2 2
billvon

White privilege example for this week

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

No but you sure put a hurting on logic:rofl:

There ARE traits that predict success, they include but are not limited to: self reliance, competitiveness, work ethic (I left out the Protestant part), objective rational thinking, high valuation of success and wealth, adherence to time schedules, delayed gratification and the nuclear family.  

Notice I did not mention skin tone.

PS: it's so devastating that you've managed to cram so much nonsense into fewer than 60 words.  I am in awe.

Edited by Nataly

3 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

The statements you are making are no different than the standard: I have a black friend.

Do better.

"I have a black friend" - I don't have black friends. We call each other, "Brother." 

"Do Better"  You and Jakee are the two that most have deteriorated this forum over the years with your arrogance. You don't read what people wrote, you attack and then pivot. The both of you need professional help. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

You don't read what people wrote,

Below is quote what you said, please feel free to explain how this isn't supposed to imply you feel white privilege doesn't exist in the armed forces.

"I'm not denying that there is a form of cultural bias in the civilian world, but you and I come from a world where everyone is green and our frame of reference is skewed from those who have not served, and we had to rely on many ethnicities as part of our team and all were held to the same standard." 

There is an abundance of evidence, some of it presented here in links that clearly not everyone is green in the armed forces. You as (I presume) a white guy may have thought so. Would seem there are quite a few non-white fellow service members who disagree with you. If you want to discard all of that, fine, but in my experience that isn't what "brothers" do to each other.

There is no doubt that POC are underrepresented in leadership positions in the armed forces. If it isn't due to white privilege, why do you think that is?

And if you think only the military has teams with multiple ethnicities, you are mistaken. I have spent my adult life working in Toronto and last few years in Vancouver. Toronto is pretty widely regarded as the most multi-ethnic city in the world. Vancouver's Caucasian population is smaller than those of visible minorities combined. I have never worked in a homogeneous team.

Edited by SkyDekker

26 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I have spent my adult life working in Toronto and last few years in Vancouver. Toronto is pretty widely regarded as the most multi-ethnic city in the world. Vancouver's Caucasian population is smaller than those of visible minorities combined.

You've spent your life in Canada and that's your multicultural credential? Maybe I should have never left East San Jose, hell, I could have been Mexican by now.

8 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

You've spent your life in Canada and that's your multicultural credential?

No, I have not spent my life in Canada. Though my life before Canada was pretty homogeneous and white.

And if you think Mexican is multi-cultural, I would suggest you look up what "multi" means.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

No, I have not spent my life in Canada. Though my life before Canada was pretty homogeneous and white.

And if you think Mexican is multi-cultural, I would suggest you look up what "multi" means.

This is a typical of you: a knee jerk defensive reaction without a ton of thought and a demand that your correspondent go do some homework. You know damn well that I don't think "Mexican is multi-cultural". Your technique is getting old.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

This is a typical of you: a knee jerk defensive reaction without a ton of thought and a demand that your correspondent go do some homework. You know damn well that I don't think "Mexican is multi-cultural". Your technique is getting old.

I don't know what you think, I can only go by what you typed.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

That looks an awful lot like a knee jerk defensive reaction without a ton of thought.

Not at all. A bot goes only by what is typed, thought is beyond their ken. And obviously, for those tuned to the obvious, I never wrote that I thought that "Mexican is multicultural". Hence, you seem much like a bot.

8 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Not at all. A bot goes only by what is typed, thought is beyond their ken. And obviously, for those tuned to the obvious, I never wrote that I thought that "Mexican is multicultural". Hence, you seem much like a bot.

East San Jose is approx. 90% Hispanic or Asian. Not very close to multicultural and spending a lot of time there would certainly not expose you to a multicultural environment. So, no, not very obvious you understand what multicultural is.

25 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

East San Jose is approx. 90% Hispanic or Asian. Not very close to multicultural and spending a lot of time there would certainly not expose you to a multicultural environment. So, no, not very obvious you understand what multicultural is.

You are simply a silly fellow. I lived there, yo. Guess which years and match them up to your googling skills. You are flailing. Give yourself a break. This is SC, walk away for ten minutes and show up somewhere else with your same schtick. The crowd will love you.

42 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Let me help

multi-
/ˈməltē/

combining form

1. more than one;

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Let me help

multi-
/ˈməltē/

combining form

1. more than one;

not surprising you would leave out:

"many, especially variegated."

Plus, multicultural actually has its own definition:

mul·ti·cul·tur·al
/ˌməltēˈkəlCH(ə)rəl,ˌməltīˈkəlCH(ə)rəl/

adjective
adjective: multicultural; adjective: multi-cultural
  1. relating to or constituting several cultural or ethnic groups within a society.
    "multicultural education"

5 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

not surprising you would leave out:

"many, especially variegated."

Plus, multicultural actually has its own definition:

mul·ti·cul·tur·al
/ˌməltēˈkəlCH(ə)rəl,ˌməltīˈkəlCH(ə)rəl/

adjective
adjective: multicultural; adjective: multi-cultural
  1. relating to or constituting several cultural or ethnic groups within a society.
    "multicultural education"

English is not your native tongue so let me help some more 

sev·er·al

/ˈsev(ə)rəl/

Learn to pronounce

determiner · pronoun

more than two but not many.

By your own numbers “90% Asian and Hispanic” that leaves 10% that are not.  Math says three or more cultures. AKA multi cultural.

17 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Feel free to supply your stats to prove me wrong. Here is the data I am going off:

https://statisticalatlas.com/neighborhood/California/San-Jose/East-San-Jose/Race-and-Ethnicity#overview

Poor thing, you continue to conflate as is your natural tendency. Try hard to remind yourself that you wrote multi and I wrote Mexican. Maybe I meant multi-Mexican but who knows. The thing you need to realize is that you are now, as ever, arguing about the argument. jakee does the exact same thing which was BIGUN's original observation. It might be interesting to you but to the outer world it's just boring.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

By your own numbers “90% Asian and Hispanic” that leaves 10% that are not.  Math says three or more cultures. AKA multi cultural.

And if you want to think an area that is dominated by two cultures is a prime example of multiculturalism, go right ahead.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The thing you need to realize is that you are now, as ever, arguing about the argument.

That is only because old white men like you try to maintain white privilege doesn't exist. Or should I say Mexican privilege for somebody as multicultural like you?

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And if you want to think an area that is dominated by two cultures is a prime example of multiculturalism, go right ahead.

In the words of Ronald Reagan: there you go again. Brent didn't claim it was a Prime Example you chose to define it as such and then offered your usual demand.

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

That is only because old white men like you try to maintain white privilege doesn't exist. Or should I say Mexican privilege for somebody as multicultural like you?

You are just demonstrating how vacuous you really are. You have absolutely zero, apparently, awareness about who I am or how I have lived my life. I have profile in skydiving, it would be easy as pie for anyone to pop up and call bullshit on me with my anti-racist, pro LGBTQ, pro women's rights, pro taxation to benefit all and not paying shit wages to people claims. You don't know me. You do not where I've been or how I've lived my life. 

Edited by JoeWeber
Too many where's in where I've been.