5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Ketchup dripping from the walls & ceiling of Mar-a-Lago!

Trump Is Disqualified From the 2024 Ballot, Colorado Supreme Court Rules

Certainly of interest, but I'm waiting to see him disqualified in a state that he could hope to win.

I'm thinking that this will increase Bobert's chances of staying in office.

Edit: well, this applies to the primary, so some hope there (not much, based on who else is running)

Edited by headoverheels

10 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Certainly of interest, but I'm waiting to see him disqualified in a state that he could hope to win.

Now it goes to SCOTUS. Which will almost certainly override it. But if they uphold it Trump will be finished. 

Edited by gowlerk

Trump's star witness, Eli Bartov, recently concluded his testimony.  Bartov said he "had found no evidence of any fraud in the Trump Organization’s accounting practices."  He also described the $250m lawsuit from New York Attorney General Letitia James as “absurd”.

Well, the judge did a little digging.  Turns out Trump had paid him almost $1 million for that testimony.  From Yahoo News, Canada edition:

The judge presiding over Donald Trump’s civil fraud trial tore into the former president’s star witness in a new court filing as he dismissed his latest attempt for a directed verdict in his favour.

In a scathing order issued on Monday, New York County Supreme Court Judge Arthur Engoron blasted testimony from New York University accounting professor Eli Bartov, who “lost all credibility” when he “doggedly” defended apparent misstatements in Mr Trump’s financial documents that are at the heart of the case.

The judge added that his testimony indicates that some people will say anything for “a million or so dollars”.

“Bartov is a tenured professor, but all that his testimony proves is that for a million or so dollars, some experts will say whatever you want them to say,” Judge Engoron wrote.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trump-judge-dismantles-fraud-trial-124514856.html

3 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Rudy Giuliani Files For Bankruptcy

This will not affect the $148M he owes for the lies.

Filing claims debts over $500 million; Assets between $1 and $10 million.

From what I read about his assets, specifically a number of his properties, those assets have fairly recently transferred ownership to other family members. Rudy will not like seeing how the courts claw back his properties. Judge stated yesterday the claimants can start going after his assets immediately.

Welcome to Find Out Rudy.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, billvon said:

Trump's star witness, Eli Bartov, recently concluded his testimony....

One slime-ball attracts other slime-balls

22 minutes ago, normiss said:

From what I read about his assets, specifically a number of his properties, those assets have fairly recently transferred ownership to other family members. Rudy will not like seeing how the courts claw back his properties. Judge stated yesterday the claimants can start going after his assets immediately.

Welcome to Find Out Rudy.

attracts other slime-balls who has other slime-balls as family members.

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Rudy Giuliani Files For Bankruptcy

This will not affect the $148M he owes for the lies.

Filing claims debts over $500 million; Assets between $1 and $10 million.

Hi Robert,

He who lies with dogs get fleas.

Trump will probably say that he never met him, don't know who he is.

Jerry Baumchen

So Trump's legal team is trying to make the argument that the trial CANNOT move quickly because doing so might require lawyers to work over the holidays.  They even (and this is not a joke) called prosecutor Jack Smith "the Grinch" for doing so.

Which inspired me:

You're a mean one, Mr. Smith
You really are a fop!
You keep on asking questions and you don't know when to stop
Mr Smith!
You're a like a determined English bulldog with a . . .
Bone he won't drop!

You're a rotter, Mr. Smith
Your questions sure are vile!
You have the mercy and forgiveness of an angry crocodile
Mr. Smith!
Why, if I had to choose between you and the angry crocodile, I'd choose the . . .
Angry crocodile!

You nauseate me, Mr. Smith
Making deals with a great big snitch!
You're a lawyer but you don't know when to listen to the rich
Mr. Smith!
When I think about our chances with you in court, the three words that come to mind are:
sink, sank, sunk!

You're a monster, Mr. Smith
Your heart's an empty hole!
Your brain is full of legalese, you have lawsuits in your soul
Mr. Smith!
Your notebook is the most appalling pile of legal facts imaginable, all organized into . . 
folders and docs!

• Like 3

They buried the lede in this story about evidence Jack Smith has found regarding Dan Scavino (who has worked for Trump since 2004).

ABC News: Special counsel probe uncovers new details about Trump's inaction on Jan. 6: Sources

After unsuccessfully trying for up to 20 minutes to persuade Trump to release some sort of calming statement, Scavino and others walked out of the dining room, leaving Trump alone, sources said. That's when, according to sources, Trump posted a message on his Twitter account saying that Pence "didn't have the courage to do what should have been done."

Trump's aides told investigators they were shocked by the post. Aside from Trump, Scavino was the only other person with access to Trump's Twitter account, and he was often the one actually posting messages to it, so when the message about Pence popped up, Cipollone and another White House attorney raced to find Scavino, demanding to know why he would post that in the midst of such a precarious situation, sources said.

Scavino said he was as blindsided by the post as they were, insisting to them, "I didn't do it," according to the sources.

Illionis has a standard pledge that all presidential candidates running in their primary can sign.  It's optional.  It states that any candidates "do not directly or indirectly teach or advocate the overthrow of the government of the United States or of this state or any unlawful change in the form of the governments thereof by force or any unlawful means.”

Biden signed it in 2020.  Trump signed it in 2016 and 2020.  He is refusing to sign it for 2024.

Amazing that anyone still supports him.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Illionis has a standard pledge that all presidential candidates running in their primary can sign.  It's optional.  It states that any candidates "do not directly or indirectly teach or advocate the overthrow of the government of the United States or of this state or any unlawful change in the form of the governments thereof by force or any unlawful means.”

Biden signed it in 2020.  Trump signed it in 2016 and 2020.  He is refusing to sign it for 2024.

Amazing that anyone still supports him.

Half of the US population has IQ < 100

9 minutes ago, kallend said:

Half of the US population has IQ < 100

I don't agree with the insinuation that only stupid people support Trump.  I think there are a lot of reasonably smart people who are more concerned about power and inflicting their priorities on the country than they are about democracy or political/legal "norms".  People who see the Handmaid's Tale as aspirational rather than dystopian, such as Michael Johnson.  Or people like Ted Cruz or Steve Bannon, who seem (to me anyway) to seek to take advantage of the chaos Trump creates to enhance their own wealth or power.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I don't agree with the insinuation that only stupid people support Trump.  I think there are a lot of reasonably smart people who are more concerned about power and inflicting their priorities on the country than they are about democracy or political/legal "norms".  People who see the Handmaid's Tale as aspirational rather than dystopian, such as Michael Johnson.  Or people like Ted Cruz or Steve Bannon, who seem (to me anyway) to seek to take advantage of the chaos Trump creates to enhance their own wealth or power.

You're right, of course. You don't end up with a degree from Harvard, Yale or, possibly MIT, if you're a chowder head. And sadly many such people are apparently in the thrall of Trump or pretending they are out of self interest.