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Nataly said:

Oh dear...  Can't believe I am posting this...

American legislation in particular was designed by white men who owned property.  They actively denied the vote to anyone else and this is a tradition that continues today.  And nevermind suppressing the vote... 

It should come as no surprise that rules favour the rule-makers.  Always.  If all your rule-makers have historically been white men who owned property, you can't then turn around and say "but that doesn't exist anymore."  It sure as hell does.

Look...  Those slaves who were "set free."  Did they get back pay for allllll those years where they worked without pay for the white man???  Did they get dividends from their direct contribution to their owners' increase in wealth???  Setting people free and not paying them for their work or their contribution, not allowing them to vote, not allowing them to own property, et cetera, et cetera...  Well, what kind of "freedom" is that, really?? 

That's like taking a bird from it's tree, ripping off it's wings, and throwing it off from your balcony and saying: there you go, now go fly with the other birds!  And then claiming those wingless birds have the same opportunities as the other birds is just plain crazy.  And the descendants of wingless birds who never had anyone to teach them to fly are STILL operating with a handicap.  Et cetera, et cetera.

Change - significant, real, long-lasting change - takes a verrrrrrrry long time.  Racism exists.  White Privilege exists.  Sexism exists.  Saying otherwise is either stupid as fuck, or extremely disingenuous.

The reason real, long-lasting change takes a verrrrrrrry long time is because when folks claim victim status and blame their lot in life on others instead of taking responsibility for their own actions/inactions, change is slow to come.

Someone needs to tell my old platoon sergeant about white privilege and someone needs to let my wife know about the patriarchy because, clearly, they never got the message.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

I am not denying privilege, it exists.  There is the privilege of education, there is the privilege bestowed by hard work, there is the privilege of deferred gratification (look up marshmallow test) there is the privilege of culture, there is the privilege of class, (Obama’s children will have opportunities my kids will never have), there is the privilege of genetics (ask Gronk and Aaron Donald) there is the privilege of geography, but to say that a Winter Hill gang member has it better than IceT is just pure nonsense.

There is the privilege of statistics. A group that has 10% less access due to prejudice will suffer. The top ones, and the lucky ones, won’t particularly. But the rest will be just that much less “lucky” than the rest of the society. 
It’s always possible to find a reason; the thing is, those with superior access have some of their reasons understood, because nobody’s perfect. Those without “should have known better.”
Wendy P. 

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

There is the privilege of statistics. A group that has 10% less access due to prejudice will suffer. The top ones, and the lucky ones, won’t particularly. But the rest will be just that much less “lucky” than the rest of the society. 
It’s always possible to find a reason; the thing is, those with superior access have some of their reasons understood, because nobody’s perfect. Those without “should have known better.”
Wendy P. 

I agree, the Jussie Smollett incident is a perfect example.  A person commits a horrible fraud, impugning a group of less privileged individuals and walks away scot free because of his privilege.