5 5
Phil1111

Post trump Legal Actions, Including his Enablers

Hi folks,

IMO polls at this stage of the 2024 elections have little value, I did find this article interesting:  

1. Most Americans believe Trump should stand trial before the 2024 election

2. About half of the country believes Trump is guilty in the pending prosecutions

3. A conviction in DOJ’s 2020 election case would hurt Trump in the general election

4. There is considerable room for the numbers to get worse for Trump

5. Half of the country believes Trump should go to prison if convicted in DOJ’s Jan. 6 case

6. Trump and the GOP’s ‘weaponization’ defense appears to be having limited traction

7. Trump is the prevailing villain in the story of his indictments

Lock Him Up? A New Poll Has Some Bad News for Trump - POLITICO

At this time, I still think that Trump will, again, get the nomination by the RNC.  I also think that he will, again, lose to Joe Biden.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

At this time, I still think that Trump will, again, get the nomination by the RNC.  I also think that he will, again, lose to Joe Biden.

Jerry Baumchen

And then what?  There is no way he and his "base" would just accept that they lost again.  If anything their response will be worse than it was last time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

And then what?  There is no way he and his "base" would just accept that they lost again.  If anything their response will be worse than it was last time.

It’s what I’m scared of, and what they probably hope we’re scared of. Nothing like bullies running the country, eh?

Wendy P. 

At some point the few somewhat sane republicans will make sure he doesn’t run. 

All of them want him gone. They just want to keep his voters.

But they know turnout is nothing if Trump isn’t on the ballot and they lose a lot of seats down ballot.

And if Trump is on the ballot they lose again to Biden.

Rock and a hard place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grimmie said:

At some point the few somewhat sane republicans will make sure he doesn’t run. 

One can but hope. But after the debate (I’ll admit I didn’t watch it — no TV where I am right now, and no desire regardless), I’m not so sure.

Wendy P. 

21 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

One can but hope. But after the debate (I’ll admit I didn’t watch it — no TV where I am right now, and no desire regardless), I’m not so sure.

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

Like you, I only have my thoughts. 

One is that this first debate moved no needles; just an exercise in noise.

I am hoping, that like Rich, the Silent Majority of the GOP will realize that he is a loser on their ticket and keep him off of the ballots.  

It will be interesting to watch the primaries as we go forward.

Jerry Baumchen

4 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I’m not even American and yet I seem to have more faith in your system than many here. It will be fine. Most of the nutters have no guts to do anything anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

What, exactly, would be 'worse'?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious.

After the Jan 6 fiasco, I highly doubt the DC folks would give Trump or his minions a permit for a rally.

If they did, or if it looked like Trump was going to hold one anyway, then I'd bet heavily there would be adequate security at the Capitol.

And for the "base", I think they've at least sort of noticed that well over 1000 people have been indicted for the Jan 6 shit.
Trump didn't lift a finger to help them. I don't think he even acknowledged them.

All of the "pro-Drumph" rallies in New York, Florida, DC & Georgia have been 'lackluster' at best.
The people cheering for the courts have had much bigger crowds.

And that in itself is telling.

The MAGA morons have been classic bullies. 
Nobody stood up to them for a long time.

But people have started to.

The "Proud Boy" shitheads got their asses handed to them in Brooklyn...
By a bunch of drag queens.

If the MAGA idiots think they can start a civil war, let them.

A couple will get killed, and the rest will run for their lives. 
Cameras will record the insurrectionists, crowd sourcing will get most of them arrested, tried, convicted and sentenced...

Again.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:45 AM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Just as I thought.  They go after a whole bunch of them & then wait to see which one turns first. *

It is usually one of them way down the food chain.

As I said:  Survival is a very strong instinct.

Jerry Baumchen

* Standard procedure when dealing with multiple crooks.

PS)  I have this feeling that even Mark Meadows, when faced with time in prison, will turn on Trump.  Actually, why wouldn't he; Trump would flush him if given the opportunity.

Hi folks,

Looks like one of the Mar-A-Lago folks decided he should do what is best for himself:  Yuscil Taveras, . . . changed his testimony last month . . . after he changed . . . to a public defender

Witness in Trump docs case changed testimony after switching lawyers, special counsel says (nbcnews.com)

I fully expect to see more of this as these cases advance forward.

Jerry Baumchen

6 hours ago, grimmie said:

But they know turnout is nothing if Trump isn’t on the ballot

I am starting to see a lot of commentary about the 14th amendment and Trump's eligibility to even be on any ballots.

From what I've read if blue states don't put him on their ballots and red states do, either way legal challenges will likely end up before the USC, and that could be really interesting.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Chutkan set the trial for March 24. Game on.

