1 1
gowlerk

The Trump recession

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I'm saying, just like everything else this story has it's cycle.  In three weeks I believe they'll move on to something else and it will soon be forgotten.

As always, that'll depend on their ratings and what people want to hear.

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

In three weeks I believe they'll move on to something else and it will soon be forgotten.

Unless of course in three weeks hospital ICUs are starting to become overwhelmed with sick people who need respirators to keep them breathing in hopes of recovery. The whole idea at this point is to slow the rate of infection so that it does not hit all at once. That is why the best case scenario is that it will be a slow moving crisis. And that is why it will not be over in a few weeks. We don't want it to be over that quickly because that we can't handle that many at once. That's what is happening in Italy.

• Like 1

(edited)
5 minutes ago, gowlerk said:
10 minutes ago, airdvr said:

In three weeks I believe they'll move on to something else and it will soon be forgotten.

Unless of course in three weeks hospital ICUs are starting to become overwhelmed with sick people who need respirators to keep them breathing in hopes of recovery. The whole idea at this point is to slow the rate of infection so that it does not hit all at once.

Right, I heard something about how the U.S has only something like 100,000 ICU beds.

Edit: But given the numbers worldwide, so far that seems sufficient.

Edited by Coreece

17 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Right, I heard something about how the U.S has only something like 100,000 ICU beds.

If you are correct that the numbers of ICU beds in America is sufficient, what then is your plan for distributing the sick to available beds in each state? 

12 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
31 minutes ago, Coreece said:

If you are correct that the numbers of ICU beds in America is sufficient, what then is your plan for distributing the sick to available beds in each state? 

All I'm saying is that at this point, given the numbers, it doesn't look like most of those beds will even need to be used for those serious covid infections.

But ya, a plan should be in place just in case.

1 minute ago, Coreece said:

All I'm saying is that at this point, given the numbers, it doesn't look like most of those beds will even need to be used for those serious covid infections.

Agreed. How many can we send to your house?

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
5 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Agreed. How many can we send to your house?

The only medicinal supplies I have access to is weed, kava, alcohol and some guns if you need need something to ease the suffering.

3 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:
14 minutes ago, Coreece said:

The only medicinal supplies I have access to is weed, kava, alcohol and some guns if you need need something to ease the suffering.

Sounds good but hide the guns. Your patients are coming from Oregon.

No problem, they won't even see it coming.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

They can’t all be used for Covid-19 cases though. They still need to be used for all the other things ICU beds are usually used for. You also need ventilators to go along with the beds - otherwise what’s the point? 

16 minutes ago, jakee said:

They can’t all be used for Covid-19 cases though. They still need to be used for all the other things ICU beds are usually used for.

Given the current numbers, how many ICU bed's will be needed for covid?

But ya, resources are limited.  More reason to keep foreigners out that have no business being here right now until we have a better grasp on the situation.

40 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Silly question.  The current numbers don't reflect the reality that we're way behind on testing, and that as a result, the constants in the SIR model aren't accurately known yet.

1 minute ago, kallend said:
43 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Silly question. 

Perhaps, but the whole thing about 100,000 ICU beds being sufficient was more of an after thought given the numbers in China. 

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Turtle, one last time: you have way less money than you think and it is worth way less than you believe. 

You can't take money to the grave but you can take financial security to the grave. There are no circumstances when dying with money in the bank is not preferable to dying with no money in the bank. Play it safe.

Said like a person much closer to that end than I am.;P

1 minute ago, DJL said:

Note to ryoder, he's going to use the "Look at you guys cheering for X" line somehow when you do.

The media will find another topic . . . I don't think it will be three weeks - There is WAY to much meat on this bone for them to gnaw on.

PLUS - they know that the longer they keep it going, the more they hurt Trump.  This is like the biggest win win the media has had since the impeachment proceedings?

1 hour ago, jakee said:

They can’t all be used for Covid-19 cases though. They still need to be used for all the other things ICU beds are usually used for. You also need ventilators to go along with the beds - otherwise what’s the point? 

The ventilators is a good point. W/O research I'd guess 1/2 may need a ventilator and critically ill ones for sure. I'd agree with Coreece about limiting foreign nationals into a country W/O a C-19 negative test accompanying that passport. If S. Korea can deliver a test in 6 hours. Surely the cost of such testing would be a small sacrifice for travel or admittance.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

The media will find another topic . . . I don't think it will be three weeks - There is WAY to much meat on this bone for them to gnaw on.

PLUS - they know that the longer they keep it going, the more they hurt Trump.  This is like the biggest win win the media has had since the impeachment proceedings?

It'll definitely feed itself for a while.  This is too big of a stage for Trump to not want to get in the middle of the lights, he'll say Trump things and the reactions will echo for days and weeks.

I have to give the idiot credit. It was bound to happen even a quarter will stand on its edge if flipped a million times.

trump has announced that the US will start buying oil for the strategic oil reserve. This is a reversal from him ordering the draw-down of last week. Assuming this isn't a lie.Its exactly what I'd be doing to help shield domestic oil companies from the predatory practices of Russian and the Saudi idiot.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Unless of course in three weeks hospital ICUs are starting to become overwhelmed with sick people who need respirators to keep them breathing in hopes of recovery. The whole idea at this point is to slow the rate of infection so that it does not hit all at once. That is why the best case scenario is that it will be a slow moving crisis. And that is why it will not be over in a few weeks. We don't want it to be over that quickly because that we can't handle that many at once. That's what is happening in Italy.

What it WILL do is show the reality of US healthcare. Prolonged treatments requiring stuff like ventilators and beds are HORRENDOUSLY expensive in the US.

This virus will cause a huge number of bankruptcies for people with limited funds and even average levels of insurance.

But that’s no concern for rich folk. Hell. Look on the upside! There’ll be plenty of cheap property to add to your portfolio.

44 minutes ago, DJL said:

It'll definitely feed itself for a while.  This is too big of a stage for Trump to not want to get in the middle of the lights, he'll say Trump things and the reactions will echo for days and weeks.

Oh yeah - he'll jump on a bandwagon, no doubt.

It will be entertaining.  It will be a lot of face palm moments.

4 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Italy's experience would suggest that 10% of infected will require intensive care treatment.

I'm wondering what percentage of those requiring hospitalization end up on a ventilator.

I was reading related stories, trying to get a handle on how long this is all going to last. So here is a sobering idea:You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus  

I was talking to a friend a couple days ago. He is 63, non smoker but has a history of pneumonia. His wife is a pack a day smoker. His attitude was its no worse than flu. All a bunch of leftist media B.S. Needless to say he gets his info from FOX.