Which is the day before Super Tuesday.  Just what Trump deserves for all the shit he has been flinging about judges/prosecutors/juries.  If it were anyone else I'd think they would take the hint and stop antagonizing people, but since it's Trump I'd say forget it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Which is the day before Super Tuesday.  Just what Trump deserves for all the shit he has been flinging about judges/prosecutors/juries.  If it were anyone else I'd think they would take the hint and stop antagonizing people, but since it's Trump I'd say forget it.

Too many of his people admire him for that. Because, in their view, they've lost over the last 50-70 years. They've lost the ability to call someone an n-word, or boy, or to call a woman babe, or grab her butt, or tell Polack jokes. They've lost the beloved high school mascots. They've lost the knowledge that most of the jobs they were interested in only hire some people -- i.e. people who "fit in" (and aren't likely to complain about boys-will-be-boys jokes and gestures). The standards of polite society have changed in that time, and people who knew they were superior because of the identifiable inferiority of minorities and women, whom they could insult without considering in any way.

So why wouldn't they admire Trump? He demonstrated what it takes to go back to being Bubba -- money, and a complete lack of inhibition.

Wendy P.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2023 at 9:48 PM, gowlerk said:

I’m not even American and yet I seem to have more faith in your system than many here. It will be fine. Most of the nutters have no guts to do anything anyway.

On 8/25/2023 at 9:52 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

What, exactly, would be 'worse'?

Not being snarky, genuinely curious.  ...

I'm actually concerned that Republican-dominated state legislatures will use the legal dodges they passed after the last election to discount votes from Democratic-leaning urban districts, and throw their electoral college votes to Trump even if their state votes for the Democratic candidate.  I think that could actually happen in Georgia, for example.  Here the legislature gave themselves the power to take over the administration of elections in counties they don't like, based on flimsy pretexts, and even to throw out those votes.  Ditching the votes from Fulton County alone, for example, would certainly throw Georgia in Trump's direction.  Of course if that happens in enough states to throw the entire election to Trump, would be the end of free elections.   How should the majority who didn't support Trump respond to that situation? 

Also I have been victimized by vandalism to my property, and implied threats from some neighbors, after putting up a Biden/Harris sign in the last election.  I had to install security cameras after that.  Somehow I don't think things will be any better next time around.

It doesn't take "most of the nutters" to do significant damage.  It only takes one, for example, to burn my house or barn down.  I do not understand the appeal of Trump as a cult leader, but I have heard enough people say things to make it clear that to them voting Democrat makes you worse than Pontius Pilate.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I'm actually concerned that Republican-dominated state legislatures will use the legal dodges they passed after the last election to discount votes from Democratic-leaning urban districts, and throw their electoral college votes to Trump even if their state votes for the Democratic candidate.  I think that could actually happen in Georgia, for example.  Here the legislature gave themselves the power to take over the administration of elections in counties they don't like, based on flimsy pretexts, and even to throw out those votes.  Ditching the votes from Fulton County alone, for example, would certainly throw Georgia in Trump's direction.  Of course if that happens in enough states to throw the entire election to Trump, would be the end of free elections.   How should the majority who didn't support Trump respond to that situation? 

Also I have been victimized by vandalism to my property, and implied threats from some neighbors, after putting up a Biden/Harris sign in the last election.  I had to install security cameras after that.  Somehow I don't think things will be any better next time around.

It doesn't take "most of the nutters" to do significant damage.  It only takes one, for example, to burn my house or barn down.  I do not understand the appeal of Trump as a cult leader, but I have heard enough people say things to make it clear that to them voting Democrat makes you worse than Pontius Pilate.

Thank you.

I mostly agree with the fear that R dominated (through gerrymandering) state legislatures will ignore the results of free & fair elections and install their choice of candidate. 

I have no clue how much they could get away with.

The courts made it pretty clear that any claims of 'election fraud' need real proof.

What would happen in court with a 'quasi-legal' election theft is a good question.

Keep in mind that those trying to steal the Presidential election contemplated what would happen if the populace rose up and fought the theft.
There were those who said "that's what the insurrection act is for", implying that they'd deploy the military to ensure their coup succeeded.

There's been a fair amount of discussion about that in a wide variety of places. 

General conclusions, from people who seem to know what they're talking about are that it would have gotten bloody. 
Some troops would have put down protests over Trump's theft.
Most, however, would have remembered that their loyalty (and their oath) is to the Constitution, not the President.
So the troops that fired on protestors would likely receive fire from other troops.

And once it started getting bloody, the protestors would also shoot back.

Just because the Right Wing nutcases insist on prancing around with all their guns, pretending to be tough, don't forget that they AREN'T the only ones with guns.

18 minutes ago, ryoder said:

AP: Judge holds Giuliani liable in Georgia election workers’ defamation case and orders him to pay fees

So the former prosecutor can't even comply with discovery. [facepalm]

So, at least he saved a bunch of money it was gonna cost him to provide discovery. He was going to lose anyway.